Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

any 84 coolant circulation hacks?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

my van's temps had been great, but now as summer is here, i turned off the rear heater (and front) and now my van seems to be nearly overheating again.

things are fine on the highway, but in stop and go traffic, it hit 120oC the other day. and it isn't even all that warm up here yet. 120 makes me nervous. and i think also puts the system under pressure - i think i smell a bit of coolant when it gets like that; or perhaps a cooked rodent in the heater box...

it seems to me that cutting off the heating loop on an 84 (the early first try of the waterbox) causes some serious circulation issues. i'm going to put some kind of bypass back there so that there is always some small amount of coolant flowing through the pipes without it going through the heater cores; basically a tee connector to keep the loop flowing.

anyway, i'm throwing this out there in case anyone has any similar experience with the early cooling systems.

fwiw, the rad is pretty new, it is a new decent water pump, hoses are on the right ends of the radiator (i s'pose i should triple check that).

edit: the radiator fan does comes on. the switch is the correct one.

Last edited by atomatom on Mon May 06, 2019 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

Are you verifying temps with an IR gun, making sure the radiator is getting uniformly hot? No fan when you get to 120°C? That's 248°F…pretty hot. What does the dash gauge look like?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

IMO you shouldn't have to modify the system if all is working as designed. I drive my 84 in Tucson with temps well into the 100s w/o any issue.

I did replace the radiator 7 years ago -- is yours the original?

Edit - Okay, I see the rad is 'fairly new' so maybe no help there.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

the fan comes on as expected, temps have been verified (but i'll do that again), and the rad is from 2012.

the stop and go traffic that makes it get hot. i know that using an aftermarket gauge means i've got too much information. i still have no answer to the question of what 'too hot' means for a vanagon. maybe 120oC is fine. but this was city driving, granted at rush hour, and not a mountain overpass.

before i go modifying, i'll drain the coolant to see if i find any blockages. it has the original steel pipes, perhaps those are getting funky on the inside.

if 120oC is indeed to hot, then it seems to point to some restriction. the annoying thing is that all winter/spring, with rear heater on, temps were be perfect around 87-90oC. i realise heater cores are extra 'radiators' working to dispel heat, and ones that don't obey the thermostat.

i know that the thermostat opens around 87, then is only fully open at around 100, so there will always be some lag in temps. i guess checking/replacing the thermostat would be the other obvious. thing to check.

anyway, i suppose i'm glad to have something to diagnose on my van. it has been running so well aside from this. i've heard many van owners talk about turning on the heat to cool their vans down. i get it, but that really sucks in the summer.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

Does your radiator fan come on?
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

yes, the rad fan works. i've read that the temp difference between front-back can easily be 10-20oC due to lag.

i suppose i should check the system for air. if there are any leaks in or out, i presume that might create some kind of air pockets in the up and down plumbing on it's way to the radiator.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

One thing I did change was to add a manual switch for the radiator fan.

The thermo-switch works fine but I can do something it cannot - I can anticipate the need for the fan,

If I can see that I am in slow & go traffic on a hot day I may switch the fan on before the coolant temp gets hot enough to trip the thermo-switch.

Same thing if I am starting up Mt Lemmon - why wait for the radiator to need the help?

I used a VW fog light switch as it fits in an empty dash spot and is 2-position letting me choose from 2 fan speeds when I use it.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

thanks ahwahnee! that makes a lot of sense. i mean, sure we'd rather it all be automatic, but that sounds a lot more comfortable that blasting the heat when it is hot out - which is neither automatic or comfortable.

i also have a tencent oil cooler, and while i did not spring for the one with the fan, i have thought that i might add one. if i do it on the cheap, i would just wire it to be on all the time (since the oil cooler has a theromstat).

to be honest, the main thing that has stopped me on the oil cooler fan is wondering what direction to send the fan in as the cooler is mounted at the bottom of the side vents. blow hot air up? but would that fight the air flow coming down when at speed? or blow it into the engine compartment.

anyway, i'll go check the basics too. a mechanic said he found the lining from a coolant bottle in there (this was before i replaced my rad), and the main system should probably perform better so i'll see if i can fix it.
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

The thermo-switch works fine but I can do something it cannot - I can anticipate the need for the fan,

If I can see that I am in slow & go traffic on a hot day I may switch the fan on before the coolant temp gets hot enough to trip the thermo-switch.

Same thing if I am starting up Mt Lemmon - why wait for the radiator to need the help?

I used a VW fog light switch as it fits in an empty dash spot and is 2-position letting me choose from 2 fan speeds when I use it.

Sorry to interrupt, do you mind sharing how you did this, I would like to do this too , installing a switch

Marc..
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

Marcq wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

Sorry to interrupt, do you mind sharing how you did this, I would like to do this too , installing a switch

Marc..

thread here, and also link to pre-made solution (strike that - it is all DIY) : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4066233
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
Marcq wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

Marc..

thread here, and also link to pre-made solution (strike that - it is all DIY) : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4066233

Thanks, Marc..
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

If you turn on the coolant flow through the rear heater does the engine run cooler?

Not sure how you could do so, but maybe you have the flow through the radiator reversed or some other glitch in how the hoses are hooked up?
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you turn on the coolant flow through the rear heater does the engine run cooler?

Not sure how you could do so, but maybe you have the flow through the radiator reversed or some other glitch in how the hoses are hooked up?

yeah, it is absolutely the case that the rear heater flow on makes the engine cooler. to the point where i'm considering putting in this tee to keep the flow going even when both heaters are turned off.

i had a search again for the 83-85 cooling diagram. nice one from campwestfalia: https://campwestfalia.com/vanagon-cooling-system-overview/

so i can see my idea is poor logic. while the extra flow would help cool down the right side a bit better, but the left side of the engine has only one path out for coolant (albeit far less resistance since the waterpump is stitting on that head)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

Cool Idea... Any picture of your Set-up?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

All connections were made just to the lower drivers side of the radiator/condenser... but specifics (even if I could recall them) might be of limited use as I have a late-Vanagon radiator fan on an early (84) Vanagon.

It was really just a matter of staring at the leads, finding the two I wanted to control (override) with the switch and confirming with a multimeter.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

The thermo-switch works fine but I can do something it cannot - I can anticipate the need for the fan...

There's another benefit to being able to switch the rad fan on, which is to proactively reduce the cooling system pressure spike that occurs after shutdown due to engine heat soak. The rad fan is a #30 circuit, always hot so the fan can run on after shutdown, and limiting that pressure spike is the reason why. So if you add a manual switch, you can run the fan deliberately for a few minutes when you know you're about to park it, and in so doing further reduce the cumulative stress on cooling system components.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Mon May 06, 2019 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

hmm - well. if i am reading the coolant flow diagram correctly, it may just be that the bloody hoses are on backwards. :< i shall remove the spare tire just to confirm the front is not switched too (which would negate the crappy plumbing job)

edit: the hose on top should be the return, and connected to the right pipe to the radiator. but in my van these are backwards

atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

ok, strike that. i think my hoses are correct as is. and the bloody bentley diagram is wrong (or to be generous misleading)

from https://www.gowesty.com/schematic-details.php?id=54

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: any 84 coolant circulation hacks? Reply with quote

Unlike most conventional radiator setups, the vanagon coolant flow is backwards. Coolant flows in the bottom and out the top of the radiator. What complicates it is both hose fittings are at the bottom of the radiator.

To be honest, off hand, I cant tell you which hose fitting is which without looking at it. Sorry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: