Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball joint to link pin conversion beam
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
suburbanlegend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Bugzilla has passed. He was making a ball joint conversion beam that accepted link pin trailing arms. Is anyone else making these now?

I would like to upgrade without completely re-inventing everything.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

I think acmecarco has a conversion beam but there +6 wider then stock.
https://acmecarco.com/sandrail-options-and-accessories/
suburbanlegend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

I saw that Acme conversion beam. I wanted to avoid coil over shocks and stick with torsion bars and adjusters at this time...

I’m just surprised nobody is doing a ball joint beam like Bugzilla did. People only complained about them in theory. I never heard anyone who had one ever complain about bump steer.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

Acme will build any conversion beam you want according to the owner when I talked to him. He just shows the coil over beam in the catalog. You have to call them to ask about building the beam.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suburbanlegend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Acme will build any conversion beam you want according to the owner when I talked to him. He just shows the coil over beam in the catalog. You have to call them to ask about building the beam.

Oh...now that sounds promising. I will look into that.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

Bump steer wasnt the issue, it was the caster change and I dont think either bugzilla or acme use stock length link pin arms. I wanted link pin in my ball joint car so I bought a 6 over beam with a center mount rack. I spent alot of hours welding a steel adapter to the balljoint panhead and cutting down the top of the panhead for tie rod clearance only to do what I should have done in the first place and buy a tubing bender. Now we are here lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
suburbanlegend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

Nice job. But I would like to avoid having to re-do all this stuff up front. I have so much that ties into the ball joint beam, including the gas tank, hood mount/pivot, cage supports. It's going to be expensive enough converting to all link pin hardware without re-engineering everything else too.

Hopefully the ACME beam works out.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

Someone makes an adapter set that will allow you to bolt a king/link beam to a ball joint car. I don't know what vendors may sell this but a quick search in the classifeds turned up this ad.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2128532

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
suburbanlegend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

I saw that adapter too. I think that’s my plan B. That would require modifications to my cage supports, front bumper, steering shaft...

I’m always looking for the path of least resistance. Wink

There was a “bolt on” option just a few years ago...now it’s like Thanos snapped his fingers and POOF...it’s gone.

Does anyone know how to go back in time to when Bugzilla was selling these?
Crying or Very sad

I will call ACME today.
suburbanlegend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

ACME is only building beams with through rods, for coil over shocks. Nothing with torsion beams.

I’m striking out here, unless I want to re engineer everything.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

suburbanlegend wrote:
ACME is only building beams with through rods, for coil over shocks. Nothing with torsion beams.

I’m striking out here, unless I want to re engineer everything.

So weld in adjusters Smile now you see how I ended up tubing the front end lol. No easy way to do it unfortunately.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

I’m surprised that no one makes a combo spindle that’s spaced further apart to allow the use of link pin trailing arms in a balljoint beam. It seems like you could buy a set of combo spindles & have a machine shop make the king pin portion longer & a spacer to locate the spindle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I’m surprised that no one makes a combo spindle that’s spaced further apart to allow the use of link pin trailing arms in a balljoint beam. It seems like you could buy a set of combo spindles & have a machine shop make the king pin portion longer & a spacer to locate the spindle.
what about the length of the arms? There not the same.
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

I was reading this thread and I just had an idea that is a little different but may work. Take a link pin beam and cut it into just the top and bottom tubes and mount them into the ball joint head and then make mounts with ball joint spacing but link pin beams and arms and spindles. Kinda like a conversion beam made with VW parts.

Ed
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

The po of my rail butchered a ball joint beam to fit my king pin frame. Imagine my suprise when I came home with a spindle to spindle rblt bj beam.
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

no1clyde wrote:
I was reading this thread and I just had an idea that is a little different but may work. Take a link pin beam and cut it into just the top and bottom tubes and mount them into the ball joint head and then make mounts with ball joint spacing but link pin beams and arms and spindles. Kinda like a conversion beam made with VW parts.

Ed

BINGO!

Buy a Warrior beam in any width or configuration you want, cut it in half and add width to the correct ball joint frame head spacing. Weld back together and reinforce with additional gussets (which really should be done anyways)

Use stock spindles, combo spindles, combo lift spindles, stock arms, longer arms, any configuration you want. You now buy link pin parts for a slightly modified beam, that's it.

Bugzilla wasn't reinventing the wheel, he was just making a product available so the average person could convert without the necessary fab skills.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

no1clyde wrote:

Ed

I have a beam like this sitting in my garage waiting for me to finish it up. I welded some 1"x0.120" round tube to one beam tube and 3/4" tubing in the other beam tube sleeved into eachother before I cut the towers and frame mount brackets off. That way you the separate torsion tubes stay at the same angle relative to each other. You could also skip that and "cut n turn" your beam without actually cutting and welding the torsion leaves mounts too.
suburbanlegend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

JWHracing wrote:
no1clyde wrote:

Ed

BINGO!

Buy a Warrior beam in any width or configuration you want, cut it in half and add width to the correct ball joint frame head spacing. Weld back together and reinforce with additional gussets (which really should be done anyways)

Use stock spindles, combo spindles, combo lift spindles, stock arms, longer arms, any configuration you want. You now buy link pin parts for a slightly modified beam, that's it.

Bugzilla wasn't reinventing the wheel, he was just making a product available so the average person could convert without the necessary fab skills.

I guess I’m that average person with very limited Fab skills, and even more limited spare time to work this all out.

Thanks for the input though. I will look into finding someone locally who can help me out with something like this. Know anyone left in the Phoenix area?
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to VW's and have a 71 super and a BJ beam pan that I intend on making into a Class 11. It seems that if you space the LP tubes out to match a BJ frame head you screw up the caster geometry because the arms are no longer parallel? Right? This assumes you use the stock LP spindles. Or maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying.

This was referring to JWHracing's post.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint to link pin conversion beam Reply with quote

NONE of the VW or Porsche beams from the factory have parallel trailing arms at any point in their travel. They are ALL designed with the spindle ends of the arms farther apart than the beam ends. So any stock VW or Porsche beam produces substantial caster change through the range of wheel travel. That caster change increases if you allow longer wheel travel with stock length arms or install longer trailing arms. The stock ball joint spacing at the spindle is farther apart than link pin spacing as well as the beam tube spacing being greater.

However, link pin spacing at the spindle is still greater than ball joint beam tube spacing. If you use king pin arms and spindles on ball joint beam tube spacing, the spindle ends of the arms are STILL farther apart than at the beam tubes and there will still be caster change of the same sort as with a stock setup. But that caster change will be markedly less than stock. In my opinion, that is a GOOD thing.

The only thing I've ever thought that MIGHT be a reason for that dramatic stock caster change is to maintain a relatively consistent steering effort through wheel travel with the stock setup. That doesn't apply with a center-load rack and pinion whether the beam is ball joint spacing or link pin.

Some who do not understand the stock geometry nor what it is changed to with different beam spacing make statements that they have not yet been able to support in actual fact on this or any other public forum I've seen.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: