Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

My Smallcar Subaru conversion had ONLY a ground at the end of the transaxle.
Does a WBX have a ground from the engine to the body?
It should.

It seems really poor design to rely on a ground that crosses about 5 or 6 transaxle housings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(photo copied from an unrelated Samba thread showing a corroded transaxle)

Here's a perfect example where starter current may choose the internal steel transaxle shafts and bearings over the corroded housing junctures.

Cuz if those connections corrode, each subsequent resistance is additive. Consequently the current will pass thru the nice shiny gearbox shafts and bearings.

And everyone knows what happens to bearings when you arc electricity across them, right?

It causes pits on the bearing surfaces.
On the races, and on the rollers.
Then the bearings don't last as long.
And they start to shed metal into the oil, and things get worse, contamination compounds.

Seems like a good idea to add a ground from the starter to the body.
And another from the alternator to the body.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon May 06, 2019 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
...Does a WBX have a ground from the engine to the body?

It did when it left the factory... (LH head to DS engine bay sheetmetal, below coil).

Sodo wrote:
Seems like a good idea to add a ground from the starter to the body.
And another from the alternator to the body.

Indeed! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Does a WBX have a ground from the engine to the body?

Answered long ago in the two ground topics:
2.1L: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548492
1.9L: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662834

TLDR: yes.

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

Mine is in place in the origial location but I replaced the tired bradied cable with a black ground cable.

Sodo wrote:
...Seems like a good idea to add a ground from the starter to the body. And another from the alternator to the body.

I added a ground cable from the starter to the body. Seemed ike the place where it would do the most good.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

May be a placebo effect, but my van has seemed to run much more smoothly since adding an alternator to body ground several months ago. I did the starter to body ground several months before that with no noticeable changes.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

OK so ensure your ground from the cylinder head to the body is in good order.

Add a nice fat ground from your starter to the van for the high-current draw of the starter.

Perhaps another from the alternator to the van, appx equal size wire as the hot 12v+ wire. For the case where battery is low, and the alternator is putting out max current. This would proaly e redundant to the ground on the cylinder head (but a shorther path)

Thinking about possible assaults to the Vanagon transaxle lifetime, I started to wonder about that forward ground strap. On an OLD van, the transaxle lives in a pretty bad environment, covered with salt and humidity, water splashing, etc. There's appx 5 or 6 connections.

-engine to bellhousing (definitely corrosion here!)
-bellhousing to trans case
-trans case to gear garrier
-(syncro gear carrier to low-gear housing)
-to nose cone
-to ground strap.

This suggests you should actually DELETE the front transaxle ground, protecting the transaxle from ever becoming a ground path. There is no need for it. Resistance adding up on an old van in the 5 or 6 consecutive housing connections poses a risk to current choosing your precious, shiny, clean transaxle bearings as a ground path.

========== OK simplified ========

The proposal (for an old van) is to delete the forward ground to eliminate risk of current passing thru the transaxle bearings, and add a similarly sized ground at the starter. Anyone have comments on this idea?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

You really shouldn't add any ground wire that isn't heavy enough to carry starter cranking current all by itself. One day that might be the only engine/trans ground and it needs to up to safely doing the job it could face if the other grounds failed or were left unhooked.

Mark

Sodo wrote:
Perhaps another from the alternator to the van, appx equal size wire as the hot 12v+ wire. For the case where battery is low, and the alternator is putting out max current. This would proaly e redundant to the ground on the cylinder head (but a shorther path)....
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
You really shouldn't add any ground wire that isn't heavy enough to carry starter cranking current all by itself. One day that might be the only engine/trans ground and it needs to up to safely doing the job it could face if the other grounds failed or were left unhooked.

Mark

Sodo wrote:
Perhaps another from the alternator to the van, appx equal size wire as the hot 12v+ wire. For the case where battery is low, and the alternator is putting out max current. This would probably be redundant to the ground on the cylinder head (but a shorther path)....

I was thinking about that failure condition you mention,,,,
Certainly you want more than one ground. Maybe more than two.

Mark, if the engine and transaxle grounds were disconnected, could these grounds be subjected to starter current?

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
...Mark, if the engine and transaxle grounds were disconnected, could these grounds be subjected to starter current?

Not Mark, but I believe the answer is 'yes'.

I have seen cars where a failed ground cable resulting in starter current finding a path via a choke cable or even the speedometer cable. Once those parts have been heated until they are glowing red (or melting) they are never really the same.

Here is the cable I used to replace the original ground below the coil:

Here is the cable I added from the body to the starter:

No penalty for having too many grounds, just too few or too small.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

Plenty of old air cooled VW busses and bugs had accel cables acting as grounds.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

It is the metal things that somehow join the engine/tranny to the body that will try to act as grounds if no better ground path exists. Those brown ground wires are attached to the body so they are not in that category per se.

Mark
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

I used battery ground cables from the flaps tons of length choices cheap and done.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It is the metal things that somehow join the engine/tranny to the body that will try to act as grounds if no better ground path exists. Those brown ground wires are attached to the body so they are not in that category per se.
Mark

Ok The starter goes to ground on the engine/tranny.,,,,
You’re saying those ground wires cannot become a ground path for the starter/engine/tranny? ( if Ground strap disconnected)
It seems to me they would ground the starter motor.

Is any part of the driveline grounded?
Everything is rubber mounted, maybe theres no ground circuit thru the driveline.
Maybe by the parking brake cable.
Are there other driveline grounds?

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

I was talking specifically about the idea of adding more grounds between the engine/trans and body as well as between the alternator case and body, not about grounds in general.

The starter uses its metal case contact with the engine/trans to carry ALL of the starting amps back to the battery negative post, through the ground straps that connect the engine/trans to the body (and then through the negative cable from the body to the battery negative post). If you add another such ground make sure they can each carry the full starting current in the event that they become the only such starting ground.

The alternator works the same way, using its metal case to carry ALL of the charging amp to the negative side of the battery(s) going through the engine/tranny to body ground straps.

I've seen various vans that had poor ground contact between the alternator case and alternator bracket and/or poor contact between the bracket and the engine case. This poor metal to metal contact causes a voltage drop in the charging circuit. The suggestion to add a ground between the alternator and body is one way to help this but it is better to add that wire between the alternator case and the engine case if that is where the problem is. Then fix or supplement the grounds between the engine case and the body but make sure they can each carry the starting current in the event that they become the only such starting ground some time in the future.

Mark

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

Sodo wrote:
Perhaps another from the alternator to the van, appx equal size wire as the hot 12v+ wire. For the case where battery is low, and the alternator is putting out max current. This would proaly e redundant to the ground on the cylinder head (but a shorther path)....
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Is any part of the driveline grounded?
Everything is rubber mounted, maybe theres no ground circuit thru the driveline.
Maybe by the parking brake cable.

there was a poster here several months ago that was turning his flexible braided steel brake lines red hot during cranking due to a misplaced transmission ground strap that was not making a true ground connection.

i added a 2ga ground to a mounting bolt of the new diesel starter i put in, as well as a 4ga replacement of the braided ground strap under the ig coil.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

2G ground from starter to chassis
4G wire from Alt case to that same starter GND on the starter side not the chassis side
10G wire from coil housing to the Chassis side of the 2G Starter Gnd wire

clean and inspect the chassis gnds seasonally as well as battery terminals.

note that a dull grey terminal is lead oxide and has less conductivity than a shiny and sealed terminal connection.
seal with your choice of smear or spray on snake oils.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Sodo wrote:

there was a poster here several months ago that was turning his flexible braided steel brake lines red hot during cranking due to a misplaced transmission ground strap that was not making a true ground connection.

Yikes Dan I wonder if his mainshaft ball bearing looked like the sparker wheel on a BIC® lighter......

Anyway most vans don't have braided brake lines. And how lucky is it - that someone noticed that brake line (maybe smelled it)?

It seems like the brake cable could ground the drivetrain, but not as reliably as (external) steel braided rake lines.
Moreso if it was pulled/tight.
I wonder what other grounds there are that cross the rubber isolators?

I think the direct starter ground is most obviously a good plan. I've seen a lot of corrosion at the bellhousing juncture on my van, (the steel dowels frozen into their bores) I wonder if it was ---- exacerbated --- by the current resistance at that juncture.

The ground from the alternator body is meeting some technical resistance here, and I understand it.
But that's a 'failure mode'.
And no van (other than DanHoug) has a direct alternator ground, so it's an enhancement, to better enable 100% of the output to arrive at the battery.
The starter is intermittent, seldom, but alternator power is "ongoing".
And incidentally, much more amp-hours come out of the alternator than the starter.
Where the on-going current can "serve corrosion" moreso than the intermittent starter burst. Except is some situation where it's already fooked and gets hot.

But it's the high-current of the starter thats prob the biggest risk to the transaxle.
And theres NO positive/useful/compelling reason to ground the front end of the transaxle (AFAIK).
Especially an old transaxle with a buildup of resistance (a few ohms here, a few ohms there, ....... CUMULATIVE......)

Being fairly focused on deleting assaults to my transaxle
---->(rather than under-engining)<----
I'm gonna move my ground to the starter. Wink

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

Yes, the lower starter mounting stud is the place I use for an extra ground strap. There are some nearby open holes in the lip of the frame rail where diesel engine mounting bars would otherwise go. M8 bolt holes, scrape the paint off, attach pre-made FLAPS ground cable, usually black coated. If too long I coil the new cable around a screwdriver handle first to take up any excess length in the new #4 cable.

I have been called on to help countless people with their charging systems and aux battery charging issues. I measure the ground voltage drop on the alternator case as a matter of course. Not that often a big problem but sometimes. It needs to be checked under load, like with high beams on and dash fan on speed 2.

Mark
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

maybe we should start a discussion on 'sacrificial anodes' for our transaxles in extreme environments.
california and arizona need not worry.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle ground strap - is this really the only engine ground? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
maybe we should start a discussion on 'sacrificial anodes' for our transaxles in extreme environments.
california and arizona need not worry.

I wonder if current passing thru it, and across resistive interfaces makes it an anode (or cathode).
Might as well move that ground strap for that reason too.

Here's pics of the pinion bearing bore of my transaxle case before I had it re-sleeved.
I don't know what could have caused this.
There can e an electolyte on the outside,,,, very strange to see this on the inside.
My Van is a '90.... but this case is '85, so this is not my van's original case.
Evil or Very Mad Someone put this POS case "in" my trans. Evil or Very Mad

Most transaxles are not in extreme environments cuz the van is already long gone.
The current extreme environment is
    Big miles,
    contaminated lubricant
    big engines
    and
    being under a lead foot.
    And other reasons too

Last edited by Sodo on Tue May 07, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: