Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catsaysrawr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

I ordered a rear hatch seal from wagen werks and for the past hour I've been trying to figure out which direction it goes any help would be amazing before I glue it in 1971 westfalia bus
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

It looks to me like the squared off flat side should be towards the bus. But I have’nt put one in so may want to see what others say.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

that has got to be one of the cheapest seals I have ever seen...the profile isn't even close to correct.

usually they go in sides/back squared off and a channel towards the opening. the top would have a bit of a flap. I have no idea how that one could even work with that poor profile. it looks like some generic sponge rubber just glued together

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Catsaysrawr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

I got it from wagen werks.....
Smushy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

Looks like the same seal I recently installed, square side towards vehicle/channel but the fit was hard to get it right. But it does close fine after some working.
1973 Type2 Kombi
1977 Rabbit
1961 & 1964 Heilite Single Wheel
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that has got to be one of the cheapest seals I have ever seen...the profile isn't even close to correct. it looks like some generic sponge rubber just glued together

Hello, YES.
When I first saw the post this morning, that's the same thing I thought. I was going to say "send that POS back", but didn't... I am trying to be nice today....
Yet, you get what you pay for. And, I hope it wasn't much.... He could have gotten enough crappy weather stripping at home depo to do the cargo/slider door also.... for what he paid for that thing.
But, it ain't no show bus. So, if it keeps water out, he's at least accomplished something, besides sending money.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

I see what the problem is, you thought a seal that's 1/2 the price of everyone else's was going to be easy to use and work properly. https://www.wagen-werks.com/rear-hatch-seal-type-2-bus-1968-to-1971/ Sometimes saving the $40 isn't worth the asspain involved in making the "budget" one work.

The Home depot weatherstrip job isn't all that crazy, I did it years ago when seals of any kind or price were NLA, it lasted for ~ 5 years.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

One more thing, I don’t think you even need to glue it if it fits properly.
I only say this because I watched Robbie pull his off once to clean behind it and pop it back in. I know I didn’t need any glue for the slider seal.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Catsaysrawr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

I didn't realise there was differences.... I was just asking what direction sorry....
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

Catsaysrawr wrote:
I didn't realise there was differences.... I was just asking what direction sorry....

No need to be sorry, everyone has to learn the hard way once. If any part is 1/2 the price of what everyone else is selling it for it may be worth your time to do some research or ask first.
At least others can learn from your experience this time and decide for themselves if the savings are worth the headache.

As for what direction?, it doesn't look like it'll fit properly either way from here, I'd be directing it back to the box it came in for a return.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Catsaysrawr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

I tried to call wagen works when I saw what everyone was saying but they didn't answer
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

It's a real PITA finding out the hard way. Some vendors are better than others and even then the 'good' vendors can sell utter crap.

I like airheadparts.com for seals both for my bus and Ghia. I would buy from Bus Depot, GO Westy ($$$), Bug Haus, Wolfsburg West, Air-cooled.net to name a few too. They all have good customer service. But you still need to research and it pays to choose the quality option if you have one. Hit the classifieds too for NOS or good used parts.

How bad was your old seal?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
One more thing, I don’t think you even need to glue it if it fits properly.
I only say this because I watched Robbie pull his off once to clean behind it and pop it back in. I know I didn’t need any glue for the slider seal.

Hell yes I did! Still do, every car wash. It always snaps in to place with minimal effort, no rust-encouraging glue anywhere.

But it also cost $95 in 2011 money.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plimthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone please help which way does the real hatch seal go in Reply with quote

I'd go with the way it is in the last picture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: