Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

original axle boots?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: original axle boots? Reply with quote

This pic is my ‘60 bug. It has the factory installed engine confirmed by the B/C. Mileage is 79,000+. Just wondering if the axle boots could still be original. They do not leak (knock on wood). I’ve replaced boots on other swing axle bugs I have owned with the split boots. Were the clamps the same on the one piece replacement boots as the original factory clamps? Just wondering.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: original axle boots? Reply with quote

Since it still has the non-worm clamps and solid boots and it's low mileage, I would say Yes
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: original axle boots? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Since it still has the non-worm clamps and solid boots and it's low mileage, I would say Yes

That would certainly give credence to the statement that “The quality of the presently available VW parts is not what it once was.”
Reports of Empi boots cracking and leaking after six months does not exactly inspire confidence. I know installation procedure is a factor in the longevity of these boots but still...
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: original axle boots? Reply with quote

maybe, maybe not. Some of the exhaust components appear to have been renewed

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: original axle boots? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
maybe, maybe not. Some of the exhaust components appear to have been renewed

Yes. I replaced muffler and heater boxes and cleaned and painted various engine tin pieces. Previous owner had done seats, door panels and headliner and it had been repainted at some point in its original L41 black. So since it was no longer an unrestored original, I completed the restoration as best I could. Transmission has a serial number that is close to the production date of the car (Feb. 23, 1960). Other dated parts, like speedometer and distributor were also close to production date. Regardless, it’s just a fun car to drive.

When I attend car shows, it is always the unrestored originals that I most enjoy looking at, be they VW bugs or Model T or A Fords. Fascinating stuff.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: original axle boots? Reply with quote

Nice car!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: original axle boots? Reply with quote

What is clamped on the axle tube? Sway bar?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: original axle boots? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
What is clamped on the axle tube? Sway bar?

It's a rear brake hose bracket. Prior to '61 the brackets were bolted on instead of welded to the axle tube.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: original axle boots? Reply with quote

Thanks, I've really got to spend more time under Oldies.

Old VWs, I mean.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: