Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Bone Bus" Part 2
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

What part is it? That peened over dingus? I have a bus here for parts I could look at

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Numeros 41, 42, 43, 37, 38. The hinge thingy and the hardware.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Ken at The Busco should still have some parts buses. Isn’t Maisy, Stu’s old bus still there? Not sure if that part is the same on late bay.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Early Bays only unfortunately '68 - '71 Sad

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

What about 72? Try Ken

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Sent an email to Chris in Oakland, pretty sure '72 is a wacky change up.

So I'm looking at the parts manual, and the PN for the piece is 361827361. Which happens to be the same PN for a Type 3 hood hinge stay. I wonder if some T3 owner can confirm / deny they're the same part. Where's that poop bucket guy?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

eeeeewww...

yea. I will post a pic of what I have. if it's going to disable the rear hatch that could be an issue...but the bus is such a steaming pile of shit...I could weld a hinge to it.

can you wait till tomorrow?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Rumor has it some type 3's share the same parts as late split/early bay, the big difference on a 72+ is the length/shape of the hinge arm (#35), I don't know if the rest of the mechanism changed too.
What's F'd up the worse?, #41?, worst case scenario if a trip is threatened would be to remove the torsion springs and bring a stick to prop up the hatch with.
No doubt you know how dangerous those springs are, treat them with respect.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

yea. I will post a pic of what I have. if it's going to disable the rear hatch that could be an issue...but the bus is such a steaming pile of shit...I could weld a hinge to it.

can you wait till tomorrow?

Yea, I can wait. It will more than enough make it inoperable to hold itself open since it ties into the torsion bars. I'll appreciate you just taking a look, even if you don't get me anything.

I just have to accept that I'm not going to get it done before Saturday. Trip isn't ruined, but I think I'm just going to leave it shut. I can open it, but then will not be able to shut it without prying down on the joint, levered from the torsion bar.

If I don't report back after the weekend, its because I took a torsion bar to the dome at 100+ mph. But of course, I will be careful Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

No doubt you know how dangerous those springs are, treat them with respect.

pfft. I ain't scared. I have a clench wrench, gator grip and a bucket of steam. what could *possibly* go wrong?

and for what it's worth, they are under the most tension in the closed position. I did this dance a lifetime ago...I just have to look again to see what I did

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
prying down on the joint, levered from the torsion bar.

I usually pry a beer at The Torsion Bar. Great happy hour too Wink
(Abscate got that) Very Happy

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Hmm, I could go for a beer right now. Thanks again Skills, have a beer for me.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Well, bad news bears Sad
I went to open my rear hatch and it came down and smacked me on the head. Looks like my hatch stay is worn beyond. I had to get a bolt in and use a screwdriver to get it to close. So anyone have a rear hatch stay with hardware laying around so I don't have to drive up to Lake Elsinore this week? Laughing

Now call me crazy, but your #41 doesn't look messed up to me. It looks like to me that all you need is #42 and a 38. OR a BAB (big ass bolt) and a nut. Just a thought. Maybe I'm seeing this wrong. But could get you through the weekend (maybe sleeve the bolt with a copper/cast iron pipe to protect #41 and #35)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Here's a good picture of what it looked like before the rear most bolt snapped.

Versus the driver's side

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

So I love not planning things and winging it. But any of you farts have some camping recommendations outside of Agua Fria National Monument in Arizona?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Just east of your location is a bunch of NF. You’re real close to Tonto NF, we’ve camped there in Bones before. Safe travels.
’65 Deluxe Build
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

been looking at the map and might end up near there. Will report back after camping.

Also, have a funny electrical ordeal that I haven't done troubleshooting with:
Emergency flasher works
Left turn signal works, right turn signal works
BUT when I push my signal lever right, the dash lights flash once then not again. But the right side exterior lights still flash. What gives? Eh?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Your 9-pin relay has three internal relays with different functions. One of the functions is to stop the dash lights when flashing when one external light is not drawing enough current, (usually from a burnt out bulb,*) but you have a '68 bus so cleaning and adding grounds is your lot in life now. The tip-off is that the dash indicator works fine 2/3 of the time, so I'm banking on right rear because it was the dim one I kept telling you about. Razz

The dash green arrow bulbs are on the #15 circuit, and the flasher relay grounds them to turn them on when enough current passes through.

Between New River and Arcosanti there are a few dozen exits, all which have dirt roads except Black Rock Canyon. Wing it by the light of the crescent moon and enjoy the silhouettes of the saguaros against the Milky Way.

Robbie

--

*49 CFR § 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. S9.3.6 Turn signal lamp failure. Failure of one or more turn signal lamps such that the minimum photometric performance… …is not being met must be indicated by the turn signal pilot indicator by a… …significant change in the flashing rate, except… …on any vehicle equipped to tow trailers.

You have a tow hitch. e q u i p p e d. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

Emergency flasher works
BUT when I push my signal lever right, the dash lights flash once then not again. But the right side exterior lights still flash. What gives? Eh?

Can’t say I’ve ever had it do that before. I believe it is the original flasher relay. I bet it’ll start working again, Bones is alive ya know.
’65 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Fri May 24, 2019 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
been looking at the map and might end up near there. Will report back after camping.

Emergency flasher works

What robbie said: Clean your connections. It'll come back.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: