Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Bone Bus" Part 2
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Wheres the "drinking beers with Robbie & buses, over the top, beach run pics"?? Rolling Eyes

ah fine Rolling Eyes

Started out any good day by polishing my knob Wink Highly recommend a good knob polish.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Painted the exhaust that I got flanged, you bet your ass I'm tired of those doughnut gaskets. VHT flame proof primer and what felt like 20 coats of VHT clear. Enjoy my jankass paint setup.

Got new half shafts, as the old LOBRO CVs were toast. I have a feeling that the rear is indexed just a tad too high.

Here's me staring at the engine before doing the cam break in praying to Heinz Nordhoff that everything will go smoothly. Spoiler, it did. That's one hell of a 20 minutes, the neighbors hated it.

Finally out of my garage since its been there for what feels like forever.

And of course the first drive was to get burritos by the beach.

I'd like to thank Modelo for making this all come together.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

congrats!

I have to ask...what happened to richP? he pretty much went POOF and hasn't posted since this mess.

I've been stalking Tram because I have D/A/N and Neena's bus here...I want to punch that asshole in the throat truth be told....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
congrats!

I have to ask...what happened to richP? he pretty much went POOF and hasn't posted since this mess.

I've been stalking Tram because I have D/A/N and Neena's bus here...I want to punch that asshole in the throat truth be told....

Thanks man, feels good to be driving again. Now to do all the cosmetic stuff.

Rich is probably out driving and enjoying his life with his bus, I hope. But this bus isn't his problem anymore, its my problem.

And yea that one got a little weird at the end there. Make sure you get some undercoating around the hole.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

I have spoken with the man at length about this situation,
And you would be foolish to assume that everything done to that bus was Tram's work.

Regardless of what the customer might say..

Like many of these buses, there have been several POs over the years.

Good on Brian here for not bashing.

He has different tastes and different goals than Rich did.

And,
Yeah,
Some experience can give you insight into what you are dealing with... Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you

And you would be foolish to assume that everything done to that bus was Tram's work.

Regardless of what the customer might say..

Like many of these buses, there have been several POs over the years.

Ahh, Crying or Very sad I want to see the Jew fro kraut come out and play Laughing Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

and I have seen emails....so they wanted good advice, didn't get it...

instead of welding stuff it was pooped over.

bottom line....he was the project manager and failed, period.

not to derail Brians thread anymore, we can do that when I start one for them...because you know I will.

if anyone did this to him, he'd be in orbit...and THAT'S a fact. we can all get behind the mechanical issues...they happen. the build quality is fucking disgusting

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

not to derail Brians thread anymore, we can do that when I start one for them...because you know I will.

I have enough shit trails in my boxers, no need for more here Wink

So question for curiosity, not for future plans. Has anyone successfully shifted an early bed from side to side? I'm wondering how hard it would be to make a late style camper setup but in the fashion of an early bay.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

I have enough shit trails in my boxers, no need for more here Wink

So question for curiosity, not for future plans. Has anyone successfully shifted an early bed from side to side? I'm wondering how hard it would be to make a late style camper setup but in the fashion of an early bay.

It wont be hard. Making floor plate mounting holes and front kick panel mods Id think. Or find a full bed Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

I do like the idea of a full width bed, but also having some cabinets sounds nice. Still trying to figure out a good floor plan. Also thinking of doing some nice laminated floors so when I spill some beer it'll just roll out

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I do like the idea of a full width bed, but also having some cabinets sounds nice. Still trying to figure out a good floor plan. Also thinking of doing some nice laminated floors so when I spill some beer it'll just roll out

With a full width, you can still have the headbanger and cabinets behind the seats if you want. Looking at my two buses Saturday may give you an idea.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Nice job Brian getting your bus engine dialed in. Yup, a stock 1600 won't push you in the seat under acceleration but it will get you from point A to point B if it's driven by an adult Laughing Wink .

P.S., why the hate towards to donuts?! Confused All three of my dubs have them with zero exhaust leaks. I've never had issues with the exhaust donuts in 40 years of VW ownership. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Bill, I don’t think you’re installing 2019 donuts. The 2020 donuts are even worse. The 2017 donuts were pretty good, but don’t even get me started on the 2018 donuts.... Wink

It takes us minutes to attach our exhaust systems. Smile No RTV, no clearancing the mustache bar, no fiddle-fucking with soda can shims..... Bolts in, tighten, drive.

There’s a reason that Brian’s break-in drive made us seriously question things like:
“Where should we get burritos?”

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Pleased to see you driving around Cool

I'll bring my Stock '76 down to salty air and we can do some street racing.
Be nice to show you this crazy new thing they call 'fuel injection'.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Lookin' good. If you are going to run it that high in the ass-end please cut the wheel wells and stick some Fat meats on Jackman's in there. Sideburn chops, handlebar mustache and a "Union 76" ball cap will round out the look.

Nice to see it back on the road.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Lookin' good. If you are going to run it that high in the ass-end please cut the wheel wells and stick some Fat meats on Jackman's in there. Sideburn chops, handlebar mustache and a "Union 76" ball cap will round out the look.

Nice to see it back on the road.

I think I'm going to refrain from the assless chaps and just work on getting the front end perked up and take the back down.

tommu wrote:
Be nice to show you this crazy new thing they call 'fuel injection'.

Not going to lie, I was thinking about doing a 1600 dual port mexi fuel injection. But I decided I was fine being captain slow for the time being.

In retrospect, the only things I regret about this engine is:
-Not going 69.5mm on the crank
-Not spending 72 consecutive hours polishing the heads
-Not decking the case to get a .045" deck height

But whatever, I think it's more fun to drive than worry.

See y'all on the road Cool

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
But whatever, I think it's more fun to drive than worry.

Words to live by. Dancing

Keep up the good work, Brian. Good to see you're back in the bus lane.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Words to live by. Dancing
Keep up the good work, Brian. Good to see you're back in the bus lane.

Thanks Kent, feels good. You ever coming back west? I need some cabinet in the bus now Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Moving to Albuquerque next month! Can't wait! The mosquitoes know I'm leaving, and are bulking up on my blood.

Cabinet? Heck yeah, I love making van/bus cabinets.
Be glad to make one for you. Dancing
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Really? I have a few ideas for some stuff, but I'm sure you could make something nifty for me.

I made the plunge to replace the transmission and man I got real lucky on timing. Managed to pick it up yesterday as the shutdowns are in affect. Was still able to get new fluid, so just kinda swapped out the transmission. Holy cow, the bus is incredibly quiet now without the ring and pinion screaming at me.

For me to remember:
Transmission 53,560
Oil 53,550

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bone Bus" Part 2 Reply with quote

Nice!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: