Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting anew with a solid 69
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

8 years ago I got my 71 Super, it barely ran and was rusted out. But I learned and worked on it and been daily driving it since. I may have gotten the mechanical side of things fixed but the rust has not gotten any better (they say rust never sleeps) and neither have my welding skills, so I finally got to the point that it was time to pick a solid car to start over with.

I was thinking about getting a diesel rabbit as I loved the thought of filling up every other month. But ultimately I love these Bugs and already have the tools and knowledge for them. So I picked up this solid 69.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This car is virtually rust free, there is a small spot of rust in the passenger side rain rail that I have scrubbed out and will primer and touch up, and some light surface rust under the brake fluid reservoir that I will be taking care of, as well as making sure nothing else in the area is affected.

One of the sump plate bolts were sheared off. So this morning I drilled and extracted it. I had a cheap extraction set I got years ago that I never had any luck with and almost all the bits were broken, so this time I decided to spend some money and get a quality set, I went with Viking brand. The extraction went smooth, I punched the middle of the stud multiple times, as it did not shear flat and flush so I kept punching it to make the divot large enough to guide the drill bit, the drill went in easy, I pounded in the extractor and pulled it out. These jobs are so much easier with quality tools. I ordered some 6mx7m studs because I thought the threads would get damaged but they look great and cleaned up easily with a tap, so I will be putting in a straight 6m stud when I pick up some locktite.

This upcoming weekend I will be overhauling the brakes as the front soft lines are cracked and leaking and the rear passenger is collapsing. As well as getting the blinkers working again (looks to be just replacing the relay) I got my parts coming in from Wolfsburgwest.

In the near future I will be tracking down some original seats. The one currently in there is pretty nice and the seat was actually modified to fit the stock rails so it was a pleasant surprise to find no Hackery there. However, the seat interferes with the heat levers as it’s too wide, so it has to go.

The driver window track will need to be addressed as it falls off the track when rolled all the way down.

Interior is in amazing condition except missing the package tray carpeting.

I eventually want to replace the H30/31 with a Solex 30pict1 with power circuit, it’s my understanding that the H30/31 does not have the clearance for an alternator but the 30pict1 does, paired with a Bosch 019.

I want to swap the generator for an alternator for more stable power output.

And eventually I want to swap the front drums out for Ghia front discs and if I’m feeling ambitious the tears for type 3 drums.

I’m excited to get this thing up and running as a daily driver and making sure to keep all rust at bay.
205T (Bill)
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Nice looking car. Get a solid state voltage regulator for that generator and your voltage will be as stable as an alternator. Yes, they are that good. Unless you are planning to put in a huge stereo and a bunch of driving lights, the generator makes plenty of power.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Nice looking car. Get a solid state voltage regulator for that generator and your voltage will be as stable as an alternator. Yes, they are that good. Unless you are planning to put in a huge stereo and a bunch of driving lights, the generator makes plenty of power.

Thank you, I wasn’t to big on the color at first but it has already grown on me.

Thanks for the tip, I think I will do that then as I already have a solid state regulator in a box somewhere. It’s my understanding that generators are a bit hardier anyways. My current plan for a stereo is to get one of those Bluetooth speakers to connect the phone to and charge it in the house overnight. As for lights, I’m going to move my H4s over.
205T (Bill)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

That's a GREAT purchase !!!

I also recommend the generator and a solid state regulator.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Nice, 1969 is a good year. 1st year for IRS in the 4spd. Still relatively uncomplicated.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Great looking car!
tnjyoung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Looks wonderful! I am working to restore a 1974 Super Beetle, my first restoration ever and I am making mistakes, but learning. Mine was actually my "mother's", but this past weekend she had me over for my 45th birthday and gave me a card with a picture of the car and said "it's yours". I nearly fell in the floor as we are not a wealthy family, rather families that are probably right in the middle of income earners.

I can't wait to get the brakes sorted out as that is all that is in the way of mine being on the road, but they have kicked my but.

Here is a photo of mine, which is also virtually rust free with the exception of some very poorly done floor pan patches. I will likely buy some new pans at some point, but right now I just want to drive this thing around a bit.

I love your bug, your story, and I think you made a great purchase, too!

Good luck!

[img]

[img][/img][/url]
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
That's a GREAT purchase !!!

I also recommend the generator and a solid state regulator.

Thank you, I’m going to go that route. Some (most) times simpler is better.

BIGMIKEY wrote:
Nice, 1969 is a good year. 1st year for IRS in the 4spd. Still relatively uncomplicated.

Mike T

After digging around and getting myself caught up on the differences from my 71, I’m liking it. IRS is a big plus. I was also looking at a 64 but this one was more in my price range and practical for making into my daily driver.

VengeanceASX wrote:
Great looking car!

Thank you! The paint job isn’t the best, but it also isn’t anywhere near the worst. The original color is a deep darker red, they just sprayed this paint on top though (theres a couple chip here and there that show this) so I may scrub down to original sometime if I get around to it (but that’s what I said about the 71).

tnjyoung wrote:
Looks wonderful! I am working to restore a 1974 Super Beetle, my first restoration ever and I am making mistakes, but learning. Mine was actually my "mother's", but this past weekend she had me over for my 45th birthday and gave me a card with a picture of the car and said "it's yours". I nearly fell in the floor as we are not a wealthy family, rather families that are probably right in the middle of income earners.

I can't wait to get the brakes sorted out as that is all that is in the way of mine being on the road, but they have kicked my but.

Here is a photo of mine, which is also virtually rust free with the exception of some very poorly done floor pan patches. I will likely buy some new pans at some point, but right now I just want to drive this thing around a bit.

I love your bug, your story, and I think you made a great purchase, too!

Good luck!

Yeah! Get that car taken care of, the most important thing is to drive it and enjoy it. I definitely don’t come from money, so I understand a gift like that is huge.

I can deal with pretty much anything except for rust, so my focus is going to be keeping it rust free. My back passenger pan (battery tray) was replaced, they did a weird bolt on and seal together thing, but it’s very solid and clean but I am still going to take an in-depth look to make sure it’s all good and doesn’t have any place to harbor rust.

Get back in there with the brakes, once you get the hang of them it comes pretty easy, and don’t be afraid of starting a thread to get advice, there’s plenty of people here willing to help. Sometimes you get conflicting advice, so you just have to sift through and find what works best for you.

I like the orange. I noticed today in the sunlight there’s a hint of orange to the paint, I thought the wife was crazy when she said it was an orange red when we picked it up, but there it was.
205T (Bill)
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Nice bug!

I'd run the 67 carb you're mentioning PICT 30-1 with a base flange number of 105-1 with the auto enrichment. If you need one, get with Tim at Volkzbitz.com

Your distributor looks like a 113905205T SVA. It's a great match to that 30-1. I'd run that over the mechanical only 019. It's smoother and provides better fuel mileage as well.

Good luck

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Nice bug!

I'd run the 67 carb you're mentioning PICT 30-1 with a base flange number of 105-1 with the auto enrichment. If you need one, get with Tim at Volkzbitz.com

Your distributor looks like a 113905205T SVA. It's a great match to that 30-1. I'd run that over the mechanical only 019. It's smoother and provides better fuel mileage as well.

Good luck

Sounds great, I’ll take your word for it as you’re the expert, and it saves me a nice chunk of change. I just remember reading that it was a really good combo. The only thing I don’t like about the distributor is that it’s been converted to an electronic ignition, so I’ll probably change it back to points and condenser.

Tim is a great guy. The 34pict3 I’m running in my 71 is from him. Tim is about 45 minutes south of me in the same area as my parents so it’s really convenient for me.
205T (Bill)
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Decided to check the valves while I was waiting for the locktite to cure, they were all right on .006 except number one exhaust and intake. They were both a bit to tight, nothing crazy but when I looked at the valve cover this is what I found:

It appears at one time the valves were hitting the cover, I hope that was in a past life but the fact they were tight is a bit concerning. I will have to keep an eye on them, I may be pulling the engine sooner then expected.
205T (Bill)
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

That tiny dent could have happened any time in the last 50 years.
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
That tiny dent could have happened any time in the last 50 years.

You are absolutely right! Which is why I’m just keeping an eye on it.

Once I start driving daily I’ll check it in a week, then a week after that. And if it shows a consistent pattern of being tight or if I actually hear it banging on the cover I’ll pull it then. Don’t need my head eating valves.
205T (Bill)
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Seen several engines with that dent through the years. Just like a scar one would get, on their own skin. It has a story and it was probably earlier in its life.

Definitely keep your ears and eyes open. I would think if it was going south you would have noticed something already. Like a loud clanging sound!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Got the engine all filled back up with oil and swapped out the speedometer as the one it came with wasn’t working, and replaced the turn signal relay. I also got my brake stuff in: a German master cylinder, 4 German drum cylinders, 4 flex lines, and all new shoes and hardware. But I have to wait for my weekend to get started on that.

When I fired her up I could not hear or feel any tapping from the number one cylinder valves but I’ll still monitor.

A new problem has cropped up, the generator light doesn’t turn off. I don’t know if something happened while I had the battery disconnected or when I was wiring up the speedometer and turn signals. I can’t do a proper test of the generator because my voltmeter only goes up to 16, so I will be picking up another voltmeter with a higher range. I polorized the generator and swapped in my old solid state regulator, as well as confirming and tracing wires, but the problem still persists. So we will see what the raw output of the generator is when I get another voltmeter, until then I have the battery trickle charging.

The turn signals I have almost working. It appears the PO was struggling with figuring out the problem. He switched out the relay but the parts store gave him a 3 prong one, I sourced the proper 4 prong one from Wolfsburgwest. Then the fuse blew. It looks like the PO swapped out the emergency flasher switch with one that pressed the electrical spades against the air control bracket. So I put double layer of heat shrink wrap on the offending spades and got the flashers working. But it appears the true root of the turn signal problem is the actual turn signal switch. If I hold the switch just right, I can get my left signal blinking, but nothing on the right. I’ve fixed this before so I took of the starting wheel and pulled the switch, cleaned it out and polished the connectors as best I could. But it did not improve any, so I may be looking for a very good used or NOS switch here shortly. Until then I can always use hand signals.
205T (Bill)
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Nice looking car, looks like will be a lot of fun.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

Relyt wrote:
A new problem has cropped up, the generator light doesn’t turn off.

http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

That's a good looking car.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

irvanm wrote:
Nice looking car, looks like will be a lot of fun.

heimlich wrote:
That's a good looking car.

Thanks!

Cusser wrote:
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm

Yup, that’s the one I used. It’s simpler and more direct to the point then the Bentley or Rob and Dave’s site (which is great if you want a very complete explanation of everything and not just a quick refresher).

Doing the tests my generator is only pushing out 2.6 volts max and ~1 volt at idle, even after re-polarization and pressing on the brushes. So I have a new Bosch on order (I’ve already played with cheap generators before and I’m not going to do that again).

I also ordered a new turn signal switch made by Wolfsburg West which they claim is “an excellent reproduction” so we will see how it works for me.

Also I am getting the gas smell so I am replacing all the filler and vent hoses and seals on the gas tank.

This coming up week it will be the brakes, and then the charging system and blinker light system.
205T (Bill)
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting anew with a solid 69 Reply with quote

It was a productive day today.

I installed the new Wolfsburg West turn signal switch. I now have turn signals. It seems to be a good quality reproduction, it’s a bit tight so I will have to see if it just needs to be broken in or if I need to adjust the screws a bit.

I put in the new Bosch Generator, so my generator light now goes out and my battery is charging. I know that quality for the new units are not what they once were so we will see how long it lasts. I kept the original and will get it rebuilt at some point.

Some bad news is that the car is not as rust free as I thought, are they ever though? The package tray has some decent rust, it looks like someone just painted over the rust without addressing it. So I will be scrubbing the paint and rust off to see the extent. I may get away with just doing some rust prevention and using a high quality paint, or I may need to consult with my welding friend to see what it would take to put in a new tray.
205T (Bill)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: