Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

Howdy all,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just dug this early Oval ignition switch with a "Z" key code from my stash of switches. Looks like the one in my June of 1955 Sunroof, except that one is a "SG" key code. This has four screw-terminals on it. You turn the key to the "on" position then push inward on the key a little and then turn further clock-wise to the "start" position. But this key/switch will NOT turn further to the "start" position. Is this normal, for instance for an "off/on" only Zwitter or Barndoor Bus type switch that would have a separate starter button, or perhaps it is broken? Nothing feels sloppy or broken when rotating the key, so I'm wondering if it is supposed to be only an "off/on" versus a "off/on/start" switch? Can anyone shed a little light on this switch and it's correct applications. Thanks!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

Hey Bill how are you ? I found a thread on a similar switch like yours. The bracket is shorter but the nose is longer to make up for the short bracket.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5494850&highlight=#5494850

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

Z code, would that be Bus?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain that switch is a 58' only bus ignition?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

Yep, I'm thinking it is perhaps a Barndoor Transporter or a little later era ignition switch, although I find it odd that this big switch could fit on the dash pod of Barndoor Bus. VW lists it that way. I thought Barndoors used a small "on/off" "P" key code switch?

Also in further looking at the correct switch mounted in my '55 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle, the body of the switch and four terminals are identical, but the mounting tang on the Beetle is longer, the shorter tang on the switch in question is quite a bit shorter like most Bus mount tangs usually are. Also the Beetle switch is a "SG" key code, and the switch that I asked about is a "Z" key code. So I found and dug out my VW dealership Key Code binder...

...and the "Z" key code was one of several key profiles used for Transporter ignition locks from 1950 through Feb 28, 1954 in a four tumbler version, then from March 1, 1954 thru Dec 31, 1954 in a five + one (???) tumbler and 13 mm diameter of lock cylinder version and then finally from Jan 1, 1955 thru Dec 31, 1963 in a five + one (???) tumbler and 12 mm diameter of lock cylinder version.

I still am wondering about my switch in question only seeming to have the "off and on" positions and apparently no "start" position (unless there was a separate starter button - or perhaps the switch is just messed up)?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

Bill the ignition switch in our 55 oval window is that "push in to start" style.

Is that the case with your (only a little bit later) 55 as well? Could buses of the same era have similar normal function?
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

Can you push the key in, then clockwise to the start position? I have a 58' only bus ignition in my Single cab that looks identical to your switch.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

The Barndoor Bus Z-code above is the doors, not the ignition.
You posted the line from the section titled doors. Smile
You are correct the Barndoor Bus ignition is like a Split Bug - the small A or P-code style.

I'm not sure why people said Bus '58 only but it could exist?
I'm not aware of such a thing.
Bus ignitions for at least 55-58 do have to be pushed in to turn to the start position.
This is probably what they mean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Bill the ignition switch in our 55 oval window is that "push in to start" style.

Is that the case with your (only a little bit later) 55 as well? Could buses of the same era have similar normal function?

Hi Nancy & Dick! Yes, Our '55 Beetles have the same "push in to start" ignition switch that the operator turns clockwise to the "on/run" position, then push in a little which then allows you to turn the key clockwise again to the "start" position and then release to "on/run". As described in the initial query, this switch looks the same in appearance except for the shorter mounting bracket for a Bus dash pod and that it is a "Z" profile key instead of a "SG" profile like the Beetle switches.

Can't wait to see you guys again at BNNTA #34...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Can you push the key in, then clockwise to the start position? I have a 58' only bus ignition in my Single cab that looks identical to your switch.

Hey "motofly196", is your key profile a "Z" key? It sounds like we've narrowed this switch that I have in question here to the same type of ignition switch as you have in your Bus. To answer your question, as described in my initial post starting this thread, no, I can turn the switch to the "on/run" position, then I can press the key in a little, but no, I can not turn the key further to the "start" position for some reason. So possibly something is wrong internally preventing further turning. Usually when a switch is worn out and beat up, you can feel sloppiness or crunching inside the lock/switch barrel, but this switch looks to be fairly nice and the action in the barrels feels crisp/good. Anyway, I guess it could be taken apart and checked/repaired (I doubt by me) to see what's up.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

I'll have to check when I get the Single cab out of it's winter hibernation spot. I had that ignition re-keyed by Justin (steelersbus) to match my door and treasure chests. I'm positive it's still stamped with the original code though.
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

This helps me too. I have this used switch SG 240 (S is there but faint) which now seems to be for a 54-59 Oval Beetle and a 55-66 Ghia. I don't have a key, but could I get one cut based on the code?

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

I haven't done an SG key but I have definitely had other air-cooled VW keys cut by code only and they worked
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

54 Oval wrote:
I have this used switch SG 240 (S is there but faint) which now seems to be for a 54-59 Oval Beetle and a 55-66 Ghia.

The SG key was used for those years and cars you noted, but the lock in your pic is 54-57 only. 58 & 59 Beetles and all Ghias have different shaped dashes requiring different mounting tabs.
If you get a couple of key blanks from any VW supplier that are SG, take them to any proper locksmith, they can cut them to the code SG240. Take the ignition switch with you to test the first key.
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: applications for this early Oval Beetle ignition switch Reply with quote

Thanks Everett and Bruce.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: