Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

*HELP* Brasilia with 8 digit VIN?!
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: *HELP* Brasilia with 8 digit VIN?! Reply with quote

Trying to get this registered, never seen an 8 digit VIN. I have to prove it's a '75

MA009710

Any ideas?
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: *HELP* Brasilia with 8 digit VIN?! Reply with quote

Garm wrote:
Trying to get this registered, never seen an 8 digit VIN. I have to prove it's a '75

MA009710

Any ideas?

That looks like a body number to me. Vin should be on the pan under the rear seat.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Garm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: *HELP* Brasilia with 8 digit VIN?! Reply with quote

That is what is stamped on the pan under the seat and on the plaque on the firewall. I'll post a pic
Garm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: *HELP* Brasilia with 8 digit VIN?! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: *HELP* Brasilia with 8 digit VIN?! Reply with quote

just gotta find the right person... I have a 1980 Datsun 280zx.. the first 5 digits of it's VIN are "HS130"..

I dunno about the H, but S130 are the manufacturer model numbers (like Type 1..) After that there are only 5 other digits (10 total).. younger people and non car people insist I'm wrong when I give them the numbers, those that know, understand that not all vehicles have a 17 digit VIN..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Garm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: *HELP* Brasilia with 8 digit VIN?! Reply with quote

Yes, I've run across 11 and 17 digit VINs, but not an 8 digit VIN.

My problem is more that I cannot prove the year of the vehicle, as no VIN checker accepts an 8 digit number.

I've emailed VW of Mexico without luck. I have to be able to prove, even with a valid email, that the car is a 1975 model.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: *HELP* Brasilia with 8 digit VIN?! Reply with quote

Garm wrote:
Yes, I've run across 11 and 17 digit VINs, but not an 8 digit VIN.

My problem is more that I cannot prove the year of the vehicle, as no VIN checker accepts an 8 digit number.

I've emailed VW of Mexico without luck. I have to be able to prove, even with a valid email, that the car is a 1975 model.

Maybe try Antonio Trejo, he's here on Samba and is quite knowledgeable about the 90's Mexican Beetles. He might be able to help.

You may also want to contact Nicholas Rosenow in Germany. He has written a book about the changes in model years from 1938-2003. I don;t have any contact info, but you can start with contacting OMNICAR in Germany:
http://www.omnicar-ag.de/
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: