Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone with real world experience with VHB tape for solar panels
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Anyone with real world experience with VHB tape for solar panels Reply with quote

I know a lot of people had success taping panels in the RV community, but I'm a big concerned given the surface texture of our fiberglass roofs, would love to hear feedback from others since I absolutely hate the idea of creating permanent holes. I would prefer to use 2 Renogy slim panels as opposed to the flexible ones.

I've seen a number of approaches to this from taping directly to using mounts such as these:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Obviously some aluminum angle iron could be used as well
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone with real world experience with VHB tape for solar panels Reply with quote

No "real world," sorry, but curvature of the roof and latitudinal channels are working hard in aero terms to create flight.

An RV roof is typically dead flat, level, slick, and I suspect has less wind buffeting for creating a higher airstream "hole," if you will.

I'm sure people have done this but for others' safety I determined it an unnecessary risk. I also decided I'd rather fill a few holes later over prepping out the original finish with a big glue patch when the panel configuration could well change later.

Just my $.02, and hopefully worth $.03.

Not intended to be a threadkill and maybe others have indeed successfully done this.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone with real world experience with VHB tape for solar panels Reply with quote

I'm old.

Tape to me is a means to TEMPORARILY hold two objects together until a more permanent means sets or is performed.

Double side sticky tape is great for holding dresses over breasts, car emblems on or hanging a poster on a wall.
Holding heavy objects in place while the forces of Nature work to release it?

No Way!

Screw that sucker down securely with metal hardware.

You don't want a solar panel coming off your roof like a sheet of frozen snow on the freeway!
The snow is bad enough and can serious damage a vehicle and kill a person! But a solar panel? No thanks.

"But Officer...... I taped it securely in place!"

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone with real world experience with VHB tape for solar panels Reply with quote

I just took this stuff off recently, off a metal dash where I had a radio mounted, and I couldn't get it off after an hour of trying and prying! I actually pulled on the mount with my entire body weight and still nothing. It got to the point that I thought I was about to bend the dash metal. I ended up inching my way to success by prying with a plastic bar. When the mount finally came off, it took another 30min to get the remaining tape off.

I'd say it would work. I'm always a fan of hardware until I used this 3M stuff. It's amazing.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone with real world experience with VHB tape for solar panels Reply with quote

I don't think there's a question that the tape is more than strong enough to hold, I believe this is the same tape used to fuse aerospace pieces together, it has tremendous tenstile strength. The tape is rated for Dynamic Overlap Shear: 80 pounds per square inch. But that all assumes optimal bonding, the question is whether optimal bonding can be achieved with our roofs....
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone with real world experience with VHB tape for solar panels Reply with quote

I've put a few thousand miles on this setup and nothing has changed. I ended up using 80 inches of the 1x vhb on the two 40" rails, which are pressed down onto the original paint Adventurewagen fiberglass top. I'm satisfied with the results for sure.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: