Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reshaping chamber help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

I’ve had these years for a while. Stock bore, ported nicely, but fly cut a bunch. I want to add some cc’s to the chambers. I think I checked them once and it was in the low 30’s. I kinda want to use them for a 1600 turbo project or the next step for the turbo, machine in forged 88’s. Any input on chamber shape would be great. They have 7 fins.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

What CC will you need for the target compression ratio? For a turbo engine, I doubt you're going to get there with those.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

You won’t be taking 20ccs out of those heads easily. The compression would be around 14:1 with 30 cc and a turbo it won’t last long. Maybe if you run e85 it would be possible to use those heads and a turbo. I don’t know how much a hemi would gain. But stock chambers are a lot bigger then 30 cc.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

For 88mm P/C's you will need at least 52cc's to get around 8.0:1.

I have .062" deck on a stock untouched case using .010" shims under the barrels and 52cc heads. That gives me a 7.8:1 compression ratio.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

How many ccs do you need? If it was me, I'd concentrate on getting the ccs by removing material where it would help unshroud the upper side of the intake (leave the non-plug side alone) to increase flow there, as most of it goes through the bottom.

By going to 88s, you will get a bit more side clearance to enlargen the chamber, and you could unshroud the intake even more, getting the walls as concentric as you can. I use drill bits of increasing sizes to check around the perimeter of the valve for concentricity.

Looks like there is hardly any room to semi-hemi it, but maybe you could create an approximation of the non-plug side of the se-he, I don't see why it should work any less than on a full se-he. Maybe better because you could keep some squish?

Just throwing ideas out, others know more.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

You could have them "Hemi" cut if any body still does it.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

For the turbo - just get a different set of heads and save those tight ones for street engines.

If you already removed fins, means it is too tight already. 20cc is a lot. That is half of the chamber you got now. Where are you gonna cut that out from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
I’ve had these years for a while. Stock bore, ported nicely, but fly cut a bunch. I want to add some cc’s to the chambers. I think I checked them once and it was in the low 30’s. I kinda want to use them for a 1600 turbo project or the next step for the turbo, machine in forged 88’s. Any input on chamber shape would be great. They have 7 fins.

I don't say this often but there is NO WAY you can carve out enough CC's on chambers that are in the low 30's. If you were in the mid 40's and wanted to go to 50 something, that is possible but if you try grinding, you will change the entire shape/design of the chamber itself. Plus, heads for turbo normally have shortened guides, better seats, etc. Just buy a proper set of heads and sell those to an off road guy(they normally like chambers in the 30's)

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

Thanks for the inputs. I thought it was a lost cause. I’ll save them for a n/a situation. There’s so many major fly cut heads out there.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

these were 42cc chambers that i opened up to 60 cc to get an 8:1 2276 , turbo.
funny thing was after i did this a buddy pointed out to me that some of the guys building boosted ls engines have been doing this to the heads. i was just being cheap and wanted to see if i could make it work
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with running a ton of deck on a turbo engine either
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:

these were 42cc chambers that i opened up to 60 cc to get an 8:1 2276 , turbo.
funny thing was after i did this a buddy pointed out to me that some of the guys building boosted ls engines have been doing this to the heads. i was just being cheap and wanted to see if i could make it work

That's kinda heroic.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

Also, IF you decide to go that route, deck height suddenly doesnt matter anymore because its all part of the chamber.
The downside is that you will loose A LOT of torque compared to normal wedge chambers, like 8%.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

I'd be afraid of leaving too much space between the top of the piston and the top of the barrel. Especially in a turbo engine. Even if your running heads with no quench area. If your running hemi heads I'd set the "deck" at zero and keep the boom in the heads, and less in the cylinder.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Also, IF you decide to go that route, deck height suddenly doesnt matter anymore because its all part of the chamber.
The downside is that you will loose A LOT of torque compared to normal wedge chambers, like 8%.
bingo!!! you still should have some quench aeras!! but it's just a vw so why bother , bubba did it so it must work.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

Maybe work up some dished pistons?

What’s That Noise?!?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

I’ll probably not try to use them in a turbo application. The 1600 turbo will be the experimental and my first turbo. So my current heads will do.
I had a n/a 1641 with similar heads that ran 14’s in the quarter. But I hate having all these combos I my head and only half of the correct parts for each one of them.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reshaping chamber help Reply with quote

I've heard and read guys say that quench and tight deck do not matter for a turbo. Not disputing this (as I've never built a turbo acvw) but how could it not matter when off-boost? a turbo street car spends the vast majority of its time off boost and wouldn't it be better for performance if it had tight deck/squish? as long as the compression is low enough to handle the extra boost...

at WOT and full boost I imagine its not as much of a factor, but up UNTIL that point it would be nice to have a snappy efficient engine as well?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: