Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Next??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonyy.lara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: What Next?? Reply with quote

So 2 months ago I bought my first ever van. I took it to get smogged and it didnt pass in the NOX category. After doing some research I found out it most likely needed a new Cat Converter. This is when I found a cheap rusted out one that had been welded in. So over the last couple months I have replaced the following in attempt to get my vehicle smogged and licenced: new Collector "j-pipe", new exhaust manifold, and a new direct fit CA catalytic converter.
Last week I changed the oil and put a new oil filter on and took it to get smogged and IT PASSED this little victory was very satisfying as I am new to all of this. Now i am trying to figure out what needs to be done next, my engine has about 200,000 miles on it and has a rebuilt transmission, while I'm sure an engine rebuild is probly the next thing to get done, it's also the most pricey. I work a 11.50 an hour job and am trying to get as many hours as possible. With this budget I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the life of my engine and get my van ready to hit the road. I am an artist and climber and bought the van in Hope's to travel the US and one day down to south America. I'm open to learning and beyond driven to make this happen. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What Next?? Reply with quote

Looking at the pictures you posted in the photo gallery of the engine compartment, one of the first things usually prescribed as 'must do", seems to have already been done. Replacing the fuel lines! But it's always a good idea to double check.
It's a good idea to get the covers for the fuse box and the steering column if you don't have, this will help protect against electrical shorts, etc.

I would advise getting a Bentley Vanagon factory service manual. These can be kinda expensive (maybe find a used one), but in the long run will save you money. Going through the basic maintenance list will help to identify any potential weak points.
The next would be to invest in a decent set of tools. (again used can be a good way to save)

Welcome to the madness and good luck!

p.s. my first Vanagon was a Carat, always liked that van. Cool

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What Next?? Reply with quote

The best thing you can do is drive it. Drive around town often and not too far in the beginning. Then the problems become known as time goes by. Preventive maintenance is a good thing, but no need to go replacing things just because. Inspect, replace worn components, drive and observe. The engine could last a long time based on current condition. A good investment is always a AAA membership for the towing. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. Inspect your fuel lines and replace if any signs of age are showing. The more you drive it the more confident you will feel taking it on trips. Welcome and good luck!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What Next?? Reply with quote

compression check; better paying job; Ford van; move to cheaper state; or kill SA trip; etc.

you are running uphill on the whole strategy here
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What Next?? Reply with quote

first off, you have a 30+ year old vehicle with 200,000 miles... you WILL have issues to fix/upgrade/resolve.

as PDXWesty said, the best thing you can do is drive it everyday for work, pleasure, testing. get miles and miles on it. there are WBX engines that go to 350,000 without rebuild and other crap out with a broken rod at 160k miles.

if you're earning $12/hr and not a trust fund kid, i'd be tempted to sort the easy and cheap stuff out.... fuel lines, starters (highly suggest the diesel starter mod), clean the engine bay well, buy a timing light and learn how to do a tuneup. then take it on the road with willing heart that is open to adventure... and consider breakdowns as part of the adventure. have a ball as far as it takes you and have a 'get home' fund or be willing to further adventure in seek of returning home. or call a new place home.

there are those on this list that want everything solid and reliable before heading out, myself included. you're not in a financial position to get to that point with an antique vehicle. don't let it stop the adventure, but also don't freak out when it breaks down. sheer positivity of every situation and a will to continue can make up for a lot.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What Next?? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
The best thing you can do is drive it. Drive around town often and not too far in the beginning. Then the problems become known as time goes by. Preventive maintenance is a good thing, but no need to go replacing things just because. Inspect, replace worn components, drive and observe. The engine could last a long time based on current condition. A good investment is always a AAA membership for the towing. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. Inspect your fuel lines and replace if any signs of age are showing. The more you drive it the more confident you will feel taking it on trips. Welcome and good luck!

X2, That's what I did when I first got my van. I live in the mountains so the first few weeks I drove in a 5 miles radius from home, 30 minutes drive, up and down, bugs came out quick Smile

Marc..
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What Next?? Reply with quote

My first van went 300K+ before blowing up formthe PO. Keep up on all the maintenance, keep the fluids fresh and hoses good, you might have a lot of life left.

When it does die, chances are you could find a decent used WBX someone left behind during an engine swap.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What Next?? Reply with quote

What next?

Go camping. If you're paying attention, you'll come home with a growing list of stuff to inspect, fix, or replace. With a van this new to you, the problems tend to find you ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What Next?? Reply with quote

Feel Ya, OP, totally get it (artist and climber, too here).

Scary going in. We lived in ours weeks after delivery.

Fresh fluids, "common sense" learned as you go, watch temperature, don't rev ridiculously, baby it. Don't drive it hard.

You'll be fine. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What Next?? Reply with quote

Good job on the smog repairs! If I were you, I would next do a compression test to see how much umph the motor has in it. Then, I would do a mechanical test of the oil pressure at a hot idle to see how loose the bearings are and/or how your oil pump is doing. Those two tests will give a good idea of now much life is left in the motor.

Hans

Hans
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: