Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Sunroof Engine Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Sunroof Engine Build Reply with quote

You sealed the case up without doing any of your rocker geometry, or cylinder head fitting?

Whats going to happen to your cam break-in lube when you need to turn the engine over 40-50+ times while doing the rocker geometry?

Brian
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Sunroof Engine Build Reply with quote

Oops.
There’s my newbie mistake I guess. I thought I needed the case/bottom end tied up before measuring for heads and comp ratio?
So I should’ve put it together but without sealant? I guess that’s not detrimental and can be undone.
I haven’t purchased the heads yet-thought that was one of the last things to buy.?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Sunroof Engine Build Reply with quote

I always make sure to mock everything up 100% before any sealer goes on.
All the way out to the valve covers. Carb linkage, tin, header etc. Once everything is good, then tear it all down and final clean everything and assemble it for good in one shot.

Then all of your assembly lubes will stay where you want them, there is way less chance of crap getting into the engine, etc.

The final assembly always goes together very smooth since you know everything fits together. No surprises to work around.

This is even more important on strokers where the case can't be 100% checked for clearance till the cylinders are on and torqued down.

Brian
overdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Sunroof Engine Build Reply with quote

What's up with this, Looks like a oil pressure leak to me.

Edit: Dam auto correct

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by overdrive on Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Sunroof Engine Build Reply with quote

Good eye! I’m pretty sure it is flat because as I was spreading the Curil everything was flat because I ran my fingernail over the edges.
Brian can you point me to a good article on setting up rocker geometry? Honestly I thought that was done once you bought your heads and measured comp ratio?
Duh...
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Sunroof Engine Build Reply with quote

I don't remember, but have you measured and dialed in your deck height yet?

Once your deck height is .040-.045" you can order your heads, and have them cut to get the compression right where you want it.
Once the heads show up, pull the valve springs off the #1 cylinder and install some light checking springs. Now you can start your rocker geometery.

I don't know of any good articles. I will be doing rocker geometery on an engine here in the next couple weeks. I might have to take a bunch of pics and just do a write up on it. I have a real simple method using an angle finder on your phone.

Brian
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Sunroof Engine Build Reply with quote

I’m all for it. If you could snap a few pictures to give us new guys some direction it would help greatly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: