Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi, I'm Jimbug, been on Samba since October 2002. I recently bought a 1973 Super Beetle in fair condition that I am refurbing. It's not a full on resto, but I want it very dependable and fully functional so I can use it as my daily driver when I retire in a couple more months. So that's my goal.

I decided to start a resto thread to document my progress.

The PO was ambitious but was lacking in skills. For example, there is a brand new Top Line front end kit installed, but it was way way out of alignment and he destroyed the new front tires. Pretty much everything on this car has been assembled wrong. There were no gaskets on the intake ports. It goes on, but the bottom end of the engine is tight and has new heads with no leaky push rods.

It's painted gray green so I was going with a WW2 jeep theme but I may paint it blue instead.

Well, so far I've:

Fixed the install on the Top Line front end
Installed new Interstate battery
Installed hard start relay
rebuilt and installed stock shifter
rebuilt a Samba purchased oil bath air cleaner
Rebuilt and re-jetted an H 30\31 from Samba
Rebuilt a throttle positioner
installed new header exhaust
Installed spark plugs
Installed new intake manifold
Rebuilt 205M Bosch dizzy
adjusted the steering box
Installed a battery hold down clamp
Replaced the gas cap with a locking one

I ordered new tires and got two new wheels - refurbing 2 other stock wheels also. The Faux Fuchs that cam on the car are the wrong offset and are only about an 1\8 of an inch off the tie rods, so they have to go.

So that's were I stand at the moment. Going to get the carb and distributor on next. Hopefully this weekend I can fire it up!

vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Jimbug, while you've got it down that far, you might want to replace the oil cooler seals. Just a thought.

mort

Oh, and welcome back. Laughing

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

In keeping with the military theme how about US Navy grey blue?
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

I saw this at the Home Depot:
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Got quite a bit done over the weekend considering it was my son's high school graduation.

I managed to get the carb, distributor, and air cleaner installed. Got the rear tin and carb preheat hooked up.

I replaced the choke wire, idle cut-off wire, and put new ends on the other wires on the coil and alternator.

I installed my custom dash panel with USB, lighter, clock, and washer button (ordered a wash tank - still waiting).

I also painted an old hubcap glossy black - don't ask why...

And I'm thinking of ordering this -

https://www.shop.thecoatingstore.com/Bright-Blue-Basecoat-Clearcoat-Car-Paint-Kit-SGCB123-BCCKIT.htm

Not right away, but just starting to think about paint. I'll probably paint it late summer.

- Jim
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

That's a pretty color blue for a bug. I was sorry to read about the problem with offset for the wheels, as I was thinking about ordering some. What is the difficulty there?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Nice project.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Just a thought on paint. How long do you plan on keeping the car and do you have all the tools required and a place to shoot it? Not sure about your area but we were fortunate to have a vocational technical college which gave us the place and expert advice including discounts on name brand products obtained locally, top notch customer service. Ask around you may have choices there. If you want a more vintage look use a single stage just VW did. Whatever you use make sure it’s all compatible don’t mix brands. Paint and body very tedious and labor intensive took me about 2 years to paint my car but learned a lot.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
That's a pretty color blue for a bug. I was sorry to read about the problem with offset for the wheels, as I was thinking about ordering some. What is the difficulty there?

Thx Smile The rims are less than an 1/8th of an inch from the inside lip of the wheel. Laying under the car with a measuring tape I get 5 1/2" offset. My new tires came in today. I have 2 stock wheels and 2 "stock" I ordered from CIP1. I'll get them mounted and see...

Not sure what to do with the Faux Fuchs.

joey1320 wrote:
Nice project.

Thx Smile

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Just a thought on paint. How long do you plan on keeping the car and do you have all the tools required and a place to shoot it? Not sure about your area but we were fortunate to have a vocational technical college which gave us the place and expert advice including discounts on name brand products obtained locally, top notch customer service. Ask around you may have choices there. If you want a more vintage look use a single stage just VW did. Whatever you use make sure it’s all compatible don’t mix brands. Paint and body very tedious and labor intensive took me about 2 years to paint my car but learned a lot.

Actually, I'm retiring in just about 8 more weeks and moving to where I have a garage. My wife and I are turning this super into a daily driver. This would be my first full body paint job.

BTW, my wife and I have been saving and planning this move for many years. I have 2.5k budget so I can own all the tools I've always dreamed of having. Hopefully it all actually works out for me.

I used to paint in a General Motors tool and die shop in Lansing Michigan - I was the paint guy for some time, so I've spent some hours behind a nozzle - but never a bug...

Then again, we'll see - I'm not going to go out and buy a boatload of stuff all at once though. One step at a time.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

Thx Smile The rims are less than an 1/8th of an inch from the inside lip of the wheel. Laying under the car with a measuring tape I get 5 1/2" offset. My new tires came in today. I have 2 stock wheels and 2 "stock" I ordered from CIP1. I'll get them mounted and see...

Not sure what to do with the Faux Fuchs.

Send them to me! Lol. Wish I was closer I'd drive right over. So do you mean from the inside lip of the rim to the bolt on the ball joint? Are the Fuchettes 5 1/2 inch wide rather than the stock 4 1/2? I put some 5 1/2" wide steel wheels on mine and they were so close right there that the ball joint knocked off the wheel weights from the inside lip of the rim. I had them re-balanced with the weights with adhesive stuck to the inside flat part of the wheel and run them like that. But they are so so so close right at the tip of the ball joint bolt.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

[quote="Jimbug57"]
Buggeee wrote:

I used to paint in a General Motors tool and die shop in Lansing Michigan - I was the paint guy for some time, so I've spent some hours behind a nozzle - but never a bug...

My old neighbor use to work there.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Picked this stuff up yesterday at Harbor Freight (2-1/2 hours away - had to go to the city anyway) -

Now I'll know whats going on inside the engine when I fire it up this weekend, and I need to know what pressure that fuel pump is developing.

Then today I bought 4 new tires and had them mounted on the stock wheels I've been working on. That's my Subaru next to the bug.

old wheels and tires

new wheels and tires
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Got a few things done so far today:
Installed a new fan belt
Installed the rear deck lid rubber stopper
Installed and wired a new windshield washer tank

I drilled a hole into the fresh air box and sealed around the fluid hose with a grommet made from a vacuum cap.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

First session today:
Adjusted the valves
Installed new plugs with copper anti-seize
Ran the plug wires
Adjusted air pressure in new tires ( tire shop had them between 46 and 37 pounds!)

Had to stop for food Smile

- Jim
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Had a great day! Got the top end all assembled and started it up. A couple carb adjustments and adjusted the timing (set static to get it going).

My throttle positioner worked like a champ. So did my carb and distributor. It's running really great and I'm so happy...

except...

I'm getting no charge from the alternator. I have to drive 2 1\2 hours down to the big city tomorrow to pick one up. I found the correct one to replace the original external regulator model in the car already (AL78I) for $80.00.

Wish me luck - Jim
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Made it to the city and back and got a new AL78I alternator. Did the 5 hour round trip drive, got the shroud and alternator pulled. Now I've got the new alternator installed in the shroud but it's cold and rainy and getting dark out, soi I guess I'll call it a day. I had hoped I'd get it all done in one day, but I'm worn out. I must be getting old...

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
First session today:
Adjusted the valves
Installed new plugs with copper anti-seize a drop of oil from my dipstick on the threads.
Ran the plug wires
Adjusted air pressure in new tires ( tire shop had them between 46 and 37 pounds!)

- Jim

Fixed it for ya! Laughing
The anti seize stuff never works on my hot engine parts.
But a drop of oil, works great on spark plug threads.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Jimbug57 wrote:
First session today:
Adjusted the valves
Installed new plugs with copper anti-seize a drop of oil from my dipstick on the threads.
Ran the plug wires

- Jim

Copper slip should never be used on spark plug threads anyway. It's an insulator which is bad for heat dissipation. A smidge of oil and correctly torqued is the way to go.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Dal Churchill wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Jimbug57 wrote:
First session today:
Adjusted the valves
Ran the plug wires

- Jim

Copper slip should never be used on spark plug threads anyway. It's an insulator which is bad for heat dissipation. A smidge of oil and correctly torqued is the way to go.

Lesson learned...

This is what I used -
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/versachem-516...&pos=7

I was going to drive around a bit and take a look at the plugs any way - I'll wipe off/out what I can and use oil.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimbug's 73 Super Refurb Reply with quote

Goodies came in the mail. Please, no rain tomorrow...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: