Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

I've read a number of the forum topics related to this subject but haven't read of an answer other than: use GPS; tire size; and OEM reads slightly high.

1) I'm running stock 185r14c tires....it's not a tire size issue

2) I am aware that these speedometers read "a bit" high but NOT 20mph over actual speed.

3) I've owned 14 of these vans and this has never been an issue worth starting a new forum topic over

4) I want to keep a stock OEM speedo and not use some GPS based product.

5) Stock speedometer and stock engine, trans, everything is stock

Why is this off by so much? and how do I fix it? Has anyone actually experienced this? Was there more than one speedo on these?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!! You guys are the best!!

Last edited by mg93108 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

is the speedometer stock to the vehicle?
the Syncro speedometers are twice as fast as 2wd.

on the speedometer theres a small group of numbers below the odo digits.
a 2wd is 840 or sum such
a syncro is 1600 or sum such
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

There are places that calibrate speedometers or you can do it yourself. There are two adjustments. One is changing the needle position (which makes the same change across all speeds) and the other is clamping more or less of the spring (which makes a progressive change across the range).
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
is the speedometer stock to the vehicle?
the Syncro speedometers are twice as fast as 2wd.

on the speedometer theres a small group of numbers below the odo digits.
a 2wd is 840 or sum such
a syncro is 1600 or sum such

Yes, stock. Everything on this particular Westy is stock.
Even if it was a Syncro speedo, the mph would still be way off.
The model number that you mentioned is an 805
Ironically, I live in the 805 area code.
Do you know what that number means?
I just looked at pics from other Westy's that I've had, and two others also had 805's.
Thanks Dan

Last edited by mg93108 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

that number equates to rotations per mile for the OD of your tires.
that the speedometer is supposed to be calibrated to.

now sometimes when the cableor the internal magnet goes old and wonky the speedo will run higher than actuall.
mine has just started to do this for some unknown reason probably age related
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
that number equates to rotations per mile for the OD of your tires.
that the speedometer is supposed to be calibrated to.

now sometimes when the cableor the internal magnet goes old and wonky the speedo will run higher than actuall.
mine has just started to do this for some unknown reason probably age related

Thanks....that makes sense.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

Before you get it fixed get some pics of how you have the "fastest" Vanagon out there Very Happy
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Before you get it fixed get some pics of how you have the "fastest" Vanagon out there Very Happy

I did that Smile
That's exactly what I thought when the needle was pegged
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

I thought maybe this was as simple as your van was originally Canadian delivery and you were actually reading KPH, but you say that it was pegged...and that would be 104kph the internet tells me.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

What's the odometer reading? If it's reading properly [moves 1 mile when you go 1 mile] then you may get by with moving the needle. If the odometer is just as far off as the speedo, you got some issues that probably can be fixed at the local speedo repair shop.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
What's the odometer reading? If it's reading properly [moves 1 mile when you go 1 mile] then you may get by with moving the needle. If the odometer is just as far off as the speedo, you got some issues that probably can be fixed at the local speedo repair shop.

^^^^^^^
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

Hopefully the odo is equally skewed so that you've been getting 38 mpg. Cool
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I thought maybe this was as simple as your van was originally Canadian delivery and you were actually reading KPH, but you say that it was pegged...and that would be 104kph the internet tells me.

It's a stock speedo, not from Canada. It reads in MPH...not KPH. I would have noticed that.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

Are you correcting for Imperial hours?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

I've personally adjusted 3 Vanagon speedometers that were wildly inaccurate and although I didn't take the time to get them perfect, I got them to what I consider quite reasonable (within 5 mph for the entire range).
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

Your speedometer is suffering from either a: the cable was over lubricated and oil has migrated into the speedometer section or b: the magnets have migrated. There was a recall many many years ago.
In either case send the speedometer to a professional shop and have it cleaned and recalibrated.
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I've personally adjusted 3 Vanagon speedometers that were wildly inaccurate and although I didn't take the time to get them perfect, I got them to what I consider quite reasonable (within 5 mph for the entire range).

Hey Waldo
Thanks for your reply.
Can you explain how to adjust these?
Perhaps there is a video somewhere but I haven't been able to find one.
It's pretty cool that you figured out how to do that
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

If the speed is off by the same amount across the entire range then simply moving the needle position will fix it. If the difference is progressively more or progressively less, then adjusting the spring is necessary. If you pull the need (use needle nose pliers on the very base of the needle) and then pull the faceplate, you will see the spring. The end of it is clamped in place with a little pin. Clamping further into the spring will cause the reading to be progressively less than before (given the same needle position) and vice versa. As part of testing, I used a square drive bit that fit the speedometer. I then used the high and low speeds on my drill to drive it and compared that to another vanagon speedometer that read reasonably correctly. It can still take some dialing in from driving the vehicle and comparing speeds using GPS.
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer WAAAAAYY off (stock tires) reads 85mph actual 64mph Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
If the speed is off by the same amount across the entire range then simply moving the needle position will fix it. If the difference is progressively more or progressively less, then adjusting the spring is necessary. If you pull the need (use needle nose pliers on the very base of the needle) and then pull the faceplate, you will see the spring. The end of it is clamped in place with a little pin. Clamping further into the spring will cause the reading to be progressively less than before (given the same needle position) and vice versa. As part of testing, I used a square drive bit that fit the speedometer. I then used the high and low speeds on my drill to drive it and compared that to another vanagon speedometer that read reasonably correctly. It can still take some dialing in from driving the vehicle and comparing speeds using GPS.

WOW!! Pretty impressive. Thanks a bunch!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: