Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Jilm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

I have owned a 71 for a year. It has a brand new transmission, had a tuneup about 8 months (and probably only about 1k miles) ago, oil change about a month ago. I use my bus exclusively for tooling around about a 50-mile radius of my home.

In a few weeks, I'm planning to take the bus on a 10-hr round trip. There is no indication that anything is amiss, but I'm just wondering - are there any obvious things you veterans might recommend checking before taking her out of her comfort zone?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

Check oil levels, make sure the tires are properly inflated, make sure you have enough beer for when you get there.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

If it's running well within 50 miles of your house, it should be fine... although others may disagree and give you a list of spare parts and tools you'll need.

My feeling is you may have parts and tools to fix ten potential problems that may pop up. But if you do have a problem, chances are it won't be one of those ten.

I think a good idea, though, is the premium emergency roadside service option with AAA. It will tow you 200 miles.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

I'd chime in what't your route and 'expected' interstate driving comfort.

pick the 2ndry roads where it's easier to stop or get services and less strain on the engine than long sustained interstate RPMs. and semi's barreling up behind you putting you and others at risk of evasive passing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

What would I do?

Snag my sunglasses, put some diet Cokes in the ice chest and grab some new CDs.
Fill the tank, check the oil, press on the pedal on the right, try to keep it at 58 mph and eat anything that gets in the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Jilm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

Thanks, everybody. Trust the beers and other refreshments will be stocked.

My trip is basically a straight shot from 29 Palms CA to Ventura CA on I-10. Lots of highway driving. I have explored an alternate route with less highway cuz yeah, it just seems like a nice way to spend more time in a lower risk sitch.

Definitely upgrading to the primo AAA.

According to my family, I am an oil level and tire pressure psycho, so that'll be checked.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

Give it a going over - lube, check wear on common items. I'd repack the CVs if not done recently. I'd pack spare clutch and accelerator cables, points, condensor, cap, rotor. Plugs, fuel filters, stuff like that you can get at FLAPs. Even a plug wire can be cobbled together from another brand in a pinch. Anything more that that breaks, that's what AAA is for.

Seriously, AAA is more than just a tow, it is your ticket to fun. If you know you can be "saved" with little damage to the vacation fund, the stress-fun factor moves to the side of fun. The VanAlert app might help out, putting your route up here and collecting contacts on the way could be a game-changer.

Read through some of the threads here where members have bailed a traveler out of bind. I'd name them as I remember them but I would hate to forget to mention someone. There's been a LOT of good deeds done in the name of the VW community.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

how many 10 - 50 mile trips? If you have a year of 10 - 50 mile trips with only regular maintenance then you probably have 10,000 miles on the bus with no problems. If you have two weeks of 10 - 50 mile trips then best to make sure you have access to a flat bed or AAA towing just in case. The odds of a break down are slim and can happen in any car. ANY car, even a new one. Enjoy your trip.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

Do all of the suggested. Fluids, pressures, snacks. If you know your bus like you should. And have confidence in the mechanical health of your bus. (It sounds like you do.) You should do fine. 29 palms to Ventura is a cake walk. I'm betting you make it in less than 10 hours, even taking your time. I go from Orange county to Mammoth lakes once a year in my bus. it takes about six hours.

Have fun and enjoy the ride. Very Happy
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

I don't feel 'roadworthy' till I've covered 400-500 local miles.
That 500 miles is usually about monitoring my parking spot for (oil/lube) drool.
No drool means drive where ever I want.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

just be 'in tune' with your VW
and not IN TUNES where you can't hear/feel your VW.

contrary to many here, I don't play/blare the stereo while getting to know my trusty companion. key part of a new relationship is listening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

For long trips, I like to take a look at the route ahead of time and plan a stop or two. Research a good lunch spot, with perhaps an auto parts store across the street. Give both you and the bus a rest, a check of fluids, hoses, tires, etc. Turns the 5 hour trip into a few smaller 1.5 to 2 hour trips.

Good luck and have a great time!
Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

Maybe add a good quality tachometer , keep it at 3-3.3K RPM's
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

Mechanical items do not need a rest. That's a myth and relic from the ol' days.
Run it
oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
key part of a new relationship is listening.

this, 100%.

if your an oil and tire pressure psycho, then just pack your tool roll and go. (are you also a fuel line psycho? do you have a fire extinguisher?)

...or just drive the 10 hour drive in 50 mile spurts.
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

If you have driven this thing regularly without issue, just do it! If you have been up on your regular maintenance there is no reason you can't drive it to the moon and back.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

Make sure all my needs are packed, turn the key and drive... But I do have 20+ years of seat time in my 60 year old Type II.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

Raise the front wheels and give them a spin. Grab them at top and bottom and check for play in the wheel bearings

Inspect the drive shafts. Look for torn boots. Check the bolt torques
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

Absolutely everything suggested so far is exactly what you should check before driving it a single mile, no difference.

Max
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sorta Long Drive Ahead...What Would You Do?? Reply with quote

For me:

Look at brutis (my bus), give him a nice pat. Check on the engine, yup still there. Shut the garage door. Grab my F150 keys, and go. I could do a 10hr drive even if I were 2k miles past my oil change interval, my wheel bearings were grinding like a mofo, and one of my tires was half flat. Maybe I would stop on my way to the highway to inflate the tire and top off the gas. Probably wouldn't bother with checking the oil, I only have 180k on that engine. It's not even halfway through its life.

OHHHH were you meaning if I were taking the bus? oh... that is a much much more extensive list. I don't have time for that. I'd be there and back before I even started my trip in the bus. Laughing
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: