Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much influence does the STICK SHIFT have on shifting?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How much influence does the STICK SHIFT have on shifting? Reply with quote

michaelbteam wrote:
a few days later the shifter broke clean off close to the boot.

We don't want our shifters breaking. Now I know what Mark meant by the 12mm version vs. the 14mm version. I think this is referring to the thickness of the stick shifter. Mine is 12mm - the *ring* that slips down over the stick that secures the upper spring on my replacement set has a 14mm hole... so I reused the 12mm securing ring from my original parts. I guess VW changed the stick size to 14mm because perhaps the 12mm sticks were breaking. I wonder if it is possible to swap in a 14mm stick - or if the bend on those later sticks is different and therefore non-compatible with the early linkage?

OK, I got 'er in... a pretty easy job thanks to that tutorial. The cool thing for me is that I could make the task much easier by finally getting to actually use two tools I purchased some time ago but almost never use. One was my press > wow, a press sure makes things easy when you actually need one!!! The other was this hammer-on shock screwdriver - without this I don't know how I would have removed those frozen-on philips screws.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The result on shifting: ...for sure this upgrade has given the shifting a very noticeable improvement. My first 3 shifts (cold) into 2nd were all very smooth Smile Smile Smile ...but still I would say that it is not yet 100% - I think there is still room for improvement >>> the one remaining thing which I think is not OK are the "ears" on these little "horns" down there...

How do these look to you guys. Looks to me like one ear is missing? I don't think these are available to purchase, are they? Has anyone ever fabricated these things?

Here is the inside of my box.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How much influence does the STICK SHIFT have on shifting? Reply with quote

The plastic on the left side of the box was used instead of a plastic bushing on the shifter. That piece looks like someone’s effort to replace the original that was NLA. It’s fine. There are replacement ears for the later shifter and I bet you could use the one side one yours. They are nice to have, but you can live without them. Christopher from T3 sells them and Go Westy has their own version. Probably could wait till your next trip here.

I retrofitted an entire shifter assembly from a later van. 14 mm shaft does work in the earlier van.

The screws that hold your shift plate should be hex bolts 6mm x 1.0 pitch. Little easier to sinch down on a conventional bolt.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How much influence does the STICK SHIFT have on shifting? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The plastic on the left side of the box was used instead of a plastic bushing on the shifter. That piece looks like someone’s effort to replace the original that was NLA. It’s fine.

Yeah, that was me who did that... OK, so I'm good to go now with it as it is now? No more ears needed?

I will look again more closely at the white plastic plate I put there - it looks like in 3rd gear the shifter might be smacking against a big washer that I used... looks like it is touching, and it still "feels" a bit like something is contacting something in 3rd... so maybe it is this.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How much influence does the STICK SHIFT have on shifting? Reply with quote

For sure move that washer so the metal guide ear doesn't hit anything.

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How much influence does the STICK SHIFT have on shifting? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
For sure move that washer so the metal guide ear doesn't hit anything.

Mark

Yeah! That looks pretty bad actually > might solve a whole lot, just that!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: