Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

I mentioned in my first ever thread on the forum on shipping my Westy cross country how I’ve been following the forum for a very long time as I decided on what to look for, what would work for our family, and what level of involvement I was looking into mechanically. I wanted something maybe with a couple more comforts than the older buses, but still simple enough to hopefully be able to tackle a lot of things myself.

When I went out west to test the Westy I went with a lot of possible things to look into, and hoped for the best. Previous owner had been very involved in updates by a local vw mechanic, so it looked like a good idea. My planning trip didn’t work out that well and I had to ship it home to NY.

As I got it home, I had my list based on I’d say roughly 30-40 threads on overheating, and have all spare parts and lists of things to check off.
Finally today I was able to begin. The main problem I had was blinking light, overheating needle.

First thing I did was replace pressure cap, fill to the brim, check coolant sensor. Idled perfectly, took it for a test drive around the block and nearby for about 20 mins, remained at a good temp and no blinking light. Next I will do the top-off while higher rpms, and run it a bit higher and longer to keep testing. Will report back. My kid had a blast watching me change the cap and clean up several things, as well as playing with stuff in the back. I can see us working on it together for years to come. Not to worry, I didn’t run the engine while he was there.

Two things I didn’t notice before that I noticed today for the first time - which blows me away. I’m guessing my excitement over getting the van must have overshadowed me noticing this. there’s a switch on the dash that turns on the radiator fan directly. Good to know!

So here’s a question though - there’s another switch on the dash that says “temp” with an arrow around it. It rotates like a radio dial. It seems to start a mechanical timer when I turn it on (I can hear ticking/clicking in the dash), and it sounds like an electric motor of some sort running when it’s on. Is that like a choke to start in cold weather? Or am I completely off base? I can take photos if needed.

Anyway, thank you all for being so thorough in helping each other, it helps a lot of people who might not chime in at the time or maybe like me ends up reading the threads years later with exactly the same symptoms.

Cheers!

Luke, based in White Plains, NY. 1984 Westy named Hobbes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Nice little van! I think the rotating timer you have (is it green?) is for the optional factory gas heater under the van. I think it's about a 10 minute timer. There's a second fuel pump under the van that sends fuel to the heater via the main fuel line, piped in before the main fuel pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Is that Calvin playing inside?

Congratulations on the buy.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a gasoline heater.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Here is a link to get you started on the heater:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193991&highlight=ba6

I have a 1984 with the identical BA6 heater, they definitely came with the water cooled as well as some air-cooled models.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Yes, that’s exactly what it is. PO mentioned extra heater did not work but she also didn’t know how to run it. This is a Canadian model for sure, it has the third port outside down low.

Also, all fuel lines have been recently changed. I’ve seen the sad burned van threads...
colbysmith28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Welcome, I have an 84 westy also, prepare to have to do alot of searching for parts, I'm working on refurbing mine and am finding mine was built during a strange period where parts from early vans and later vans were used. before ordering parts it would be a good idea to confirm part number, just food for thought. enjoy your westy and don't forget to replace fuel lines if you have idea when they were last done.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

84WestyHobbes wrote:
Yes, that’s exactly what it is. PO mentioned extra heater did not work but she also didn’t know how to run it. This is a Canadian model for sure, it has the third port outside down low.

Also, all fuel lines have been recently changed. I’ve seen the sad burned van threads...

I would make sure that the correct FI rated hose was used. Not all work is done right and in this case the use of the wrong hose could be lethal. Crying or Very sad
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Sounds good. How can I check on the hoses to make sure? Is there writing on them? Should I just change them all myself anyway?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Check the writing on them. What does it say? Best, post a picture.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Congrats on what looks to be a sweet van!

Proceed cautiously with the auxiliary heater. In fact, avoid using it at all until you can methodically inspect, clean, and troubleshoot to ensure safe operation. Once tuned and operational, they can be a nice accessory, but until then, you may be squirting gasoline into an enclosed chamber stuffed with mouse nests, with intermittent spark ignition. Attached to the underside of your beloved new camper. With your family inside.

In fact, since you probably have a long list of more urgent mechanical tasks ahead of you, I suggest disconnecting the fuel supply to the auxiliary heater (there's a tee immediately after the fuel tank outlet) until you have the time to devote to it.

Safe travels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Katstan I still just North off you In Kingston , and has a decent mechanic local to her in case you are looking. Andrew the Van Whisperer is up here near Albany, if you ever want to drop the van and Amtrak’s home I can shuffle you, I’m 15 minutes away.

Pm me to get my coordinates
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Jeffery, thank you, sounds like a plan for sure. I’ll check to see, hopefully it’s been already disconnected. The unit itself is under the rear seat, correct?

I’ll take photos of the fuel lines and post.

Abscate, thank you! At the moment I have the Freccia brothers 10 mins away from me over the CT border. They seem like a great resource. But I’ll def reach out if needed for sure.

One more question for those in NY - do you have trouble passing inspection? Anything in particular that they’re sticklers for?
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

84WestyHobbes wrote:

I’ll take photos of the fuel lines and post.
?

I don't think you "need" High Pressure Fuel injected hose for a BA6, it doesn't use anything more than a 'little pressure' to shoot fuel into the chamber. However, it won't hurt it lol ....

I think that there is a Y from the tank somewhere that feeds the heater aside from the 40+ PSI loop. The correct TYPE of fuel hose is very important, one that today's super crap fuels will not dissolve in short time. I think 30R9 but please check before making purchases.

Quick overview, the heater blower motor has little contacts in there that make the little fuel pump piston push fuel into the heater chamber. The pumps were famous for cludging up and stop pumping. You can test to see if A, the contacts in the BA6 blower motor are actually sending 12V pulses to the little pump and also bench test the pump by tapping the contacts with 12V on the bench, on and off the + contact, it doesn't run like a standard rotary style pump, only a piston moving back and forth with 12V applied to it.

There is a whole relay system under the dash somewhere that helps drive all this stuff, I think behind the glove box, IIRC, it is a triple relay with a pile of wires in the top, You can pry back the little tabs on the aluminum body to carefully separate the plastic top and relays from the aluminum base, they were famous for filling with water in the bay Busses.

These heaters will chew up your battery in short time depending on how good your battery is. Just be aware of this ...

I would highly suggest you also pull the whole thing out and do the deep clean that was mentioned earlier, I think only one of the many buss BA6's over the years did not have some type of mouse residue or nesting in either the body of the heater or the ducting to or from the van. God time to check that all the cables and flaps are also working ..

They are a cool little thing to see in motion or get working ...

Stock Vanagons didn't have a rad fan bypass switch on the dash Smile Personally, I'd be cautiously optimistic why that exists.

Congrats on Hobbes.
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will go through it for sure, I could def hear the little motor pumping yesterday when I tested it — hopefully it was already disconnected in the past and wasn’t actually pumping anything.

PO on the heater:

The heater is under the bench seat. It's a factory installed Webasto heater. The mechanic in Missoula told me it could get up and running if I wanted, but I never put the time into it because I don't drive Hobbes in the severe winter months anyway. And I'm not sure what model it is - only that it came with the original van.

And PO on fuel lines:

Fuel lines/filter
Yes - Very important question! Fuel lines were replaced about 2 years ago and I just changed the filter maybe 6 months ago. I'll have V-Dubs check these for sure, as well as the battery, coolant lines, etc.

And her mechanic gave it a full once over before I got it and have it a thumbs up. Yes, also has a strong battery.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Webasto eh ? Ok, interesting. You can probably forget about most of what I said above, lol.

I was referring to the belly pan factory BA6 style heater that sits between the frame rails under the van. This sounds very interesting ...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

re: fuel lines, and replacement.
very often they do not change the 3inch line on the back side of the bulkhead fitting. I've seen MANY vans with original fuel line there that have had fuel lines replaced.
it's often so bad that the original VW hose clamp is rusted through and it's only holding on by old age stubbornness,
so on your pass side firewall there's bulk head fitting, look at the hose behind it. if it's plastic replace/update that as well.

also the early vans had an undersized Alternator harness that often melts within the protective sheathing.. give a close eye inspection to the wires from the Alt to the black box on the DS firewall.
gowesty offers a update kit if you don't want to DIY your own.

congrats and enjoy your new found freedom machine and personal finance wrecker.
a VW camper is like adopting a dog, you can't imagine life without them anymore and you only part with it once you can no longer afford to take care of it. once gone you reminisce of the good old days..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Either 30r9 or 30r14 will work for the heater, while for the fuel injection the hose should say 30r9 somewhere on it. I believe the hose for the heater is the 3/16" size though check the fit before buying.

The VW-Audi 25195948175 fan switch when used with the stock thermostat will cause your fan to kick on more frequently than the stock switch.
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Fantastic. Thanks all. My list of things to check keeps growing, and it feels so much less daunting with the support and knowledge you all share. I have a trip out of town this weekend and although it’s something I’ve been looking forward to for a long time, I won’t lie and admit I’m sad I won’t get to tinker with it for several days.

I’ll report back after I get the chance to spend another couple of hours with it.

Thanks again!
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: New 84 Westy owner reporting in and saying thanks Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the underslung factory BA6 on my van, including the small fuel pump (red arrow). If there is an under-seat heater as well, your BA6 is likely still there, just disconnected or inoperative. That is the left rear tire in the photo, for perspective.

EDIT - you know, this is a golden opportunity to ask: Do any of you guys equipped with the gas heater have a different slide-handle on one of your heater controls?? I once read that one of the sliders on the BA6-heater-equipped vans had a metal 'ground connection' attached to it, and that unless this was engaged (all the way to 'hot') that the heater would not function.

Is this a myth? When I got my van, all but one of the slider levers were scattered all over the floor, with the last one missing - so I don't know if the missing one was somehow different. I have never encountered another BA6 van so have been unable to check. My heater is not operational - it's a travelling underslung mouse house - but I have always been curious.

Thanks to anyone who knows!

Last edited by leecat on Fri May 17, 2019 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: