Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a tutorial on front torsion bar adjustment.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Looking for a tutorial on front torsion bar adjustment. Reply with quote

I have a link pin front end and one side is lower than the other and I suspect torsion bar adjustments will fix this. I might be searching the wrong terms but I'm sure someone here will know. Thanks!
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a tutorial on front torsion bar adjustment. Reply with quote

Unless you have a custom wide front beam with 4 adjusters in it there not much you can do, even with a std front beam with center adjusters it will do both sides at the same time.
Have you tried greasing your beam? it may just be bound up, or it could it be bent?
Maybe if you adjust your rear torsion end plate on the side that is lower a notch that will level your car out, I set mine a bit higher on the driver side to get rid of what is known as a "Bachelor's Lean" from only the driver being in the car most of the time, this happens mostly on British cars but I am a big guy.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a tutorial on front torsion bar adjustment. Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:
I have a link pin front end and one side is lower than the other and I suspect torsion bar adjustments will fix this. I might be searching the wrong terms but I'm sure someone here will know. Thanks!

You may have a broken leaf in the torsion pack on the side that's sagging. It is one leaf pack from end to end but the carrier and grub screw in the center of the beam make the halves work essentially independent of each other. If a leaf in one side is broken it will sag. If one side has fatigued that could cause it too.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a tutorial on front torsion bar adjustment. Reply with quote

Mine turned out to be a twisted pan, it was hit pretty hard in the front at one time in its life!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a tutorial on front torsion bar adjustment. Reply with quote

Your lean in the front could also be caused by rear torsion bars being adjusted incorrectly from one side to the other.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a tutorial on front torsion bar adjustment. Reply with quote

So looking at diagrams it looks like I can remove the lock screws and push the leaves out from one side to the other? After unloading, of course.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a tutorial on front torsion bar adjustment. Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:
So looking at diagrams it looks like I can remove the lock screws and push the leaves out from one side to the other? After unloading, of course.

Also need to back out the grub screw. Need to do that with the trailing arms too, not just the center. May as well take it all apart and clean everything while you are at it. Your half way there already.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: