Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best 40hp big bore kit?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connorwaddell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Best 40hp big bore kit? Reply with quote

My original 63 40hp has barely any compression because of worn out rings and I was thinking of just going to a big bore kit but I’m not sure which kit to get. What kit have you all had luck with? Thanks!
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Best 40hp big bore kit? Reply with quote

I think there is some discussion over in the vintage speed section... most people are going with the AA offerings. Like most parts, always check fitment... people have found minor clearance issues with the piston skirts.

Also, I would recommend reconditioning the cylinder heads while you have it tore down... it’s likely they need refreshed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 40hp big bore kit? Reply with quote

If the main bearings are well worn, most likely they will give out all too soon when you put the extra pressure of new P&Cs in.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 40hp big bore kit? Reply with quote

If you are rebuilding, consider adding a doghouse fan/shroud/cooler kit. Original parts are best. I did this on my 1200/1384 conversion, and it really made a huge difference in cooling, and general running when warmed up. It is pretty much a bolt-in setup if you have all the pieces. Otherwise a 1384 can run too hot in traffic or on the freeway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: