Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Standard Beetle restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

After 9 years, it is finally ready to come out and play. Sorrynotsorry for the massive photo dump but wanted to consolidate the build on here. I started a build thread years back under a different username and forgot all that info so here it is. Took 2 cars and lots of metal to make this car. Started out as a rat rod/driver build and snowballed into this. My dad egged me on to make it super nice and I listened. Ive built 3 other cars since starting this project which is one reason it took so long. Cost of paint/bodywork is the main reason though lol. Its first show will be at Farmington Dragway this weekend and im super excited.
-rebuilt 1600 dp with dual carbs, engle 110 cam, blue coil and lightly ported heads.
-Interior came from Sewfine in Colorado.
-Scat procar front seats.
-adjustable narrowed beam
-early lights
-early late model fenders
-Custom bumper brackets(including bumper mounts on body)
-Metal dash conversion
-New custom wiring harness and fuse box
-All powder coated everything. Mostly in silver vein, black and silver.

More pics to come soon!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Few more shots of the interior. Doggo approved!

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Looks awesome! Definitely the back dating improves the look IMO. Some purists won't like it though Laughing

What carpet kit is that?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Some purists won't like it though Laughing

Wink

But it does look nice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

The carpet kit was also from sewfine.

If I was to ever build another late model to daily drive, I would probably leave it original other than mechanical upgrades and lowering. I can be a purist at times as well. Just didnt happen on this particular build lol.
gwdrum75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Very nice!!

If you get the chance, I would love to see pictures of the front and rear mounts for the bumpers.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Excellent, another build thread AFTER completion!

The car turned out great! It’s only a matter of time before we start saying “man, I should have saved that 74, instead of scrapping it”. People are already going way beyond on would have never been done 5-10 years ago on Bay Buses. How narrow did you go on the front end? Did you use any type of drop plate on the rear? For those looking about getting something like this done, do you have an estimate of total labor hours?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

So much f***ery happened this weekend that I did not make it to the show I had intended.

My pertronix electronic ignition took a poop. So back to trusty old points I went. Luckily im a parts hoarder and kept the old stuff in the box.

Also, I found that my Bosch Blue coil that I had painted to match the motif of the engine bay, has a large crack around the wire post causing loads of visible arcing. I swapped that out with the original coil that came on the car(after cheking for 3-4ohm internal resistance). All of this had a positive effect on how the engine ran and idled

However, the engine does have a "bump" every 2 or 3 seconds thats almost like a misfire. I have an 009 distributor and am not certain that I set the advance at the correct rpm. The engine does not kick back when I crank it so I dont think its way over advanced. But I could definitely be wrong. It has a slight hesitation upon taking off in first but not that bad. Ive only driven it through the parking lot at the shop so I dont have any road manners to report. Waiting on insurance to go through before I can put a tag on it and drive it. Would timing being incorrectly advanced be consistent with these symptoms?

I plan on doing some final tuning this week and report back with my findings. I have not adjusted my valves since I broke the cam in. I need to syncronize the carbs. I did set the floats to the correct height before I put the carbs on and set the mixture screws to the recommended, beginning settings as per instructions(maybe for weber 34 ict's?). I do need to confirm my timing numbers. I set it on 30-ish at a high idle(no tach so unsure of rpm).

More info on the engine, it is a stock displacement 1600 dp with dual empi 34's, engle 110 cam, 009 points distributor, lightly ported heads, stock coil, header with heater boxes and dual quiet packs.

Thanks ahead of time for any input yall may have.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

gwdrum75 wrote:
Very nice!!

If you get the chance, I would love to see pictures of the front and rear mounts for the bumpers.

Thanks! Ill take some pictures of the bumper mounts when I get to the shop today. I had to modify the fronts heavily. I can also make the bumper brackets work with the stock mounts on the body now that I have the equipment. When I first decided to go that route, I was in college and didnt have the means or time to make that happen. I built a CNC plasma cutter and made a pseudo press brake for bending thick bracket material.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Excellent, another build thread AFTER completion!

The car turned out great! It’s only a matter of time before we start saying “man, I should have saved that 74, instead of scrapping it”. People are already going way beyond on would have never been done 5-10 years ago on Bay Buses. How narrow did you go on the front end? Did you use any type of drop plate on the rear? For those looking about getting something like this done, do you have an estimate of total labor hours?

Lol yea I had a build thread on here like 8 years ago but thats long lost. I just decided it was easier to make a new one. Ive had lots of project cars in between the start and finish of this one because of the cost involved with doing this extensive of a build.

I think my beam is narrowed 4 inches but the drop spindles add another inch of track width. Sorry its been a while. I welded swayaway adjusters in as well. I put a machined inner sleeve on either side of the adjuster and left a small gap in the weld gaps for penetration for added strength.

I have no drop plates in the rear. I am planning on adding air shocks, tank, compressor, control system in the near future for getting around town and parking lots. I may get some adjustable spring plates as well.

As far as hours, I have no earthly idea. I probably have around 15k in it, not counting my labor time and powder coating cost. I rebuilt the whole thing myself including, engine, wiring, Chassis modification, and all the metal work. I roughed in the bodywork after doing the metalwork and epoxy priming it. I left the final touches and paint to the painter. Ill take some good pictures of the paint in the sun very soon. It is sunset pearl orange with bright white sides that have crushed glass added. It all really comes alive in the sun.

All that said, I would probably charge someone in the neighborhood of 40k to do this kind of build with as bad a starting point as I had. I know that sounds super high, but most of you guys know how much time all of this takes.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
As far as hours, I have no earthly idea. I probably have around 15k in it, not counting my labor time and powder coating cost. I rebuilt the whole thing myself including, engine, wiring, Chassis modification, and all the metal work. I roughed in the bodywork after doing the metalwork and epoxy priming it. I left the final touches and paint to the painter. Ill take some good pictures of the paint in the sun very soon. It is sunset pearl orange with bright white sides that have crushed glass added. It all really comes alive in the sun.

All that said, I would probably charge someone in the neighborhood of 40k to do this kind of build with as bad a starting point as I had. I know that sounds super high, but most of you guys know how much time all of this takes.

Not many here have taken a vehicle through the steps you have, so no, I don’t think many know how much time is involved. Some feel you should be able to get everything you’ve done for less than $15k, when in reality, that’s what you feel you have in parts/materials only. So you started your build thread 8 years ago... If you worked on it one hour a week, that’s 416 hours. Everyone can do the math for the $75-$120 an hour labor rates most shops have in 2019. Your build is more of a $50k-$75k build at most shops I know, so $40k is a bargain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Maybe i should start a build topic Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

It's gorgeous. Perfect in every way. Some lucky soul brought home a trophy only because you missed that show.

I run a SVDA with those Empi carbs and have no hesitation. Runs great. It might be the 009 that is needing to wind up. My son's bug has a 009 with a stock carb and hesitates like you describe.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

dubsteez79, I'm not usually into lowered Beetles but the stance of yours looks excellent. Stock rims on a slammed bug seems to be rare but I think they're perfect on your car. The whiteness makes them appear bigger like 16 inchers! Awesome quality and cool build thread!

Glenn wrote:
Maybe i should start a build topic Wink

"Beetle Projects and Builds" isn't as eye catching as "The Build Thread", maybe you could change the title?
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the feedback greatly. This is the bug ive always dreamed of building/driving and I cant wait to go cruising in it. As all builds go, im sure Ill have a few growing pains as I start to drive it, but thesamba will come to the rescue as it always has. The knowledge and loyal following on this forum is indispensable. I wish others(namely mk1 watercooled sites) would take note.

Ill be fiddling with the carb tuning and such this week and will report back with my findings. I may end up buying a vac advance distributor at some point if I dont like how the 009 performs but Ill wait til its on the road before making that decision(and spending that money) lol.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Next question. I am planning on running air shocks all the way around with tank/compressor/controls at some point. I actually bought ma803's for the rear before but the advertised compressed length was 2-3 inches higher than the spec stated because of an internal bumpstop so I returned them. I saw on the monroe air shocks thread that someone had their beetle pretty low on ma803's out back but I did not have the same experience. Any input would be appreciated.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

In addition to my previous question, What are you guys running for exhaust hangers on the quiet pack style mufflers. I have something made up and an idea of how to finish it but figured yall might have some better ideas.

Pay to play with car pics

Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

The rear of a Beetle is too heavy for air shocks, you need bags in the back.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
What are you guys running for exhaust hangers on the quiet pack style mufflers.

I have a Berg dual QP. It comes with straps and rubber hang that hand from the bumper bolts. The rubber is like a section of tire with reinforcing threads inside.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
The rear of a Beetle is too heavy for air shocks, you need bags in the back.

It would be for height assistance over speed bumps and parking lots. Not supporting the whole rear weight all of the time. Torsion bars will stay in place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: