Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Standard Beetle restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Stetoppingphoto wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Some purists won't like it though Laughing

Wink

But it does look nice.

I didn't think it really mattered about keeping the later Beetles original, I get it on pre 65 but the later ones...

Car looks beautiful!

Thanks!

I like originals and customs of all cars honestly. I have a mk1 GTI and caddy that are, for all intents and purposes, going to be left stockish or in a position that I can make them stock again. Id love to have an original late model standard for a driver just because I am a car hoarder and know that it would be halfway comfortable compared to some of my other, more custom vehicles.

And as far as market price goes for them, you will almost always get more money from an unmolested car than one that has been customized. The perception being, " I wonder what the PO has screwed up to make it this way". Hell I dont even buy cars to restore that have been messed with. They may be rusty piles of shit, but havent been modified lol.

Back to my earlier topic today. What electric fuel pumps are you guys running ? I would like something that doesnt sound like a hornets nest inside a helmet and would also like to leave the FPR under the gas tank as well as the pump. How much pressure drop has anyone experienced from a fpr up front to the carbs in the back? And if no one has checked, would this be valuable information for the vw community? I may set up and experiment to try it out.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
I have a mk1 GTI and caddy that are, for all intents and purposes, going to be left stockish or in a position that I can make them stock again

Now I would love to drop a 2.0l 16v into a early GTi. Just need the Scirocco intake with throttle body on the other side. And of course some 3 piece BBS wheels.... or Ronal R10 Turbos.

dubsteez79 wrote:
What electric fuel pumps are you guys running ? I

I run a stock mechanical.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
dubsteez79 wrote:
I have a mk1 GTI and caddy that are, for all intents and purposes, going to be left stockish or in a position that I can make them stock again

Now I would love to drop a 2.0l 16v into a early GTi. Just need the Scirocco intake with throttle body on the other side. And of course some 3 piece BBS wheels.... or Ronal R10 Turbos.

dubsteez79 wrote:
What electric fuel pumps are you guys running ? I

I run a stock mechanical.

I hear that. Even an 8v ABA 2.0L is a burnout machine in A1's! My buddy is working on a 1.8L 16v swap in his mk1 GTI right now so that should be fun whenever its completed. Ive just done some mild engine work on my 1.8 8v but its a noticeable improvement. G grind cam, ported intake, big bore TB, AC delete, 4-2-1 manifold and 2-1/4 exhaust really woke it up from factory.

Glenn, do you run non-ethanol gas in your bug? I have had 3 fuel pump diaphragms fail in 6 months of just sitting. I know ethanol can make rubber parts brittle and its a PITA when I go to move it and get no fuel. If you use some kind of additive, that would be nice to know as well. Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

The pump is a Bocar that was first installed in 2006, so it's been in use for 13 years. I use Sunoco 93 which is E10. Since I don't put a lot of miles on it I add some Stabil when I fill up.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The pump is a Bocar that was first installed in 2006, so it's been in use for 13 years. I use Sunoco 93 which is E10. Since I don't put a lot of miles on it I add some Stabil when I fill up.

Awesome. Thanks. I figured that buying cheap pumps is my main issue there. If i stay mechanical, Ill probably just buy a Bocar.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

I drove it today! It starts up and idles ok. It's a dog at low rpm but clears up as the revs build and pulls pretty decent after that. It sounds like it's missing when pulling away from a stop until it gets revved up. Timing is set at 10btdc at idle and about 32 at full advance. carbs are stock empi 34 duals and have been synchronized. Could my 009 not be advancing quickly enough or something? I've checked my valves recently and coil, condenser is new.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
Could my 009 not be advancing quickly enough or something?

Is it Bosch or aftermarket?

Personally a 019 mechanical would be better but there's no guarantee.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
dubsteez79 wrote:
Could my 009 not be advancing quickly enough or something?

Is it Bosch or aftermarket?

Personally a 019 mechanical would be better but there's no guarantee.

It is aftermarket. It was bought at a time when I had less money to work with.

I have the original vacuum distributor that I'm considering giving a shot tomorrow. The vac advance mechanism and diaphragm works well. How do the vac advance and centrifugal compare for street car purposes?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

dubsteez79 wrote:
How do the vac advance and centrifugal compare for street car purposes?

They work well when mated to the original carb. Mixing and matching carb/distributor generally doesn't work.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

This is my original vacuum distributor.

When I free rev it with a timing light it advances to 32 BTDC from 9 or 10 at idle so I think that the distributor is working properly but am always open to suggestions or verification methods. Im really excited to get this on the road but dont want to drive it while its running weird. Ive spent too much money and time on it to blow it up in the first few weeks that its done lol.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Ive got the fuel pressure cranked up to 3.5# on my regulator as that seemed to cure the "running the bowls dry" symptom. Is it possible that the idle setting is too lean and the excessive pressure is making it leak into the throat, causing it to seem like it needs that much pressure? Is it a government conspiracy?!?! Laughing
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Did not have all the parts to my vacuum distributor so I just set the floats correctly yesterday. Didnt fix the problem but Im glad the floats are in spec now. Video of it running is at link below. You can hear it bog/stop accelerating at a specific throttle position. Im assuming going lean on 2 cylinders based on my exhaust manifold temp readings. Temp readings after running for a few minutes are also below. Will a crossover tube between the intakes help this inadequate fuel distribution? Does it matter which intake runners are connected with the crossover tube?

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByoZqnHj_XN/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

So a weak/broken valve spring on #4 intake was at least part of my problem.

On another note, What would be the best SVDA dizzy to pair with my setup? I would like a bosch restored one if at all possible. The one I have is missing parts but I dont know if its worth restoring or not. The vacuum canister I have doesnt seem to fit this particular dist. either which is my reasoning for not restoring myself. I saw the prices of the NOS bosch cans Shocked and decided against it lol.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

After changing all the broken valve springs and rejetting the carbs, i took the bug to it's first fill up in many years. I took the crossover hose off as well because the fitting was interfering with the spark plug. I'm happy to say that it runs really good. Idle is smooth and consistent. I've got to change my fpr very soon and may go to electric pump at the same time to clean the engine bay up a bit.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

That muffler sure is close to the ground.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
That muffler sure is close to the ground.

Lol yep. Didnt drag it yet but im sure itll happen. If it does, ill take the whole exhaust off so I can add an o2 sensor bung and use my wideband to fine tune everything. I doubt ill ever raise it up any higher though because im stubborn and like how it sits. Razz
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

That's a great looking bug.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Rebuilt my original 043 905 205 svda distributor to replace the aftermarket 009 that's in there. really just cleaned it and replaced the fiber washers, cap, rotor, condenser and points. Hope to see an improvement in "cruisability". Pictures to come.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Got my fuel pressure regulator in. Had to use a bunch of fittings to make the pressure gauges work out but I'll tidy that up later. Got the Carter pump mounted and double isolated on the pan, under the tank. Got my used but good thermostat delivered and hope to put that on tomorrow as well as hooking the fuel pump up. Also ordered a block off plate for the mech. pump, and phenolic spacers for the carbs to help with the heat soak. It's running well though. I've put about 50 or 60 miles on it and am happy with the overall feel of the car. Steering box is kinda sloppy even after adjustment so I may have to replace or rebuild it at some point if I can get hard parts. Are there any aftermarket or oe steering boxes for these with a better, tighter feel?

dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Standard Beetle restoration Reply with quote

My sound system for the bug lol. These things are actually really loud and the sound is clean maxed out. It'll do for this car.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: