Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best tire for freeway drives
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connorwaddell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Best tire for freeway drives Reply with quote

Hey everyone I’ve got a stock 63 bug and I was wondering what you all think the best tire size To lower my rmp’s On the freeway is. Thanks!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Best tire for freeway drives Reply with quote

A bigger diameter tire will lower your RPMs-you can increase your PSI too depending on what you are running and that will increase the diameter of the tire a bit as well.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Best tire for freeway drives Reply with quote

Taller tire will cut your power/acceleration. Best idea is a 'Freeway Flyer' transmission from Rancho etc with a taller 4th gear.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best tire for freeway drives Reply with quote

Honestly you want the stock tire size as it keeps the rpm up which keeps the cooling on the engine.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best tire for freeway drives Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Honestly you want the stock tire size as it keeps the rpm up which keeps the cooling on the engine.
This.

And increasing the pressure above stock (check the sticker on the car) impacts the ride and handling negatively. Stock height tires really work the best.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best tire for freeway drives Reply with quote

if you're running a stock 40hp then probably best to stick with a stock diameter tire.
if you got a 4:37 trans and a 1600 you could probably get away with a 205/70r15 in back.
long as all your tins are in place and cooling is no issue as is.

some will say otherwise but I run 205/70r15 with a 4:37 R&P in my 61 and it works great.

Last edited by QRP on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best tire for freeway drives Reply with quote

I had a stock geared 57 with a built 1600 sp that I ran 205/75/15s on. Even on the hottest days it cruzd the highway at 70mph with no problems.

But if you have the stock 63 engine run stock size tires.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: