Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

The Vanagon forum has a lot of information on the Dometic 3-way refrigerators, and the Vanagon Bentley has some notes on maintenance and the mod to the air pump.

I changed the small 12v cooling fan out on both our 1981 and 1987 'fridges and used a 12v computer cooling fan and that is a great improvement.

Keep the burner box clean of rust flakes. I do not have any idea if your fridge is set up the way they are in the Vanagons. Need pictures of yours to ascertain. But ours has a small ventilating tube at the base of the fridge with a small screw cap on chain. That's where I blast in compressed air to clear the burner box when it's shut down. I do that before every trip. The dust and crap just blows out the ventilating stack. I just leave the cap off all the time because the vent tube open like that helps the propane flame.

Only time I ever got propane smell was after I did some maintenance work on the fridge. The gasket for the burner box was NLA and I hoped it would seal up. Nope! So out it came again, and I use Hi-Temp RTV coating both sides of the gasket. Never a problem since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Ours is a two way unfortunately, I wonder if the vanagon fridge is a direct swap? Either way the 12v and 120v appear to be in order and the fridge seems to function fine. The propane holding tank on the bottom is quite rusty how long are these serviceable? Does anywhere sell a new tank that fits in the same footprint? I would eventually like to replace them anyways to clean up the look from the outside.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

There is a whole thread of arguments regarding propane tanks. I think the first issue you may have (at least in my experience in California) is that the average service station attendant will need to be coached on how to fill it.

You may also have an outdated filler neck; you might need to replace it.

They might get anal looking for the certification tag.

I have never had one leak, and I cleaned up both of mine, made sure the filler was working properly and repainted it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Here’s what was found in the compartment with the original jack, this flare is dated 1981 Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My son “helped “ install the Alpine unit to replace the original blaupunkt unit. This was done by enlarging the hole just a bit with a metal file.

Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

OK so wiring on this I don't even know where to start..

Fuse box has 12 fuses, all of them except one look to be in good shape.

So testing electronics here's what works:

Radio always has power, turns on and off and works fine.
Windshield wipers work with key in the run position
Headlights sometimes work with key out and car off but not with key in and running
Intermittently the rear defrost will light up
dome light works and camp interior lights work

Not working:
turn signals
hazards
marker lights
dash lights and malfunction indicator lights
gas gauge
ignition

I am guessing there's possibly multiple shorts but unsure how to go about testing and finding them, I do have a multimeter. I believe I need to redo all of the wires going to ignition harness but I am unsure on where they run to and I cant really see where they are routed under the bus but they must be in a tube somewhere?

Are the ignition switch wires bundled with the turn signal and light wires somewhere down the line? In the hatch I can see wires that melted together and may have further up the chain too.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Next weekend I am going to pull out the steering wheel and cover to take a look at the switch and wires below. How do I do continuity test on these wiring harnesses?

I'm trying to figure out which wires are shorting out and where at?

Is it possible the ignition switch is fine and just the wires to the ignition coil and starter are shorting out somewhere? Would the ignition switch still activate my accessories that are only on in the run position if it was faulty?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

It sounds like you need Robbie's or Colin's help to sort out your electrical gremlins.

I believe Robbie (Asiab3) is in Seattle. Maybe you can get on his schedule before he heads east. www.AirSchooled.com

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

I think its something I will have to diagnose my self with our funds situation, most shops and mechanics wont even look at it since the other owner did an engine swap on it.
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Way to go! Nice camper. And, before anyone else yells... Adjust your parking brake!

Just a few comments: The Cologne V6 engine at one time was thought by Kennedy (KEP engine/trans adapters) to be near ideal for a splittie or bay. In North America, only the 2.9L & 4.0L Colognes got hydraulic lifters, so be sure your 2.6L/2.8L valves are adjusted properly. (4.0L's RPM range NOT suited for bus!) Owners of Cologne-powered bays I've met stated that their typical highway fuel mileage was 23-24mpg. Up-sizing to larger tires would bring down the engine RPMs a bit for highway cruising. Doing so may also help to correct an overly-optimistic bus speedometer!

Thanks for your your posts n' pics. Keep 'em coming. When work/family priorities finally allow, I'm planning a similar engine swap to a bay Westy. Parts rich/Time poor right now!

Best wishes. Have fun. Explore.
68 Westy
(+ others)
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

I'm still new to these buses but what tells you the parking brake needs adjusted? It seems to hold fine. Is the lever pulled too far out and that indicates its out of adjustment?

23-24mpg would be amazing but I need to get the engine running right, it runs OK at the moment but definitely needs tuning and possibly rebuild soon.
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
... Is the lever pulled too far out and that indicates its out of adjustment?

Yes, the cables do stretch over time and can be adjusted. IIRC about 3-5 clicks out is supposed to be ideal (assuming the brake shoes, drums, etc. are within usable condition & adjustment).
68 Westy
(+ others)
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
Way to go! Nice camper. And, before anyone else yells... Adjust your parking brake!

Just a few comments: The Cologne V6 engine at one time was thought by Kennedy (KEP engine/trans adapters) to be near ideal for a splittie or bay. In North America, only the 2.9L & 4.0L Colognes got hydraulic lifters, so be sure your 2.6L/2.8L valves are adjusted properly. (4.0L's RPM range NOT suited for bus!) Owners of Cologne-powered bays I've met stated that their typical highway fuel mileage was 23-24mpg. Up-sizing to larger tires would bring down the engine RPMs a bit for highway cruising. Doing so may also help to correct an overly-optimistic bus speedometer!

Thanks for your your posts n' pics. Keep 'em coming. When work/family priorities finally allow, I'm planning a similar engine swap to a bay Westy. Parts rich/Time poor right now!

Best wishes. Have fun. Explore.

Do you know of any other owners on the forum or facebook that have this swap?
HonuHI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

I have a 1978 Riviera, I've been calling mine a studio, but penthouse sounds much better.

Anyway love the van, electrical is a crazy place. Good luck
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

In this last photo does anyone know of a bracket that works to hold the outside table up that folds out from the side of the fridge? One of the few parts I'm missing is that bracket.
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Quote:"In this last photo does anyone know of a bracket that works to hold the outside table up that folds out from the side of the fridge?"
Maybe this one? https://www.campingworld.com/drop-leaf-table-support-49683.html

Quote: "Do you know of any other owners on the forum or facebook that have this swap?"
Sorry, no current personal contacts with Cologne V6-powered Bay camper owners. German Capris came to the U.S. with 2.6L or 2.8L Cologne engines; which is yours? A co-worker had over 350,000 miles on his 2.6L Capri & it still ran great. The Cologne 2.8L engines from the cars (Capri/Mustang) seem to have better factory-balancing than the truck (Ranger/Bronco) units, useful if you want to run in the 4,000 rpm range for any length of time! That was also noticeably true for the Cologne 2.9L EFI motors in the Merkur Scorpios vs. trucks: my Scorpio was very smooth to the 5,800rpm redline; truck 2.9L exhibited roughness above 3,800rpm.

BTW your SurePower battery isolator (shown in the engine photo) looks "under-used"! They are typically one of the most reliable for separating & charging main & auxiliary battery banks.
68 Westy
(+ others)
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

From what I understand it’s the 2.8L variant. The aux battery is not even hooked to the isolator because the battery pan is rusting through. These look to be the main areas rust has struck and need to be fixed eventually.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Get rid of that old ordinance (1981 flares) by testing it somewhere safe.

We had a local put a case of Vietnam frags on eBay, after he found them in his attic and thought they might be valuable.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Get rid of that old ordinance (1981 flares) by testing it somewhere safe.

We had a local put a case of Vietnam frags on eBay, after he found them in his attic and thought they might be valuable.

Fourth of july is coming up...

Laughing
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Finally fit in the garage, we can only back it in to fit. Does not fit driving in nose fist due to the incline of our driveway.

We are going to hook this up to some solar panels to keep us off the grid:

Cleaned up wiring, all these were wired up front leading to nothing in the back..

Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new bus! 1979 VW Riviera Penthouse Reply with quote

Diving into the rear bed yesterday, we are pulling out both seats and the flooring/carpet. Deep clean the inside, then recover the seats/arm rest/buddy chair and rear cushion.

Old foam was bad, we have new foam to throw in it

This cover was the worst, the others are not torn

Our Plan is to keep the "leather" just on the seat back and armrests

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: