Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield source for a 78 Super?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saucy Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Windshield source for a 78 Super? Reply with quote

Anybody know where i can get a good quality windshield for a '78 super?

78 SB CHAMPAGNE II
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield source for a 78 Super? Reply with quote

I found one online. Very expensive!

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
390nellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield source for a 78 Super? Reply with quote

Try these guys: Kottoautoglass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield source for a 78 Super? Reply with quote

Go to the Samba parts 1968 and Up Type 1 Bug.

In the search window, type in windshield. One of the ads has a questionable round windshield for sale, but for more money, he says he also has them new.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
robcy04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield source for a 78 Super? Reply with quote

I found a new one recently for $271.00 installed by calling around the local windshield replacement companies. The guy said it had been in his warehouse for over 10 years. Everything else I found was either used with white borders or over $400 plus shipping. Good luck.

Forgot to mention. A lot of the local shops will quote a Beetle windshield without realizing its not the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield source for a 78 Super? Reply with quote

The German reproductions are made by Hoffmann Speedster and Kaeferland.

https://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/beetle/in-house-productions/4611/windshield-convertible-1303-clear

https://www.kaeferland-shop.de/en/body-components/...ar-8/72-on

I don’t know if either of them would ship glass to the U.S. and what it would cost, but probably a lot. It might be worth asking. The windshield itself costs about $120 after accounting for no VAT and the lower value of a dollar relative to a Euro.

Some late convertibles are being parted out. Search 1968-up and general parts in the classifieds for convertible windshield.
Saucy Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield source for a 78 Super? Reply with quote

Thanks too all who replied with suggestions, i was able to talk to a local windshield shop that said the could fill, fix and keep it from cracking anymore as long as it was under 8in, it was only a 4 in crack (not a large or long crack, but one of those thats just pisses you off knowing its there) but as it was on the drvrs side bottom left corner and going up appx 4in i thought I'd have to replace the whole thing, turns out windshield dude fixed it in about 30min....

Thanks to all who responded....

78 SB CHAMPAGNE II
baxsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield source for a 78 Super? Reply with quote

A little late, but here is the information on the windows we got through a local body shop's normal supply chain:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6725406r#6725406
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: