Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

sled wrote:
*edit* just saw in another of your posts that yes, this is the exhaust you have and that you got a 2" merged header. 2" is very large Shocked

are you using this exhaust (or similar)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

not to add any more work for you, but if so, your 2332 could definitely benefit from a better exhaust. What goes in must come out, and a true merged 4-1 system will perform much better.

Yes, thats exactly what I have on the car.
It was purchased for the 1600 that was in it... long before the 2332 became available.
The 1600 was giving me too much grief so I decided it was go-time for the 2332.
I didn't have time to shop for good exhaust so I just used what I had available.

I ordered a 2" merged system from CB over the weekend and hope to have it by end of week/early next.
I went with the bigger pipes because I may dabble with nitrous at some point and didn't want the exhaust to be a limiting factor.
Due to the larger collector flange, I may need to fab up a muffler for it... since I did not see a large collector muffler available online.

Would have loved to go with a $900 system but already in over my head with everything else on the car. Figured $400 was about tops for me at this point... considering I still need to hang a muffler on it and buy a $400 pair of intake manifolds to make it right.

This is what I have on the way...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Its hard to determine from pics, but the old manifolds look to be mini wedge. Heads are old style wedge

Swapped a few emails and pics with Marie Anne at CB Performance and she seems to think the heads are CNC Ultra Wedge ports.

A welded/CNC'd pair of intakes will run me $407.62 shipped to my door. Embarassed

Will get them on the way in a week or two.
Trying to spread out the expenses a little bit so it doesn't hurt as much. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Those heads look like the wedgepprts I had my ultra wedgeports are much thinner between the ports and pointer on the top outside corners. There should be stamped numbers near the exhaust ports.

An 1 3/4" exhaust would have been lots for your engine and saved you couple hundred.

brad
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Those heads look like the wedgepprts I had my ultra wedgeports are much thinner between the ports and pointer on the top outside corners. There should be stamped numbers near the exhaust ports.

brad

Ill look for numbers when I drop the exhaust in a few days.

Thanks for the info !

Edit to add...

Just found a pic that had the numbers in it by accident.
I'll call CB tomorrow to see if they can ID them.

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

2” header on a street 2332?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
2” header on a street 2332?

This was one of my "street cars" a few years ago... so yeah. Laughing
It had 2.5" primaries into 5" collectors. Wink

Go big or go home. Laughing

Link
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Your running 44 IDFs, so optimistically a 38 vent, and breathing with 1atm. But the exhaust is 2” and blows down from cylinder pressure.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

I was waiting for someone to ask about 2” exhaust. VW’s are not like v8’s bigger usually hurts performance on exhaust. My 2783 has a step header 1 3/4 to 2” with 51.5 ida’s. I am going smaller on Venturi so it runs better.

1 3/4 would be my choice. 1 7/8 with ida’s.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Your running 44 IDFs, so optimistically a 38 vent, and breathing with 1atm. But the exhaust is 2” and blows down from cylinder pressure.

Over the Winter when I tear it down I will likely bump the compression up substantially, swap in a cam with more duration and go to a set of bigger carbs.

I dont have a problem running 110 octane race fuel. This bug will use a whole lot less of it than anything else Ive owned.
May even look into e85.

Hopefully the car will be so unstreetable my wife will just let me keep it for myself and Ill just buy her another bug thats more street friendly. 🤣
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

I have 12:1 compression,CB Ultra Wedgeports,.51mm carbs, 610 lift at valve, 324*, 285*@.50, lives between 5000 and 7500 rpm, still only use 1 3/4 header. You're losing a lot of performance with that big of a tube. These engines are much more sensitive to tubing size than other engine designs. 2" will work, but you're losing performance, not gaining.

brad
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Ill call CB on my lunchbreak to see if the system shipped yet.
If it hasnt shipped, Ill try to change the order to 1-3/4".
If its already enroute, I can always modify the headpipes and make my own step header if it runs like a turd.
I doubt it can run any worse than it does with the 1-3/8" stuff on it now. lol
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Guess I'm an odd duck, I went from an 1 3/4 to a 2" and the car went from 12.98's to 12.27's. Also went from 42mm vents to 46mm vents in itialian 48 ida's. Nothing else changed.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Guess I'm an odd duck, I went from an 1 3/4 to a 2" and the car went from 12.98's to 12.27's. Also went from 42mm vents to 46mm vents in itialian 48 ida's. Nothing else changed.

Im probably going to end up using them anyway.
I placed the order over the weekend and today is already Thursday.

They are probably already halfway across the country right now.

Also just got offered a 2nd bug a few minutes ago by a coworker.
Unsure of details but will probably know by end of day.

Probably a good car for my wife so I can keep this one for myself.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Agreed, you're an odd duck. Wink

What were the MPHs, and now many times had this car been down the track? No other changes? I've seen removing the little stack screen filters run 6tenths faster, back to back passes. So even a minor change that you think is inconsequential can have a significant impact.

mcmscott wrote:

Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
So even a minor change that you think is inconsequential can have a significant impact.

I learned this a long time ago.
My first few passes down the track in the early 90's... I was running 11.80's. (Big Block Camaro)
Only change I made was to install an MSD6A.
The car immediately picked up 4/10ths and was running solid 11.40's.

Another minor change was limiting front end travel and installing a front air dam. Same ETs but picked up 2mph.

Attention to detail always makes the difference.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Agreed, you're an odd duck. Wink

What were the MPHs, and now many times had this car been down the track? No other changes? I've seen removing the little stack screen filters run 6tenths faster, back to back passes. So even a minor change that you think is inconsequential can have a significant impact.

mcmscott wrote:

MPH went from around 105 to around 110, More than 3 seasons, very verified. Won the fall bugorama in p/e last year, runner up the race before. 3 races at the March meets as well. I'm not a rookie.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
MPH went from around 105 to around 110, More than 3 seasons, very verified. Won the fall bugorama in p/e last year, runner up the race before. 3 races at the March meets as well. I'm not a rookie.

Thanks for the info.
The 2" system is already on the way... so im using it no matter what.
Ive already got a roll of heat wrap and stainless ties to go on it when it arrives.

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

Cool. Your a great driver, but your car isn't that fast. 46 vents and 2" exhaust at sea level is a second faster in the low 11s.

its not like a 2" exhaust wont run. it will. and its going to feel freaking awesome. But its part of the reason the guy next to you is going to dominate you, with less.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Cool. Your a great driver, but your car isn't that fast. 46 vents and 2" exhaust at sea level is a second faster in the low 11s.

its not like a 2" exhaust wont run. it will. and its going to feel freaking awesome. But its part of the reason the guy next to you is going to dominate you, with less.

Wallice calculator says that should be 240 hp, close to what it dyno'd at. It dyno'd at 190 with the 3/4 on it.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Just to get briefly back on topic...

I just got a reply from Marieanne at CB Performance...

Consensus there is that I have a pair of old style wedge port heads and that they should be able to match them pretty close.
Obviously they would need the heads there to make them perfect... but for now I think the CNC cut will be tons better than the turbulent mismatched intakes I have now.

Here's what she sent me:

The numbers near the exhaust ports mean nothing. (Her words)

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: