Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
if the carbs are too close to the car you can always angle mill them toi bring them inward a tad. mine had no issues with the big beef on it.

Never considered this, but great idea !
I have a Bridgeport at work... so this would be an easy task if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Nice you having fun with this build. Nice beer fridge in a very clean shop. Well done. The bug looks fast and so does the lawn mower Wink You like fast. Enjoy the journey. Fun thread.

Just put a 12,000btu air conditioner in the garage today... (it's only 20x20) so I might actually spend more time out there. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Got the intakes on... along with the MSD box and bigger exhaust...

Holy crap this thing really hauls ass now !
Couldnt get my VDO tach to work... so I used an old tach I had instead.
VDO tach is coming out.
New 3-hole panel is coming and will just put another gauge in its place.
Underhood wires still a mess from troubleshooting tach issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

I think you and mark tucker are gonna get along juuuuuuusst fine. Cool

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

TinCanFab wrote:
I think you and mark tucker are gonna get along juuuuuuusst fine. Cool

Please pardon my newbie ignorance... and no offense intended here whatsoever... but who is Mark Tucker ?
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

I got the O2 sensor bung welded in today and the wideband hooked up.

Wife and I went for a ride... but I did not pay much attention to the gauge.
It seemed like it was in pretty good territory most of the ride... (12.0-14.0-ish)

I really need a Gopro mounted in the car to watch the gauge while I romp through a few gears.

The car really hauls ass believe it or not. Laughing

A couple vids I took earlier this eve...

Link

Link
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

A few pics of todays progress..

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Making progress, awesome!

Is that 12k btu AC a ductless mini split? They are a perfect garage addition to any car nut!

DEI makes a great header wrap spray coating that will help protect your header from holding in moisture and rusting out:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F390584839664
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Fun Applause Love the videos

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Making progress, awesome!

Is that 12k btu AC a ductless mini split? They are a perfect garage addition to any car nut!

DEI makes a great header wrap spray coating that will help protect your header from holding in moisture and rusting out:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F390584839664

The AC is just a $259 window unit from Costco. It keeps the garage so cold... the bug windows all fogged up when we pulled it out yesterday. Laughing

The car never stays outside so Im not too worried abt rust... but will look into that spray. Thanks !
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Still waiting for a cyl head temp gauge from Dakota Digital...
also cant seem to get the oil temp gauge to move.
Wondering if the teflon tape is preventing the sending unit from grounding through the threads.

My Fluke IR temp gun shows temps around 280-ish at the base of the intakes.... (after hard 20min drive)so nothing too alarming yet.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Got a fuel pressure gauge on it finally and have a nice solid 3.5psi.

Also removed all the teflon tape from my sender fittings. Havent tested yet because I dont want to open the garage door to let all the heat and humidity in. Laughing
Hopefully that fixes the oil temp issue. (bad sender ground)

King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

The car never stays outside so Im not too worried abt rust... but will look into that spray. Thanks ![/quote]

I have the same wrap, I didnt use the spray either, no rain driving for me and the car is in the garage. The problem is if you wash the car or go thru a puddle the color of the wrap gets all washed out and looks bad.

Got 2 cans of the DEI spray from summit and now it looks new and water does not change the color of the wrap. just looks black all the time.

I only have a before picture, and this was before water hit it. looked lite gold after washing it. after sprayed it is all the same color flat black, nice and sealed.

Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Your running 44 IDFs, so optimistically a 38 vent, and breathing with 1atm. But the exhaust is 2” and blows down from cylinder pressure.

Just going back through this thread and wanted to confirm... Yes, the 44IDF's do in fact have 38mm vents in them.
Had them apart about 2 weeks ago.

Here's what I found:

55 idles
165 mains
190 airs
F11 tubes
38mm vents

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Also to update the thread...

I've been running stock unported Big Beefs on these heads a couple weeks now and the car runs amazingly well. I had to mess around with the linkage to get everything to play nice together... but everything fits perfectly and only took minor trimming for clearence.

I went ahead and ordered another set of Big Beefs, but I'm having these CNC ported to match the old style Wedge Ports.
Right now the car wants to lay over above 5500RPM. I think the bigger/ported intakes will help alot with upper RPM's.

Here's a pic of my ports alongside a pic sent to me from Marieanne at CB...

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Your tail light is leaking blinker fluid.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Since pic was taken, I've put new tail light lenses and reflectors in. Wink
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

As I understand it years ago mechanics would tell people they needed a carborator bearing to see how dumb they were.
Recently while waiting with my mom for her car to get inspected. An older guy at the garage was talking to me and when I started talking about learning to build an engine with my VW he told me not to forget the carborator bearings in a rather sarcastic way.
Answered wth a polite yes I already got them. The look on his face was puzzled so I got the Weber carb book out and showed him a break down of the carbs being very clear to point out the bearings. Guess all these years around cars and he never knew some carburetors really do have bearings!
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Ported intakes showed up a few days ago.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

those will be a significant improvement.

those older heads have very large port volume, it may not be all that lively at lower rpms/cruising around town, but when you really lay into it its going to rip.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: