Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My H30/31 problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: My H30/31 problem Reply with quote

I cleaned and rebuilt (with a kit from aircooled.net) my H30/31 in January. Once it warmed up in April I tried to set the carb with no luck. I posted here and got a few ideas to try and still no luck.

I had read all the posts on the 30/31 rebuild and the debate on the power jet (straight out the right side) having the 65 jet in it and the idle jet (angled toward the back) having the 55 jet. I decided to go with this even though my carb had the 65 in the idle jet location and a 50 in the power jet when I tore it apart.

I could not get the carb to idle and was ready to tear it apart again and clean it for the second time. Today it hit me that maybe it was not getting enough fuel with the 55 in the idle jet. I switched the two jets and started it up and the idle was much better. Let it warm up and set the carb. Now it is right on.

No more hesitation in second gear and stepping on the pedal at 50mph goes right to 60mph very smoothly. That didn't happen before the cleaning and rebuild kit.

I know there are two sides to every debate, but my H30/31 needs the 65 in the idle jet location. As Willie sang, "On the road again"
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My H30/31 problem Reply with quote

I'm on record with having issues with naming conventions of these jets - what it comes down to though, is that they are both parts of a split idle circuit, it was divided to provide for finer adjustment for emissions. Call them what you will, but neither of them are part of the "power fuel, high speed enrichment system"

The angled one is "supposed to be" the larger size, but you are not the first person to say that reversing them made it run better. As these both affect idle and transition, I don't have a problem with switching them out.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: My H30/31 problem Reply with quote

Do what works best for you.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: