Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold Start Valve (CSV) on time
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechief68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Cold Start Valve (CSV) on time Reply with quote

I wanted to determine if my cold start valve in my 77 VW Westfalia was firing during cold start.

I completely remove the cable connecting the coil to the distributor to ensure there was no sparks and mounted the cold start valve to the lid of a small mason jar.

I cranked the engine for about 20 seconds minutes and as you can see I the video, the CSV engaged with a nice misty spray pattern for 5 seconds. Is 5 seconds the expected duration?

I recorded the video below on my iPhone in slow motion ( but the YouTube upload didn’t retain the slowmo action).. while the slowmo shows a great view of the spray pattern but the slowmo audio revealed some concerning sounds.

The first sound is a clicking sound when the starter engages... sounds a bit like a spark... it might be my hot start relay but open to any others thoughts.

The second sound is a chirp as the engine turns... not sure what this might be caused from. Any thoughts on possible causes would be much appreciated.

Here’s a link to the video I took
Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Valve (CSV) on time Reply with quote

the click is a relay. I don't hear the chirp.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Valve (CSV) on time Reply with quote

Five seconds is about right for many climate zones this time of year; you can see the approximate correlation of ambient temp (of the TTS) to spray time in the L-Jet manual on page 28:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf

See you on the road,
Robbie

EDIT: I thought the video WAS slow motion. I feel like your engine is cranking excessively slow now. Cool

Last edited by airschooled on Sun May 19, 2019 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Valve (CSV) on time Reply with quote

The Thermal-Time switch reacts to both time and temperature in deciding how long to spray fuel.

Your starter sounds like it is struggling to turn the engine over, if you are having starting problems, I would suggest figuring out why the engine doesn't crank faster.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Start Valve (CSV) on time Reply with quote

I think I read somewhere that the spray only last 8 seconds (ironically the same as a bull ride).

"I will be looking for eight when they hit that gate and I am hoping the judge ain't blind." George Strait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: