Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why do my rear brakes appear to work great but squeal so bad?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do my rear brakes appear to work great but squeal so bad? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You probably have hydraulic issues o the cold side

Plugged lines
Rusted. Wheel cylinder

How would you test that? The "cold" brake engages when you push the pedal and disengages immediately after releasing the pedal.

Nothing is rusty.

If I wanted to flush that line, is it alright to just open the bleeder or should I disconnect the line from the wheel cylinder (to prevent anything getting lodged in the cylinder)?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do my rear brakes appear to work great but squeal so bad? Reply with quote

Maybe swap the wheel cylinders from right-to-left?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do my rear brakes appear to work great but squeal so bad? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

I forgot to mention that all the rubber hoses were replaced when I did the other brake work, including flushing the old brake fluid.

Crappy new parts is something to consider though.

ok, good for you!

just get under and squeeze each hose to be sure the hoses are ok
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do my rear brakes appear to work great but squeal so bad? Reply with quote

Well, just an anticlimactic update.

I punted this one to my mechanic - I travel for work in the summer so only allow myself about a week to figure stuff out in order to maximize my time USING the van.

They can't find anything wrong although something clearly is. We're thinking maybe something is only occasionally sticking so they're going to replace the wheel cylinder and e-brake cable.

We'll see how that goes. At least I won't get hit with the $1,300 bill like the guy ahead of me at the counter when I dropped off the van this morning Shocked
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Why do my rear brakes work but squeel (Solved, sort of) Reply with quote

It was pointed out to me via PM that I never posted the final result of this saga. TLDR: everything is working fine but I don't know/remember why.

The mechanic replaced the E-brake cable and wheel cylinder on the noisy wheel and it's been silent ever since. He said, "I hate firing the parts cannon and neither of these parts should explain the noise. But old VWs are weird and it seems to have worked".

I've since wondered if the E-brake cable got rerouted in a poor way when my trans was R&Red and that was causing the brake shoe to drag, overheat, and get noisy. Installing a new cable allowed the mech to get the routing correct.

Either way, my brakes work and are quite going on 5 years later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: