Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

So here’s the deal. I feel I should provide a preface before getting to “the good stuff”, if you shall suffer through. A few acknowledgements if I may; Following Rbsurcguy’s thread, crocteau’s encouragement, and John Moxon’s comments, I do feel the need/compelled to go ahead and begin my own build blog.

I’m not sure if I should include the “beginning “ of the tale of the Time Masheen Ghia where its original story lies (In TheSamba - http://tiny.cc/4kis6y) or attempt to bring it here, for timeline purposes.

As I’m a bit lazy and usually short on time, I believe I will do the latter and follow up with an retro update for the purpose of keeping the timeline intact and allow me to archive this on on my own system.

That said, this will (try) to be a weekly update irregardless, hence why the subject title of the thread in The Samba suited me.

Well, with that bit out of the way, I have some serious catching up/updating to let out.

The short, bought a ‘71 Ghia in a field to find out it is actually a ‘68 with a ‘73 1600 single head/port motor.

With the premises of perhaps maybe, in my minds eye, cruising down the street in this beautiful Ghia, has me thinking to keep the project going until I have to take a hard look at the outgoing expenses and decide if/when it may be time to flip.

I fell well enough about this venture as to say I have just about the right amount of resources at my disposal that I think I can actually make this happen.

Let’s jump into the action. So weeks since the purchase of the car and delivery to my home, I’ve begun the process of removing trim as well as layers of paint and bondo.

Working with the engine, she’s a runner, so we started throwing some money that way to ways to improve on what we had.

I’m gonna’ use “we” to reference my Brother-In-law (BIL) as well as you’all of The Samba community as with all due respect.

While researching the “value” or deal of this KraigNotes guy’s listing, “what the actual value of this deal might be?, BIL sent me a link to a running ‘71 I think it was for ‘round 4.5 USD.

The past couple of weeks have been challenging to say the least. With some trespassing issues to interrogation by the police, very little was accomplished on my part over the past two weeks.

However, BIL forever the VW warrior, soldiered onward to perform the back brakes rebuild.

Other items that he (by this time I was useless) accompanied was a rebuild of the single barrel carburetor.

Others items of “discovery “ from me and no less much help from “members of the board” (/Stinkcat raises his glass of beverage in honor of those present/), I have come to understand that I am in possession of two front bumpers . “Stump pullers” as crocteau aptly named them; each with a clear bend in some section(s). I’ll be working the classified to see if I can’t sell or just swap even for a back bumper, even swap if I get lucky enough.

Well, regardless, this was a stopping point at sometime when I had some ‘juice’ or at the very least some forethought to get some of this down in writing before giving up the remains of the day.

Last edited by StinkyCat on Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

I sort of have the feeling of going back and re-posting the first build progress when I initial purchased the vehicle. Here’s the re-post of those weeks prior (feel free to skip as I will be posting more relevant data of course):

StinkyCat wrote:

As I've just dropped some money on a project I've never tried before (Always loved the Ghia as a teen), now an owner (maybe.. more on this later).

Being my first and only project car. I've done what I could to the best of my ability to make sure I didn't just purchase a parts-car, it appears the motor (which I wasn't ever sure was include when I purchased) appears to move freely by hand and *almost* turned over after hooking up a battery to it. Lots and lots of work to be done. My BIL is helping me with the body work, so my job is to get it ready for paint. One man, the job is going slowly, but again, this is my fourth week of owning this one so I've got more excitement than time.

A few mysteries from this Time Machine Ghia, it was advertised as a '72 on KraigsMemo only for it to turn out to be an late '68 according to the chassis number.

In addition, the markings for the motor appears to indicate that its a '73. According to my BIL, the engine is completely unadulterated. Never touched, messed with or upgradedd (Yes, Double "D" for those that know what that means).

I've recently stumbled upon a rim size mystery as well as an pedigree history issue in an effort to try to get an title for this.

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

Go cat, go... Applause
Popcorn
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

The first week would have been the initial purchase and some light work to get this ready. The idea is/was, if she can run on her own, we need to be sure she can stop! Taking a bit of focus on not only getting the parts needed to make her run but she can stop she she needs to. Paint coming off in slow amounts but progress nonetheless.

StinkyCat wrote:
I was able to get back to the '68 and kept working on taking, what appears to be, three coats of paint and two primers. Believe I see the original blue, especially when we pulled off the front badge. Don't think it have ever been removed since the day it rolled off the line.

Super Bonus! It's Alive! (I’ll post video if I can figured it out/if anyone cares). This Time Machine Ghia now has a verified running motor, Yes! No knocks, no rattles. I’ve saving money!

I'm calling this the Time Machine Ghia (maybe start a thread on this later) as when it was advertised, it was a '72 only to verify the chassis says it's a '68. Running a check on the motor, that shows to be a '73.

Several mysteries have come up that with one I've asked about here (Rims) and now with the motor being a '73, my BIL and I figured it was a 1600 engine with a dual port carburetor. Not so, single port and the carburetor has a torn diaphragm and will need a rebuild.

Other mysteries popped up as my BIL identified the car coming with factory air conditioning. No motor/compressor, but we found, what he believes to be a dryer/draining bottle located in the front passenger wheel well.

With some paint off, I also wanted to get to the brakes. The idea, if she can go now, I need to make sure I can get her to stop! I put the Time Machine up on stands and proceeded to remove the front calipers. This was a bit "telling" as I found blue 'over-spray' on each of the front calipers. Aside from that, the pads on there look brand new. Hardly any use. The rubber cylinder diaphragm is also rotted on both them and will need to be reconditioned. The discs look great, aside from surface rust; not a single groove and smooth as ceramic. Ordered new rubber all round front and back. Removed the drums to see if they can be repurposed. Still waiting on some additional parts for the drums.

Gave the blasted rims to my BIL for paint and I already have the rubber back in the garage at home. I’ll find a local shop and get them put on later.

Much Thanks to crocteau for pointing to me about the information on the Z-Bar and it’s usage (https://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=122651). While at the car show El Bug’O this year, asking a few of the vendors about the “Z” bar, I was told more than once, “why bother” or “toss it”. BIL and I discussed about the benefits of having the Z-bar and it might be best to keep the this original configuration as it does help with the handling.

StinkyCat wrote:

Another mystery. What is this piece and what is its purpose? (I’ll post on that in the proper thread about this one).

Now, again, with some help from The Samaba members, it’s pretty clear I have two front bumpers. I’ll see what I can do to either put this up on The Samba classifieds or try to see if anyone will want to do a straight swap for a much needed rear bumper.

StinkyCat wrote:

One last head scratcher… What’s wrong with this picture? I initially thought that *something* looked odd but when taking a closer look, I kinda felt silly. How do I find a replacement for this? Where to look? AH, the adventure is afoot!

Since this post, I had taken the tank back home and started to read up on how to treat rusted tanks. A few MePipe videos showed a few examples of some people who used acid solutions to basic soap and water while using nuts and bolts, sand to copper BB’s. Thinking I don’t want to ‘come out swinging’, I decided to opt for the soap and water with copper BB’s to clean out some of the gunk that was in there.

StinkyCat wrote:

Got the tank out and brought it back with me so I can see if that too can be repurposed. Post more about these as I have to get back to the day job.

It was a Good weekend!

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

As I recall, you have the center section of a front bumper on your rear bumper. The rest of it is all rear bumper, you only need the middle piece.
Like this piece...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1442926

Not suggesting you purchase this or from this seller...just wanted you to understand my drift.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

Less rambling , more pics.

To hell with BBs, trying to get that shit out will drive you nuts. Drop a 2’ section of chain in there.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

@c21darrel - You’re correct. I did indeed take your advice when working with the back bumper initially (TheSamba: https://tinyurl.com/y32p4dsu) where you’all directed me to figure it all out. I started shopping around for the piece I need but between the two “stump pullers” i have one good “bent” fender with a slight retouch of chrome I believe:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

@TDCTDI - LOL. Aye Aye Sir! LOL.

Again, Parts from the recent car show in town (TheSamba: https://tinyurl.com/y3hb7wq9)

Parts 10 USD - Scored!

(/as TDCTDI starts to bum-rush me out the door/), Carburetor Rebuild! Carburetor Rebuild! To see it was to take your own life into your own hand less Tales of the Crypt entity attach itself to your skin, only to become one with the red-rust. Or I guess this Time Masheen went to Mars, both plausible stories:

Seriously, there is nothing ‘liquid’ in there.

A bit closer

Not quite rust, but…

And this was something of interest to BIL whom pointed this out to me as he ‘assumed’ that this was something he had never seen before but suspects is related to the factory A/C option. I’ll depend on the quorum here to set the record straight on how exactly this lever or arm engaged another engine or compressor?

Any-who, so this catches things up to about two week ago. Again, kid trespassing on my property, cops start integrating me. Weekend shot and I was worthless. Wanting to get more things done but I was cooked (anger consumed me at this point). However, Progress *must* be made. I had already delivered the rims I had reconditioned in from out-of-town (the restore is taking place in another village) along with the rubber previously purchased to be mounted/balanced so she could stand on her own feet.

BIL worked on doing the back brakes as well:

Out with the Old….

While in there, we noticed a bearing that should be replaced as well since we know the vehicle hasn’t hit the road in a good 10 years. Since received a pair in the mail... We’ll be back…

Prior to the day going to hell, I had dropped the rims and rubber off at a local tire shop later to pick them up..

Okay. This was a lot for me today. I’ll need to do more ‘work-work’ (the dreadsum stuff that pays for ‘the good stuff’), soooo I must be getting back to it. More I promise (/Stinkycat looks at TDCTDI’s way/)....
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

@TDCTDI, Oh Your right about that! Didn’t take me long sloshing that solution around to know that evil still lurked there and that the grounds would remain descreated until the proper officials were called in for a ‘cleansing’. Besides, I just don’t have the upper body strength anymore (recently went from 320lbs to 210. A lot of muscle gone there...).

Previously mentioned in passing, I’m fortunate to have a variety of machine shops and other mechanics in the area. Took me a few cracks the ol’ interwebs to figure out that the acid wash I was looking for is known as a ‘boil’ in some circles (radiator shops and the like). There was two highly recommended shops in town to which the one I picked took five days and charged me 65usd. Tried to pick up an borescope/Optic-snake-camera off eCove, but the seller flaked. Hoping I could post pics of that one. Delivered the tank to the village and got additional parts such as the filter, pump but needing hoses and the lines… I just can’t trust the lines. It’s as evil might be pumping through its veins. We tried to blow out what we could using a compressor but we found nothing ‘coming out’ leading us to think we’re gonna take the body off somewhere down the line.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

When compressed air fails to clear the blockage, some have reported success using a thin cable (such as may be found on bicycles) spun with a drill to "rod out" the metal fuel line.
The end of the cable can even be slightly frayed to create a sort of brush that will fill the entire diameter of the fuel line.

If all of your efforts to clear out the original fuel line inside the floorpan tunnel fail, the forum search feature will return plenty of info about various alternative methods of replacing/rerouting that line.
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
When compressed air fails to clear the blockage, some have reported success using a thin cable (such as may be found on bicycles) spun with a drill to "rod out" the metal fuel line.
The end of the cable can even be slightly frayed to create a sort of brush that will fill the entire diameter of the fuel line.

This is a *fantastic* idea. BIL and I had the idea of running bailing-wire down the fuel line (along with duck-tape, a must have in every tool bag), Got about a half-inch in before, I suspect, we hit the first bend.

The 'bushing' idea is brilliant! Can't wait to pitch this to my BIL and see what he thinks. @KGCoupe, I owe you a burrito.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

Be sure to adjust your rear brakes out to the drum before trying to bleed. You want to hear/feel shoe on drum with slight drag.
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

Having some side-work tending to the house and other upkeep (The nextdoor neighbors kid trespassing in my backyard). The first signs of ‘this is going to be a bad week’ vibe is when I found the Time Masheen laying in the dirt. We had put her up on stands, which were placed on top of paving bricks. Recent rains had softened the ground enough that she shifted. I quickly tried to get her up n’ steady after dealing with the trespasser, rounding up dogs getting out ‘his secret entrance’ (aka, 4 planks of cedar fencing missing which had to be covered/replaced).

Since all this other work, BIL and I have slowly been working to try to get the engine running at idle at the least. We’ve changed out the oil. With the fuel line still stopped up, we went ahead and ran fuel line from the tank to the back of the engine compartment. I believe there’s a break between where the solid line is exposed by rubber pieces around the transmission line. We figured there would be some added weight or ‘drag’ on the fuel pump due to the ‘dip’ of the fuel hose line we were using instead. BIL tested to see if gravity would make up for some of the pressure and got a mouth full of petrol to know that we had business working at the end to the fuel pump. But no matter how many times we tired, the filter would never suck up any liquid. Now, having looked up the engine number, I see that it’s supposed to be a 1973 with a generator. The new fuel pump I had ordered/delivered/installed was supposed to fit this but it appears the arm is recessed (as it should be as I have come to understand) and the push rod is just not making the ‘connection’ to engage the pump. I double checked all the new fittings and seals but no idle. I went ahead and ordered an alternator fuel pump just to be sure.

Got new shocks on the back installed by my Nephew, which only cost me a steak meal, but I thought it was even in trade since I got more work out of his buddies. I got the new shocks for the front in the mail just this weekend so that will be on the checklist.

Trying to work on the front brake calipers, I hade order the replacement seal kit only to find that when I was able to get all the rubber off, the piston appear frozen. In addition, the bleeder valve snapped off. I went ahead and order new front calipers.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

I thought Texans knew how to dissuade trespassers.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

the alt fuel pump rod is 4" and the generator rod is roughly 1/4 inch longer.
Are both of yours the same size?
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

I placed both the new rod and the old parts side by side for comparison:

Everything appears to be the same.
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I thought Texans knew how to dissuade trespassers.

The neighbors, one shop owner, another unknown gentleman and Mommy, collaborated together and assessed that I was indeed the problem here to the point of which the shopkeeper referred to me as the “jerk from out of town” and proceeded to flip me the bird. I made some posturing gestures to let them know my presence ever since (I cannot confirm, nor deny, that this does mean a shotgun came into play at one point or another).

The Ghia is currently housed in the garage on stands while we work on the engine.

A bit off topic, the house is my second home which is located in the small village of Ruidoso New Mexico. Every weekend I make the two hour trip from the badlands of the border up to the mountains of the Lincoln National Forest, mostly known for two major items. The birth/homeplace of Smokey the Bear and the Lincoln County War where Sheriff George W. Peppin killed local merchant Alexander McSween, but not before a number of McSween’s “regulators” escaped, most notably, William Bonney, aka. Billy the Kid. Local history (I love history) has it he would hide out in the old mill in the village of Ruidoso when he was on the run from the law and federal troops.

I’ve been thinking of Billy a lot these past few days.
Eh?
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

BIL hasn’t been able to join me the past couple of weekends now as he too has the pesky thing of ‘a real job’ getting in the way of doing what he would prefer doing.

I did order the alternator fuel pump and received that along with other goodies in the mail such as front brake pads, fuel tube (which doesn't look right) and some valve gaskets as I know we’ll get to that eventually.

My Sister and Niece were in town for a local cherry festival that was happening in a smaller village down the highway and they stayed with me while I did what little work on the Ghia that I did.

I was so excited to try to alternator fuel pump to see if that would ‘do the trick. I could tell immediately that with the extension of the arm in the alternator pump protruding out a bit, as opposed to the recessed arm of the generator fuel pump, that there was more than enough ‘contact’ coming from the push rod and the fuel pump didn’t quite sit even without being bolted on.

Point out the “rise'' or “gap” with the fuel pump not bolted on yet:

Having to ‘push’ down on it to ensure it’s a ‘tight’ fit. I bolted it on and secured the fuel lines:

Once the engine was running at an idle now and the fuel pump was doing what it was supposed to, I almost felt at a loss of what else to do.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JQKar63nVwlvy_t-hqy60OWw64QZ6J1_
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z59Cv7qHTaupKWiJFMoq_tIyUHfTp16F

I texted BIL with the exciting video of above and expressed the same feeling of accomplishment to which he quickly reminded me of the check list of the front calipers needing to be put on, Shocks to be installed, Fuel line that will need to be unclogged, and the list continues to next week.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

Hey Cat, nice vid! Good to see it running; how's it sound? EDIT: Oops, my bad, the second link has sound Cool

You'll be well advised to relocate that plastic fuel filter to a location outside the engine compartment... like near where the gas line exits the fork beside the transaxle. Wink
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

You should add "engine seal" to your I need to buy list.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549052
StinkyCat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Time Masheen Ghia - Old West Tale of Restoration and Redemption Reply with quote

A few weeks have passed since I have not kept up with my duties of posting updates to the Ghia weekly as intended. To be honest, I believe the weekend prior to the Independence Day national celebration, was probably one of the few weekends we actually did nothing toward the progression of the Time Massheen. Time stood still.

crocteau wrote:

You'll be well advised to relocate that plastic fuel filter to a location outside the engine compartment... like near where the gas line exits the fork beside the transaxle. Wink

Duly noted! I have been discussing with BIL the comments from the fine group of individuals from this forum and he acknowledge his concern for this initial setup with the proximity of not only heat but possible electrical discharge. We eliminated doing “doughnuts” in the driveway much to my chagrin.

c21darrel wrote:
You should add "engine seal" to your I need to buy list.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549052

Purchased and received. Which has me been debating or investigating going with some of the “complete” seal packages available as opposed to “eating an elephant one bite at a time”. Arguments for the latter are some of the experiences I’ve read of others, particularly with the front windshields, some side/quarter pieces coming in a strong second. I have more time than money to think on this one.

Just prior to working with the engine and while I had the tank “scrubbed”, I had ordered a replacement fuel tank hose, but upon arrival, I knew it wasn’t going to be a good fit. This was, as most of my parts purchased, have been iCoast bidding site to ‘watch’ and purchase the parts I need as the best price point I can find. The hose purchase was less than 20 usd with free shipping and as a recent discussion with BIL about “You’ll always have left over parts” resonates, I chalk this one up to an offering to the gods, easy come, easy go, a loss; I leave a 3 star review or average of the seller due to the fact it wasn’t a good fit. The response back from the seller was a bit suprisesing with the tone of general dismay on why I did not bother to contact the reseller prior to the mid-level review. I tried to weight the cost of the part of infliction of any part of his selling reputation on the bidding website, I thought best to let me know of the ‘offering to the gods’ and thougth it was an even trade. He responded again in an tone of disbelief with an inquirey of the specifics of the vehicle as he stated the part sold he had used in many cases for this type of vehicle. Without a true side-by-side comparision, a brief converstaion of back in forth on how I must have a different setup, I decided to put an end to lack of knowledge being a disidvantage, I decided to give him what he needed.

I have received no further denunciatory response since this was provided two weeks ago.

However, the weekend prior to the possible accounted for time lost, BIL and I got the front shocks off and began to decided to look at rods and ends to see what needs to be updated.

I had already purchased and received tie rod end just because I knew we needed to refresh the rubber.

Aside from this, it seemed apparent some of the rods will need replacing:

It was at this juncture we hit a hard stop. BIL noted that the Time Masheen would need to stand still as the safety of the front suspension was very much in question:

The sight of the welding was enough for both of us to know we needed to stop here and a new lowered ball joint beam (with ratched style adjusters) would need to be ordered and shipped (Shipping on this is gonna cost me is what flashed through my mind like a bolt of lightning)

I know I’ve seen some posting of parts and vendors, but I’m still relatively new on the site and try to stay clear of endorsing or even mentioning sites and services using sudonames if anyone cares to notice. I was able to find a well respected vendor mentioned numerous times on this site with a ‘slight’ up charge for the shipping. I’ll consider this a win and the part should be already on-site awaiting my arrival and total dismay of what to do with it when I rest my eyes upon it. Victory!

This catches up to this past weekend, while BIL and I had no further front end to work, we have been making a go a unclogging the fuel line. Nothing glamorous and slow going. All the while I keep dreaming of deals and opportunities and have an ever constant eye on KraigNotes listings, I pass them along to BIL as I lean on him for support and guidance in a relatively unknown field to me, I originally spot a deal for a 1969 Barracuda and the car looks to be in great shape. We devise a quick plan on how in the following two week, BIL will be traveling to Arizona, where the vehicle is located and see if we can’t make a deal. We like this idea and light a burner on the stove for this one. The weekend ends up with BIL and I hosting his daughter and newly wed SIL and his best man to 9 round of the kings game, or AKA, Golf. Fourth time I’ve ever attempted the sport, but yet again, BIL was top of his team in high school and knows a thing or two about the sport and quickly took me under his wing as the team were divided up into “Young Guns” vs. “Old Farts” playing a variation known as ‘scramble’. Wrapping this extraneous details of a story to the end where is the “Old Farts” whipped the ‘Young Guns’. BIL had a good weekend and we winded down with some rest and relaxation when I spy a deal for a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible.

Upon reading the ad and thoroughly pouring over the provided photos, BIL keeps questioning why are we not there now acquiring this vehicle? The deal seems to be too good to pass up and I’ve obviously got more cash than common sense, we start devising a plan to where I will acquire a trailer, work a deal out with the seller. A seed was planted and took root immediately as I started to price out obvious replacement parts and trying to devise a budget and price point to where I can make sense of this all. The rough outline would be that I arrange a sale with the seller, get back to my hometown of the Badlands south of the border and purchase a car hauler and start my way out to Irving TX, where the ad was listed at. The idea would be I could contact the seller and make arrangements to stay with my niece and newly wedded husband in Odessa and make the rest of the trip to Irving and then back to the border. We left Sunday morning with big ideas and overflowing confidence having trying to reach out to the seller the night prior via email, text and phone call. I wouldn’t answer the phone for a good 24 hours *just* in the case he might be trying to call me back. I proceed my normal route back when about midway of the trip I did in fact receive a text back informing me that the vehicle had already been sold. Disappointment washed over me as dreams of grandeur were smashed against the rocks of reality. Simply wasn’t meant to be and I would wait until I arrive home to inform BIL that we lost another one (Yes, another story about ‘the one that got away’ is to be told here but not at this time) and that we would still could resort to plan “B” (Barracuda)... C'est la vie.

Downing on the Uniform of the day and returning to me paying job, I began to start to do some research on the purchase of car haulers when no more than two hours into the start of the day I receive a text message of astonishing amazement! The seller was reaching out again as the deal he had brokered with the potential buyer fell through; he was a no-show and I was next on his list. I hear a distinct sound of opportunity and adrenaline starts to rush through my body. I immediately start to negotiate a meet but explain the disadvantage of distance equal to time on my end to his location, it’s a 10 hour drive as the Google-crow states. He states that he will begin contacting other interested buyers as he goes down the list and if I’m interested, to bring cash. I kick in my best negotiating skills and start a conversation with him about my timeline and ability to be there with cash. A few personal details are exchanged and I believe I hit a solid connection when we discuss we had both served in the same branch of the armed forces. A bond was beginning.

This is where I probably should wrap things up on this thread as the end result is after two days, two states, over 1k miles and one sleepless night, I will be beginning a new thread of a build of a 1971 Volkswagen Bug Convertible:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: