Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

I've been working on the roof of my '57 23-window, and I got to thinking: why did the factory not add 2 more roof windows over the last two side windows?

That got me to thinking why the 2 rear-most windows are not popouts, but that's probably because of the jailbars - just a theory.

Yes, I know people had added the extra roof windows, the like Foosed-up HotDog Fred bus. No, I am not going to do that on mine.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

thom wrote:
I've been working on the roof of my '57 23-window, and I got to thinking: why did the factory not add 2 more roof windows over the last two side windows?

That got me to thinking why the 2 rear-most windows are not popouts, but that's probably because of the jailbars - just a theory.

Yes, I know people had added the extra roof windows, the like Foosed-up HotDog Fred bus. No, I am not going to do that on mine.

I think you answered your own question. Because it would look Fooses-up.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

Your answer lies in the number 23.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Your answer lies in the number 23.

So it has to be prime?

https://interestingengineering.com/weird-enchanting-facts-number-23
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

I suppose economics may have played into it; perhaps the VW brass didn't think it added any real enhancement to incur the production expense to have skylights over a cargo area. Along those lines maybe they even thought that some would appreciate NOT having constant sun exposure there if transporting perishables, etc.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

I think the answer lies in the HDF foosed thread, something along the lines of: because there's nobody sitting back there to enjoy the view out the skylight... (I'm paraphrasing, of course). I suppose the same logic applies to the popouts in the rear hatch area.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
because there's nobody sitting back there to enjoy the view out the skylight

This explanation makes the most sense to me.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

I don't know if I've ever seen a pop out window installed on any VW model that was not immediately next to a seat. They were there for access and ventilation. But a trunk full of Costco fixins and feminine products blocks access to any pop out in the trunk area. Just a hunch.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I don't know if I've ever seen a pop out window installed on any VW model that was not immediately next to a seat. They were there for access and ventilation. But a trunk full of Costco fixins and feminine products blocks access to any pop out in the trunk area. Just a hunch.

They put popouts in the closet on westfalia campers. Not exactly next to a seat, but necessary for ventilation if you shove one of the kids into the closet for a time-out.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

How about pop-out skylight windows?

Take that and run with it Foose.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
hitest wrote:

They put popouts in the closet on westfalia campers. Not exactly next to a seat, but necessary for ventilation if you shove one of the kids into the closet for a time-out.

Some people have stinky clothes.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Lind wrote:
hitest wrote:

Some people have stinky clothes.

Were the windows there before it went to Westfalia? Just curious, cause me camping clothes be gettin dank.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2250046

Here's a safari extravaganza!
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
How about pop-out skylight windows?

Take that and run with it Foose.

There was a bus in the whines a few years ago with popout skylights
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2250046

Here's a safari extravaganza!

That's Wack!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
hitest wrote:

Or keeping your linens fresh.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Lind wrote:
hitest wrote:

Or keeping your linens fresh.

In one of my flipseat brochures it states that the closet pop-out is for exactly that; keeping your linens fresh.

Why is the other pop-out on "standard flipseats" behind the driver and backward?

Back to the topic.. Have you ever been in a sunroof deluxe on a warm sunny day? 23 windows is more than plenty. No where to hide from the sun blasting in at all angles Laughing
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Busstom wrote:
because there's nobody sitting back there to enjoy the view out the skylight

This explanation makes the most sense to me.

ya. Since that area was for luggage, no pop out windows there from Factory.
normal equipment was 2 pop outs- the 3rd window each side. 6 was a option. This was where the passengers in the back could open them. So when Westfalia installed a camper kit there were already 2 or 6 pop out windows in teh bus.

Many SO-42s had M108, which meant from the VW factory they got a fixed glass in the closet. 'without 5 side windows'.
Westfalia evidently installed five jalousies. Early bay westys had fixed windows in the closet there. I suppose in the late 60s they thought your linen was fresh. Very Happy

I had a 21 and on a hot sunny day was very tempted to rattle can paint over the drivers skylight. I no longer own a skylight bus.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

Many SO-42s had M108, which meant from the VW factory they got a fixed glass in the closet. 'without 5 side windows'.

Exactly Surprised
My so42 has a fixed window (and no evidence of pop-out mounts) at the closet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhetorical question: why 23-windows and not 25? Reply with quote

I figured the later Westy with fixed glass was to keep people from kyping the closet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: