Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tar board substitute?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

I pulled the engine out of my '59 Beetle last night to check the starter bushing and replace the flywheel seal. While it is out I am wondering whether to replace/remove the tarboards ? They are unsightly, curled up after only two years. Would it be better to just remove them or is there a better replacement out there? I see Empi has a S/S set but they don't look like they fit like the stock tarboard. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, what is best method to remove/replace starter bushing ? I have read using an easy out or thread tap works. Can they be drifted out ? The starter has a tendency drag sometimes.

Thanks in advance.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

If engine is out use a drift. A piece of wood would also work. I think the SS ones are for looks only.
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

I replaced my old, original and sagging engine tarboards with new ones from Chris Vallone at ClassicVWBugs.com. They're heavy rubber material and they look both correct and very nice when installed.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

Leave the fake chrome stuff in the 80`s where it belongs. Try Wolfsburg West for tarboards. They are very nice. But like anything, will require some trimming to fit right.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Try Wolfsburg West for tarboards.

Yes, WW's tarboards are very good quality and have the look and texture of the originals. They do require a bit of trimming though. They're the smooth type, not the waffle pattern seen in some cars.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
If engine is out use a drift. A piece of wood would also work. I think the SS ones are for looks only.

I carved a wood dowel to fit the bushing to put a new one in, helps keep everything aligned, and no load on bushing diameter. Also makes you work more gently tapping things in or out.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

West Coast Metric tar boards are a more flexible waffle pattern material. That is all I am using anymore. Easy to work with and look good.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I would like to stay with the tarboard; shipping from either WW or WCM or Chris Vallone; may dirve the cost too high. I did buy a set from a local suplier but they look to be poorer quality. The saga continues.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

There is an old thread in the ovals forum where a prominent samba user made his own tar boards to get as close to factory match as he could. I’ll hunt it down for you, and you can consider making yourself some high quality and authentic functioning tar board.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

I replaced mine and came to regret it in short order; have learned to love the bare look instead... If you must use them, don't cheap out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

I was partly right... it’s John S Henry. He has a great website that details ALOT of VW stuff, but also his 57 resto. I can’t copy anything in here as he has protections, but here is a link.

https://www.thebugshop.org/goresto.htm
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I would like to stay with the tarboard; shipping from either WW or WCM or Chris Vallone; may dirve the cost too high. I did buy a set from a local suplier but they look to be poorer quality. The saga continues.

What amount would make the cost too high for you? Think of it this way.... Would you rather spend a few hundred dollars now, or a few thousand later? I’ve worked on dozens of cars with home brewed, or poor quality tar boards that have had the material droop over the intake of the fanshroud. Some instances, the overheating was caught early, and it simply shortened the life of the engine. Other instances had the cam gears being the only reusable parts out of the longblock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick Anderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

Look at the kit from Classic VW Bugs Not original but very good quality: https://www.classicvwbugs.com/vw-karmann-ghia-engi...ation-kit/
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

Sure looks like the WCM stuff.....Just sayin'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

I have made 2 sets using the J.H. method, out of doubled up " tar paper" both pairs have enduranced time, and still look great. Buy the paper at most home improvement stores.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

Cip1.ca has German-made tarboards on sale til month-end for $69 CDN. If you can add $30 more to the order, you'll get free shipping. Their boards a very good quality. Ordering inside Canada will save you the 30% exchange on the dollars, and excess shipping costs ...
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

Well I ended up making some engine compartment "liners" out of light gauge steel and then coated them with "rock guard" product. They look good and no fear of them ever warping or sagging. I may post pics if and when I solve my dragging starter issue.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

Something VERY important is using OE style that has a fabric on the one side. The fabric goes againts the firewall - not on the engine side. Just replaced it on a car that the fabric was coming loose and it wold eventually get into the fan.
chrisklinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

Just as an addendum, on my Ghia, the front (crap aftermarket the PO put in, before the bondo I'm guessing) tarboard managed to come loose, and wiggle its way between the front tin and the firewall.
And sat on the J-pipe
And caught fire.

Only engine fire I've ever had, in about 40 years of VWs.

Lemme tell, that shit is not easy to put out, once it lights. And once out, it relights itself. Over. and. over. again.

I was DAMNED GLAD I had a full, large halon extinguisher.

RAMVA forever.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: tar board substitute? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Something VERY important is using OE style that has a fabric on the one side.

Where did you get this OE style board?

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: