Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeb1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Where did you get the front turn signal lens from? I've heard not so good things about the reproductions, but those look good.

Most of the sway bar mounting kits out there suck, but CIP sells one that fits perfectly. Part number C24-211-498-101-A. I put the larger sway bar on my 69 Westfalia last week and these clamps look and fit just like the originals. Very easy to install.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

I bought the sway bar from CIP1 but it told me to buy C24-211-498-101-A2 for the clamps. I see that the ones you bought are oe German quality. Shoulda went with those.

I've tried several different aftermarket lenses and even the hella marked fakes are pretty crappy. The best I have found are through eBay user socaliap. Sometimes the chrome is incomplete but when I point it out they replace them with good ones. They fit pretty good and have crisper mold lines than the Hella fakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Looking very nice.

I am usually willing to tackle nearly any mechanical job, but for some reason I am always hesitant to open up a gauge or clock. You make it look fairly simple.

Thanks! I take the "don't f@$k around with it too much" approach. If I had to go any farther than I did I would be in over my head.

Here is a short video of the clock in action. There are two winds in the video:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-MuuZ2J5_l/?igshid=18u7va7t34jrn

Was the background music intentional? Laughing You've inspired me to look at my clock. Cool

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Was the background music intentional? Laughing You've inspired me to look at my clock. Cool

Yes! Dave Brubeck's / Paul Desmonds' Take Five single which was later put on their Time Out album.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Yes! Dave Brubeck's / Paul Desmonds' Take Five single which was later put on their Time Out album.

A version was also done by Val Bennett - The Russians are Coming - which was the credit song at the end of "The Secret Life of Machines" in the vid above.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

Here is the single.

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

A couple shots from a recent camping trip at South Carlsbad State Beach. Perfect weather.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Were you able to just roll up and get a space?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Were you able to just roll up and get a space?

No, but I figured out how to hack the reservation system. Cancellations come up all the time. I got the spot a couple weeks ago.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

That’s quite a set up. Can you give us more details on your stove cabinet? Does it fit where the ice box would go in your bus? Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
That’s quite a set up. Can you give us more details on your stove cabinet? Does it fit where the ice box would go in your bus? Very Happy

It will fit in the back deck area but I put it on the cargo area floor. I slide it between the jump seat and the small cabinet that replaced the sink/icebox when I have passengers in the back. I put the back of the camp box against the Z-bed when no passengers need that space. I'll post some photos later this week.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:

Here's a couple photos:

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to have a friend from thesamba share one of his original paint L70X hubcaps with me. I searched several dozen powder coat colors and found this to be the best stock color match. This is a "coastal grey" color swatch agaiinst the og cap. Powder by Prismatic Powders. I'm having some hubcaps coated now and will show them next to the original when they are done.

VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Fantastic! I'm looking forward to the results, thanks for sharing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Cool, please post in this Split Bus hub cap thread too when you have comparison photos.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Cool, please post in this Split Bus hub cap thread too when you have comparison photos.

Added the info. to that thread. Should have the caps back in a couple weeks.
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

How did the caps turn out? Thinking of getting mine done if it’s a good match.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

bus guy wrote:

They turned out pretty good. I think this is the best over-the-counter color match for L70X. Here is the finished hubcap next to an original L70X cap.

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

I put together a Baltic Birch lantern case for my 200A lantern. It has a couple drawers for storage and a space for a 1 quart can of fuel.

bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
bus guy wrote:

They turned out pretty good. I think this is the best over-the-counter color match for L70X. Here is the finished hubcap next to an original L70X cap.

Thanks for the info!
westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
I put together a Baltic Birch lantern case for my 200A lantern. It has a couple drawers for storage and a space for a 1 quart can of fuel.

Strong work on that cabinet. Very nice.

Support our troops. Not all injuries are visible ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: