Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Somehow this build just resonates with me. I feel like it is one of the maybe 10 or 20 best-for-me TheSamba builds ever.
Why? Maybe the color, the hub caps, the interior mods?
And you guy can't even figure out who it the conversion company? (My mind is about 80% Riviera... ASI is in Oregon) WTF? Maybe it's not important that it is determined.
Lots of good stuff on these few pages.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Somehow this build just resonates with me. I feel like it is one of the maybe 10 or 20 best-for-me TheSamba builds ever......
Lots of good stuff on these few pages.

Wow, thanks.

I have been kinda going with the odd-ball, off-brand mods and updates with this one. I don't feel confined too much by originality since its unidentified and it has received lots of alternative love and attention through it's life. For example, when I wanted to add roof racks I stayed away from the mainstream Westfalia racks. It just felt like the original owner would have went with a JC Whitney, Montgomery Ward or Sears Roebuck rack, so I went with the ones I did. Not super popular and identifiable. I even modded the rear one to make it a better fit.

Right now I am making a mini version chuck box with a Sears branded stove rather than a Coleman. This will be easier to carry than my big chuck box on short camp trips and just seems more right for this bus than true Coleman gear. I also carry a Bernzomatic lantern rather than a Coleman and am hunting a blue Sears cooler.

This has been a fun bus so far.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

I kinda get the Sears link. I worked at the factory that built Craftsman tool boxes. If you have a Craftsman tool box built from September thru December of 1968, there is 25% chance my hands were on it. 50 years ago.
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
I kinda get the Sears link. I worked at the factory that built Craftsman tool boxes. If you have a Craftsman tool box built from September thru December of 1968, there is 25% chance my hands were on it. 50 years ago.

Very cool! When I got my first job I would buy a Craftsman tool every time I got a paycheck.

Made some progress on the Sears stove mini chuck box. Built the utensil drawer and a spice rack drawer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

I have a couple of old boxes from roughly that era. Is there any way to date them?

Also, love this bus and what you have done with it, Anchovy. The cabinetry is a perfect match.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Found a Sears lantern and heater to go with my spare tire:

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

Very cool! When I got my first job I would buy a Craftsman tool every time I got a paycheck.

Made some progress on the Sears stove mini chuck box. Built the utensil drawer and a spice rack drawer.

I was kind in the same mindset.
Very first paycheck from first job at a shoe store at age 16, I walked across the street and ordered me a Craftsman torque wrench. A couple weeks later, a set of metric sockets. Still have all of them. Pretty good stuff, now 55 years old.
Vanagons:
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

This bus came with a Riviera style drink tray. The surface was slick so stuff slid around and the drink holes were way too small for all but 8 oz. dixie cups. It was heavy too; made from MDF board and laminated with the cutting board pattern formica.

I made this replacement from Baltic birch. It's about half the weight of the original and is sized to hold a standard burger tray and drink from In-n-out. I sized the tray to fit in the glove box. (The OG tray barely fit front to back). This is for the passenger as I plan to make a center console box for the driver but I strategically placed the french fry side of the box toward me.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
but I strategically placed the french fry side of the box toward me.

For the win!
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Nice update! Thanks for the tip on the hubcap colour BTW; I went in with a couple of other people and shipped some of that powder to the UK so we can get our hubcaps done in the correct colour. Much appreciated Smile
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

bus guy wrote:
Nice update! Thanks for the tip on the hubcap colour BTW; I went in with a couple of other people and shipped some of that powder to the UK so we can get our hubcaps done in the correct colour. Much appreciated Smile

You are welcome. Hope the powder works out. Post some pics when you have them done.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

On the way to OCTO last month the generator light came on, but only at high revs. By the end of the trip it was constantly on and the generator was spewing metal fines and dust all over. Bearing were good but something was not happy inside the generator.

I replaced the generator with the motor in place by removing the carburetor, pulling the fan nut off and pulling the generator back and up. No need to loosen the fan shroud or pull the generator stand.

To loosen/tighten the fan nut I remove half the generator pulley so I can use a crescent wrench on the flat of the pulley and brace it against the crank pulley. I've never had luck wedging a screw driver in the pulley notch to hold it in place. The pulley always bends or the screwdriver pops out. The half pulley method makes for an easier time and no need for three hands.

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Forgive me if you already covered this, but what is the push-pull knob immediately to the left of the tray?
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Forgive me if you already covered this, but what is the push-pull knob immediately to the left of the tray?

The pull knob is connected to the heat control lever on the front panel. There is a stiff cable in a Bowden tube so you can push/pull to divert heat from the floor to the windshield defrost vents. Installed by someone at some point in the camper’s life. It works well and keeps you from leaning over or using your foot to use the factory heat control lever.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Please tell me that you have another spare on there somewhere besides that ancient Sears tire. That's fine for looks, but i do not expect it will actually serve as a spare if needed.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Please tell me that you have another spare on there somewhere besides that ancient Sears tire. That's fine for looks, but i do not expect it will actually serve as a spare if needed.

Right, I wouldn't use it as a spare. I have a real one and a AAA card. Wink
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Test driving the burger tray. Will need lots of testing to get it just right. Wink

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Almost done with my smaller chuck box for my period Sears stove. It’s a lot more manageable in size than my big chuck box but still holds 4 sets of dinnerware, cooking utensils and pot & pans. The top stove cover doubles as a work surface. I will use 2 hi-stands for the set up or a campground picnic table.

The PO had made large tags for the gas and deck lid keys so I made a similar tag for the latch on the chuck box.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Wow, nice! Where does one source the hi-stands?
Vanagons:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Dad got me one for my 18th in that time frame. Now I’ve got a new bucket list item, to get Alan to sign it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: