Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help restoring fiberglass pop-top and luggage rack
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghigg403
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Help restoring fiberglass pop-top and luggage rack Reply with quote

The poptop and luggage rack on my '82 vanagon have long since seen better days. The fiberglass is completely de-glossed is feathering and starting to wear down evenly, though it is structurally sound. Touching it is like touching fiberglass insulation, if that helps to explain the state.

I expect there is an epoxy or resin surface coating that can be applied to build up the weather resistance, but I'm not too sure of the process or what to look for as mine is so far gone.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This photo, you can see the feathering in the light. The whole thing is evenly worn much like this.

Photo showing the only part of the luggage rack that isn't worn out like the rest: the section that sits under the pop-top out of the elements most of the time. Still smooth and a little glossy.

I pressure-washed it yesterday because it was REALLY bad. Because there is no glossy protection, dirt and mildew just grows inside the little nooks of the fiberglass layers. It cleaned up pretty good with the pressure washer though.

I'd love some help with this problem if anyone has insight. Thanks in advance.

Garrett
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help restoring fiberglass pop-top and luggage rack Reply with quote

If my top was in that condition I would clean it like you are doing, lightly sand with 200 grit to remove the big fibers, roll on a coat of interlux to lock in the remaining fibers, let it cure well, sand again with 200 to get a nice surface, and then roll on one or two more coats of interlux to finish it. YMMV.

Here is a topical thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554979

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help restoring fiberglass pop-top and luggage rack Reply with quote

Mine was not that rough but +1 for Interlux. I painted just the top surface with white (to keep the heat out, per a tip from dobryan) and it makes for a thick protective coating.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help restoring fiberglass pop-top and luggage rack Reply with quote

Did you notice a difference in heat gain with the white? I'm considering the same treatment.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help restoring fiberglass pop-top and luggage rack Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on the Interlux - would you guys use that in preference to the Rustoleum marine top-side paint also recommended in quite a few threads?

In almost the same boat as Garrett currently, except our top (despite being also utterly covered in moss too) is still very glossy. Going to paint it anyway though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help restoring fiberglass pop-top and luggage rack Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
Did you notice a difference in heat gain with the white? I'm considering the same treatment.

Yes. The white is cool to the touch in full sun where the body color sides are hot…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help restoring fiberglass pop-top and luggage rack Reply with quote

All good advice except I would use Perfection instead of Topside Enamel. Two part and if rolled on with hotdog rollers it looks sprayed. Have patience and do what Interlux says and you will have a perfect job.

Try looking at marine sites as there is a serious industry which wants to succeed in having fiberglass to look like a Rolls Royce. And they have.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help restoring fiberglass pop-top and luggage rack Reply with quote

White is an amazing difference to the Titian Red that my top was originally. Twelve thumbs up for white...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: