Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 seats
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: 67 seats Reply with quote

Did any 1967 beetles come with high back front seats from the factory?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

Pretty sure they didn't ...those seats in your pic are from a much newer than 60's vehicle. Very early 67's have the 66-style seatback release lever, and later one had a seatback release button about half-way up on the side of the seatback ...like the later highback seats. If someone is trying to pass-off those seats in your pic as OE 67 Beetle seats, I'd be suspicious of anything else they are saying ....
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:

No

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

[quote="VOLKSWAGNUT"]
shakers73 wrote:

No

.[/quote

NO.....X100
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

No the seller isn't trying to pass them off as OE. I thought they were later model seats and ask her if she had the OE seats and she told me that these are the only ones she has. Car looks (from the photos she has of it) to be pretty much original except for the seats. I'll find out tomorrow when I go look at it.

The bumpers and molding look right. The bumper mounted reverse lights are in place.

Feel free to add things I need to look for, as I realize this year model has a lot of one year only parts.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
Feel free to add things I need to look for, as I realize this year model has a lot of one year only parts.

Sit down.. pour something cool to drink.. and start reading

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187814

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

I have a 67 with high back seats. I wondered the same thing. They don't bother me and they are better in a rear end collision!
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

Airstream65 wrote:
I have a 67 with high back seats. I wondered the same thing. They don't bother me and they are better in a rear end collision!

That is why most people with older cars switched to the 68-70 high backs..
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

I put a high back on the driver's seat of my '67 as a safety measure. but it wasn't stock.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

65 Sunroof wrote:
Airstream65 wrote:

That is why most people with older cars switched to the 68-70 high backs..

Is the only difference in the 67 and 68-70 seats the head rest? would they be the same if the headrest was removed and covered with 67 covers? Thanks.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:

Is the only difference in the 67 and 68-70 seats the head rest? would they be the same if the headrest was removed and covered with 67 covers? Thanks.

Yes and no..

The seat back bolt pivot point and size changed after 67 when the high backs were introduced, so you simply cant put high back frames on low back frame bottoms.

But yes. you can cut down high back seats to fake low back look..

Usually and often edited
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

So, are the 68-70 high backs the only ones that will fit the 67. I know the 73 and later are not an option, but how about the ones for a 71 or 72?

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
So, are the 68-70 high backs the only ones that will fit the 67. I know the 73 and later are not an option, but how about the ones for a 71 or 72?

1971 and newer have different seat tracks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

Zactly Wink

RareAir wrote:
There are basically only 4 styles of seat rails (not including the standard type that utilize wing nuts to hold down the seat)

1950-55 are straight and have 2 tabs for adjustment

1956-70 "L" style

1971/72 "T" style

1973-79 Tripod style

Usually and often edited
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
shakers73 wrote:

Yes and no..

The seat back bolt pivot point and size changed after 67 when the high backs were introduced, so you simply cant put high back frames on low back frame bottoms.

But yes. you can cut down high back seats to fake low back look..

I have an early high back somewhere that fits the ‘67 base perfectly. I think I heard somewhere ‘68 are one year only seats so maybe that’s why.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

I have an early high back somewhere that fits the ‘67 base perfectly. I think I heard somewhere ‘68 are one year only seats so maybe that’s why.

Yes true.. I was just generalizing year range

Yes early to late mid 68's. will fit directly.. but .. not many left out there..
From what I read ...It was a change due to the extra leverage from the longer backs breaking the seat pivot loose. Also.. not ideal in crashes either.

I had tried to fit some 70 backs on a some 67 bottom's once.. Nadda.
Pissed me off because my plans were low for show.. and high for go..
Had all the covers that matched too.. Mad

IMO.. cut them down and move on.

Once you take the cover off you will find low back seat frames with a welded on add on head rest.

Use 65-67 covers.

Usually and often edited
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

Now we know that they are from a 73 and later beetle. Just not sure which year. Any help on the correct year. I think I will order some new covers for them sometime in the future. They seem to be a little bit low for my liking, but they are very comfortable to sit on.

Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

It was common for both repair shops and new/used car dealers to replace stock lowbacks with '68 and later seats for safety concerns. As soon as the '68s came out, many (not me!), looked at the '67s as obsolete. But those seats shown above with the huge VW logos are not factory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

Dean1 wrote:
It was common for both repair shops and new/used car dealers to replace stock lowbacks with '68 and later seats for safety concerns. As soon as the '68s came out, many (not me!), looked at the '67s as obsolete. But those seats shown above with the huge VW logos are not factory.

Hey, they would look good in your 67.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 seats Reply with quote

The thing that made me think it was from a later 73-79 beetle is the front glide with the holes are the same as on my 74 super beetle. That's for adjusting the seat on the center hump. The earlier model glides have been welded (jury rigged) making them usable in the the earlier models.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: