Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Hey Mark!

If your chassis is stripped down it is very easy to flip over. In fact when I had both pans removed I could pick the whole thing up and carry it around like a giant awkward guitar. And I'm not built like the Incredible Hulk.

Speaking of your Convertible-- when are you gonna start tearing into it and showing pictures??? You know a restoration hasn't officially "started" until we see shots of it. Smile

Short update- I patched that rotted spot in my repair panel, using another section of the same donor panel that was close to the same curve. Only took a bit of tapping to match it up. Then I reinstalled the rear decklid to make sure it all lines up. Looks good to me. If I can bend/stretch the metal under the decklid without affecting the exterior curves I think all will be well.

I think I'll go play with that now. . .

-Jeremy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Awesome fit!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Hey Mark!

If your chassis is stripped down it is very easy to flip over. In fact when I had both pans removed I could pick the whole thing up and carry it around like a giant awkward guitar. And I'm not built like the Incredible Hulk.

Speaking of your Convertible-- when are you gonna start tearing into it and showing pictures??? You know a restoration hasn't officially "started" until we see shots of it. Smile

Short update- I patched that rotted spot in my repair panel, using another section of the same donor panel that was close to the same curve. Only took a bit of tapping to match it up. Then I reinstalled the rear decklid to make sure it all lines up. Looks good to me. If I can bend/stretch the metal under the decklid without affecting the exterior curves I think all will be well.

I think I'll go play with that now. . .

-Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy for the info! I'm currently working on my garage, and getting ready to start on the car. I bought the door bars since i already have the top and doors off, and just got to get a really good look at it underneath yesterday for the first time. I have quite a bit of body and paint experience (hobby level) but not any welding experience, although I'm not afraid of getting a MIG and learning how. The whole Nap hat and rear part of the frame head have me a little freaked out-the pans don't seem to be as intimidating a job. Thanks again, and we are all enjoying your amazing progress!
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Wait ... what did I just read ?

Quoting from above ... " If I can bend / shape the metal ... "

Master JG , why do you tease us with such words ?

All of us faithful followers never expect "IF I can ... " , more like WHEN I bend / shape this metal ... or ... ONCE I bend / shape this metal ...

We kindly request an edit of the post above Wink
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Hey, REGORDRACIS! I'd much rather state what I'm going to ATTEMPT rather than what I will DO. Bad things happen when you tempt fate. Smile And hey! How's Daisy coming along? We all expect an update on your latest progress. Wink

Speaking of progress: I finished fitting that roof section today. The reshaping of the engine-compartment-flange went as planned, and all lined up well (hoorah!) I forgot to take pics of the inside with the pink foam block, but I'm sure you can visualize it. Wink Here's the panel mid-installation:

And then I started slowly closing up the flange with a smooth hammer. Exciting!

Then I smoothed up the weld seam a bit more and couldn't resist throwing on a coat of temp primer.

At this point I must admit I cracked a beer and looked the area over with a sense of great satisfaction. One month ago it looked like this:

Needless to say, I'm very pleased. The body lines look straight, and the weld seams should be very easy to finish with a light filler skim or maybe even just high-build primer. One Death Foam repair complete! (and one to go)

You'll notice I didn't weld the seam next to the air intake vents yet- and that's because I plan to remove that entire section in order to blast and paint behind it. That's probably my next adventure. . .

-Jeremy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Tell me you don’t call your second helper Number 2 .... Rolling Eyes

Tim
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

That looks great! Nice job! So smooth looking!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Full steam ahead!

These pics are a bit redundant because they look just like the other side; but I'll post 'em anyhow because it feels good. Smile

I wanted to practice TIG here, but the sawhorse is right where I want my head to be- so I took aim with the MIG instead. I'm happy to say the bulkhead welding is complete! I lifted the front-end by the bulkhead corners and it feels solid as a rock. Very gratifying considering the crunchy rusty mess it was before. Jeremy, in hind sight, do you think it would have been easier to buy the bulk head and cut it up to fit? We mere mortals don't all have your fabricating skills, but cutting a pre made piece apart, with all of those compound bends, seems easier? Obviously you saved $150 by not buying the part, just wondering what you think.

Happy New Year all!

-JG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Mark 75 Super Convertible wrote:
jeremy.g wrote:
Full steam ahead!

These pics are a bit redundant because they look just like the other side; but I'll post 'em anyhow because it feels good. Smile

I wanted to practice TIG here, but the sawhorse is right where I want my head to be- so I took aim with the MIG instead. I'm happy to say the bulkhead welding is complete! I lifted the front-end by the bulkhead corners and it feels solid as a rock. Very gratifying considering the crunchy rusty mess it was before. Jeremy, in hind sight, do you think it would have been easier to buy the bulk head and cut it up to fit? We mere mortals don't all have your fabricating skills, but cutting a pre made piece apart, with all of those compound bends, seems easier? Obviously you saved $150 by not buying the part, just wondering what you think.

Happy New Year all!

-JG
Jeremy, do you think you would have saved time if you had bought the bulk head, and cut it up vs. making everything from scratch? I don't have your fabrication skills, and spending a few bucks for the bulk head would be fine with me.
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Jeremy, in hind sight, do you think it would have been easier to buy the bulk head and cut it up to fit?

Probably, yes. But where is the fun in that? Smile

Kidding aside- After my displeasure fitting that aftermarket frame head bottom I steered away from aftermarket and tried hard to source donor panels from ORIGINAL cars, or fabricate patches myself. So far it's worked out well for me.

That being said: The bulkhead is a tricky panel, and I have seen people graft chunks of aftermarket bulkheads to original with great success. Seems like a great way to go.

-Jeremy
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Mark, I can vouch for Jeremy's feedback on aftermarket bulk heads. The replacement panel does not have the correct shape and the tunnel supports. You can buy one and cut the parts you need to repair yours. That is what I did (just because I had one bought years ago and still in good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
Mark, I can vouch for Jeremy's feedback on aftermarket bulk heads. The replacement panel does not have the correct shape and the tunnel supports. You can buy one and cut the parts you need to repair yours. That is what I did (just because I had one bought years ago and still in good shape.
I think if I need to replace parts of the bulk head, this seems like the plan, at least for me. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned a place called Super Beetle Solutions, and they make the capture nut assembly that welds into the bottom of the bulk head. They are a bit pricey at $100, but it looks like a reasonable way to button it all up.
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

I bought a pair of those bulkhead supports from SBS and they were money well spent. Take a look at my thread , painted them bright yellow so they would stand out as I continued to repair around them
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Jeremy, incredible work (as usually). Very Happy

jeremy.g wrote:

And then I started slowly closing up the flange with a smooth hammer. Exciting!

Does it become completely flat again?
I've always wondered how it works when you have to open this flange (or the one on the front side wall at the lower A-pillar) and want to close ist again.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

regordracis wrote:
I bought a pair of those bulkhead supports from SBS and they were money well spent. Take a look at my thread , painted them bright yellow so they would stand out as I continued to repair around them
Thanks, I will check it out! How was SBS to deal with? I'm thinking I will need a 10-12 inch piece of the tunnel like Jeremy made, and I was going to ask SBS if they ever thought of making them.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Well Jeremy, I've officially made it through all 29 pages of your post! It's taken about 2 hours each evening of the last 3 days, and I've re read several sections more than once. I'm sure I'll think of some more questions later on, but my first question is how you cut the sheet metal when making your repairs. The cuts look so clean and precise. I remember a few pages back you mentioned using a Dremil tool-is that all you ever used? Oh, now I remember, I wanted to ask about the little tiny hand held belt sander-where did that come from? it looks very handy! By now I'm sure you are tired of hearing it, but congratulations on an amazing job! And finally, when you convert your current house into a garage, look into getting a mini split system to heat and cool your garage! Mr. Cool makes a package that's only about $1200, and the line set it pre charged, so all you need to do is hook up your electrical line and run the stuff though your wall. I live in south Florida most of the year, and many small shops use those to cool their office area. They are cheap, energy efficient, and almost silent.
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

regordracis wrote:
Thanks, I will check it out! How was SBS to deal with? I'm thinking I will need a 10-12 inch piece of the tunnel like Jeremy made, and I was going to ask SBS if they ever thought of making them.

Hi Mark, apparently this will fit if SB can't help out:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2325677
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

offtherailz1 wrote:
regordracis wrote:

Hi Mark, apparently this will fit if SB can't help out:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2325677
wow, thank you!!
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

All 29 pages? WOW! Hope you got something out of them. Smile It's been a fun journey so far.

Regarding cutting accurate patches: You know the old carpenter adage, "Measure twice--cut once?" That's great for woodworking. When I do metal, it's more like, "Measure a lot--cut oversized--sneak up on the line until you're happy".

I took a bunch of photos while fitting that last roof repair panel. I decided not to post them (cuz I'm already up to 29 freaking pages) but since you asked here's how I fit that last panel.

I started by laying some 1/2" masking tape DIRECTLY on the cut line. Then, I cut my repair panel about 1/4" oversized, and laid it directly on top:

Once the panel was exactly where I wanted it, I laid another strip of the SAME 1/2" tape on top of the first strip. Then I could trace a line with a SHARP pencil, knowing with confidence that the line was exactly where I needed to cut in order to match the panel beneath:

I use a bunch of different tools to cut, depending on the need. Since these were STRAIGHT cuts, I just used my cheap Harbor Freight air cut-off tool. But I cut about 1/16" away from the line "just in case":

Then I "snuck up" on the line using that belt grinder (best tool ever):

That's how I get a good fit on panels like this:

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this works for me.

Thanks for the thoughts on the mini-split! That's exactly what my HVAC guy recommended. Current plan is to put a mini-split in the garage, and ANOTHER mini-split above for my Music Room, as I'm a drummer as well (yeah, yeah--- yet another hobby, right?)

Speaking of the house: we signed all the paperwork for the Construction Loan on Monday. Woohoo! My life is about to get VERY busy. I'm hoping I can still dedicate time to the beetle, but I'm sure it'll be bananas around here. Time to pretend I'm young and energetic again. Smile

-Jeremy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Hey Mark,

All 29 pages? WOW! Hope you got something out of them. Smile It's been a fun journey so far.

Regarding cutting accurate patches: You know the old carpenter adage, "Measure twice--cut once?" That's great for woodworking. When I do metal, it's more like, "Measure a lot--cut oversized--sneak up on the line until you're happy".

I took a bunch of photos while fitting that last roof repair panel. I decided not to post them (cuz I'm already up to 29 freaking pages) but since you asked here's how I fit that last panel.

I started by laying some 1/2" masking tape DIRECTLY on the cut line. Then, I cut my repair panel about 1/4" oversized, and laid it directly on top:

Once the panel was exactly where I wanted it, I laid another strip of the SAME 1/2" tape on top of the first strip. Then I could trace a line with a SHARP pencil, knowing with confidence that the line was exactly where I needed to cut in order to match the panel beneath:

I use a bunch of different tools to cut, depending on the need. Since these were STRAIGHT cuts, I just used my cheap Harbor Freight air cut-off tool. But I cut about 1/16" away from the line "just in case":

Then I "snuck up" on the line using that belt grinder (best tool ever):

That's how I get a good fit on panels like this:

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this works for me.

Thanks for the thoughts on the mini-split! That's exactly what my HVAC guy recommended. Current plan is to put a mini-split in the garage, and ANOTHER mini-split above for my Music Room, as I'm a drummer as well (yeah, yeah--- yet another hobby, right?)

Speaking of the house: we signed all the paperwork for the Construction Loan on Monday. Woohoo! My life is about to get VERY busy. I'm hoping I can still dedicate time to the beetle, but I'm sure it'll be bananas around here. Time to pretend I'm young and energetic again. Smile

-Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy for the exact description of how you plan your cuts! And congratulations on the journey for your new house! My wife and I have restored and sold many houses, but I've never built one from scratch. Sounds like it should be a fun new challenge. And I hope you get to experience a mini split personally before you commit to one-they are amazing! South Florida gets mighty hot and humid, and they are very popular because of their cost and great performance. Good luck!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 32

Jump to: