Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Well, a spring here wouldn't just pull the pedal towards the roller- it also does the opposite, pulling the roller towards the pedal. So it sorta DOES help return the pedal to idle. A quick test with a rubber band:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But I agree- I've never seen evidence of a spring in this location; not in any picture, diagram, or service manual.

But I did find the location of the holes interesting and wondered if they were there for a reason. . .

-JG

I might be a little late to the show but I had problems figuring out the spring thing also when I serviced the assy. on mine.
For the life of me I could not see how the spring that came with the new pedal could work because it kept the pedal away from the roller.I eventually broke it trying to bend it so it would work.

So I bought a spring roller set (4 pcs.) for a sliding screen door.They had a flat 1/4 " wide spring with a plastic roller.I only needed one which I cut the roller off.
I bent the spring and mounted it at the hinge end of the pedal so it would return the pedal.Then I found a small coil spring and mounted it so the pedal would stay in contact with the roller like the rubber band you have.
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:

There on the hand brake lever is the pin broken of that keeps the bracket centered where the brake cables are attached.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Wow, good eye TK! Yep it sure is. Guess I'll be drilling and welding a new pin in place.

Meanwhile I stripped the transmission to 'fairly' clean:

Then I hit it with a quick coat of metallic silver/aluminum. Cuz why not?

-JG
Gbanci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

I have taken on a similar project, 79 super convertible, with a lot of rust repair. Your work is very inspirational! I will be watching your build process and possibly starting a post to cover mine. I think you have me beat with the chassis rust, but I can't imagine your body having more rust than mine. LOL.

Anyway I just wanted to say that this is very impressive so far, and I look forward to seeing more!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:

Looks fantastic. Nice touch.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Buggee! The painted trans will give me something to admire while I'm crawling around under the car looking for oil leaks. Smile

Gbanci- Welcome! Yes, please start a post about your '79! I'd love to follow along and cheer you on. Maybe when we're done we can weigh all the scrap we cut off our beetles to see who wins the 'most rust' game. Smile

Hey Red- Yeah, I had trouble figuring out how that pedal spring was supposed to install too. I kept trying to put it in backwards. I think this is how it goes...

Here's the spring with pedal removed for clarity. The short leg points DOWN towards the floorpan:

With the pedal installed, you lift up the long leg of the spring and tuck it behind the little tab:

Like so. This way it pulls the pedal forward to contact the roller:

I'm still waiting for my brake parts, so I tinkered with some other areas.
I fixed that handbrake pin that TK-CS noticed was broken/missing.
I just drilled a new hole, made a pin to fit and hammered it home:

The pin is tight, but I'll probably zap it with a tack weld to make sure it stays put.

Remember when I mentioned my transmission had trouble going into Reverse gear? I suspected something might be odd with the geometry of the 'modified' shift coupler that came with the autostick-conversion-kit. So I decided to replace the coupler, shifter, and shift rod with stock parts made for the Manual transmission.

I found this shift rod on the Classifieds. It's supposedly from a '73 beetle and looks correct. Here it is on the right, with the standard 'unslotted' cup. (auto-sticks have slotted cups)

The Autostick rod is shorter, which is why it needs the modified (lengthened) coupler when swapping in a Manual gearbox:

My newly acquired shift rod was a lot rustier than I had hoped, but cleaned up nice with some 500grit (and oil), and a trip on the buffer:

Much better. Ready to grease it up and send it down a dark tunnel.
But first, maybe a new shift coupler? Yeah, looks about time to replace:

Oh, and here's my new (old) shifter I picked up on the cheap. I plan to install a really nice shifter eventually (Berg? Hurst?) but this will suffice as I troubleshoot my reverse issue. Needs to be cleaned up a bit first:

Slowly but surely. . .

-JG
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:

Here's the spring with pedal removed for clarity. The short leg points DOWN towards the floorpan:

With the pedal installed, you lift up the long leg of the spring and tuck it behind the little tab:

Like so. This way it pulls the pedal forward to contact the roller:

This is great documentation JG. For the life of me I couldn't figure out the correct positioning of the spring and it's been sitting there flopping on my '73 project's pedal assembly. I'm going to check this on my '74 DD also now.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Glad the pics were useful, Victor! I'm happy to hear I wasn't the only one confused by that spring.

Hurricane Dorian delayed my shipment from TopLine (Curses!) so I'm still waiting on my rear brake kit.

So, I piddled around with the heater cables a bit more.

The black conduit for the front heater cables was pretty trashed:

Nobody sells a ready-made replacement for these conduits but something called "cable housing" made for bicycle shifter cable is a good replacement. I bought the 4mm OD stuff, which is about the right diameter. You have use the metal hardware from your old cable, but it's pretty easy to pry the pieces open and stick 'em on the new cable with pliers:

Oh, and the shift lever is blasted/painted/greased/installed.

-JG
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Oh! I also bought and applied some of this expensive goop.

I tried to apply it as neatly as Buggee did.

I'll let it dry and then slap some more epoxy over it.

-JG
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

It's one of those "two steps backward" kind of days.

I tried to get German ball joints and wheel bearings, but failed miserably.

The Mayle ball joints I bought have German writing on the box, but are also labeled, "Product of China".

My F.A.G. brand wheel bearings are stamped, "Vietnam".

Also: Most of the stick-on weights adorning my freshly balanced wheels have fallen off.

I suppose I'll install the Chinese/Vietnamese parts and hope for the best. And find a shop to hammer old-style weights onto my nice clean powder coated wheels.

Blah.

-JG
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

I hear you! But you have to have a day like that, to fully relish in the happiness of a truest good day. It’s the ying and the yang! Enjoy it all is my motto. Having gotten close to not breathing, I have learned to enjoy it all. I may not like some of it, but I still enjoy it all.

But it still sucks when shit happens!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Mr. "G"

You still beat my, "One step forward and three GIANT leaps back!". It hurts more when I know it's my fault. But, like JIMBO says, It's all good. Otherwise we'd all just buy a finished VW.

Great successes! Always moving forward.
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Thanks fellas. Wise words Jimbo- They can't *all* be good days.
And these setbacks are super trivial in the grand scheme of things.
Sometimes it just feels good to complain (haha!)

Oh well- Moving on. Dropping off the wheels for re-balancing today.

I didn't get the rear wheels installed as I'd hoped, but at least got most of the rear brake components in place. Which is encouraging:

You'll notice an axle nut is missing. I have no idea what I did with the darn thing. I just ordered a replacement.

One more thing to complain about! Laughing

-JG
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:

You'll notice an axle nut is missing. I have no idea what I did with the darn thing. I just ordered a replacement.

One more thing to complain about! Laughing

-JG

Cool, now you'll have an extra! It will be found shortly after your new one arrives! I think that's how the law is written.

Fantastic job thus far, keep it up!

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Ha! Ain't that the truth Paul?

Well, on to some more fabrication while I wait on parts.

These little nubs that hold the bump-stops on seem to be a common rust casualty. One of mine was missing completely and the other holding on by a rusty thread. Popped right off with little force:

I've seen these replaced lots of ways on other threads. I happened to have a piece of 1" steel pipe lying around so I decided to give that a shot:

I hit the end with a torch and tapped it over into roughly the same profile as the original piece. Then I stuck a piece of round bar inside to give me something to forge to.

Then a bit of localized heat to tap in the shoulder.

Until I end up with this:

It looks about right. I'd like to hacksaw it off and weld it in place, but I think I'll wait until my rubber bump-stops arrive so I can check the fit first. So I'll make one more, and then back to waiting on parts. (Sigh. . .)

-JG
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

WOW!!!!

Okay I rarely, if ever, get flabbergasted. But - DAMN!

DUDE, THAT IS SOOOOO F’N COOL!!!! I wanna do that!

WOW! If it fits the first time....WOW!!!!

Thanks for that! That, to me, is talent, skill and hard learning. I get it and truly am loving seeing this! Very cool!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Another WOW!! from me.
You make it look like Magic or Cloning!

Sooo, super cool Cool
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Awesome!
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

If you didnt want to chance messing up the finish on everything else, You could weld a flat piece on the bottom of what you just made, and drill through it and the part of the frame, tap it and bolt the thing down. Using small bolts would make it pretty easy to do. At the same time, covering the majority of the chassis and burning that nub on wouldnt be that difficult either. lol. Ya got options anyways
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, guys!
And Jimbo- glad you got a kick out of the pipe trick. I do enjoy a bit of fire-and-hammer work. Smile

ds79: That's a keen idea. I actually had trouble welding in the first one because the mig tip is too fat to get close enough. So I used a variation of your idea on the second one.

I cut some tabs with a hacksaw and bent 'em over:

This allowed me to use a big sloppy weld from the inside. I just stuck in the mig and let 'er rip. Like a 3000 degree caulking gun:

Bets of all, it fits! I stuck it on with some silicone, hoping that would help repel water (and future repairs like this)

Oh and I put on a shock, just for fun. Rear end is getting close. . .

-JG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 32

Jump to: