Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:

TK- Yep! That's the original gasket lip. No rust at all. Sing it with me! "I wish they all could be California cars. . ."

Laughing Laughing

Believe me, you don't wanna hear my singing...

I've been to some VW scrapyards in the greater L.A. area during a vacation some years ago. Couldn't believe in which rust free condition the cars were.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI

Last edited by TK-CS on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Wow. Amazing how well-preserved those cars are. Restoration would be almost too easy!

We moved the body to the center of the floor. I was hoping to simply rest the heater channels on the sawhorses, until I got a good look at the driver's side rear:

Nope! Let's go to Plan B. I screwed some blocks together so the rear could rest on the mounting brackets:

That'll work. Then we simply jacked up the body a bit at a time and slid it over:

Now that there's actually room to open the driver's door, we removed it.

This was easier said than done. We removed the passenger door by driving out the hinge pins. It was a pain, but not impossible. The driver's side pins were not playing nice at all. I tried the air-hammer. I tried the 3 pound sledge and drift. I tried this hinge-removal tool from Eastwood:

The pins on the tool kept bending. SO I made a new pin out of a piece of drill bit. By cranking down the tool AND hammering on it, I got the pin to move about 1/4". But the top pin was not budging.

I finally gave up on the pins and resorted to the screws. My old manual impact driver had a bit that fit the screws quite well:

10 minutes later the door was free. Man. Shoulda done that 2 days ago.

Next up: Out comes the dash and I'll attack the front rust repair.

-JG
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Restoration would be almost too easy!

I wouldn't mind...
When I arrived at the excess baggage counter at the airport with the body of a 74 Super under my arm, they told me if it won't fit in the x-ray machine, they won't carry it. So I had to take it back... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Looking forward to your work on the body. That corner of the rear end of the left heater channel gives a good example how the body of my 75 Super looks everywhere.
Interested in a 6 month Germany vacation with free meals and lodging? Laughing Laughing Laughing
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Hey TK- sounds like a good holiday to me! I miss German beer. I wonder if my boss would mind me taking a 6-month vacation. . .?

I got lots more disassembly done today. Dashboard, wiring, duct parts, wiper assembly, blower; the whole front end is essentially nothing but sheet metal now:

My new 1/4" spot-weld drill came in, so I thought I'd start drilling out the apron. So I first sanded back some paint to find the 'dimples' that a spotweld leaves. But what's this....? I can't find any in the usual spots!

Sanding back a bit further, I discovered something interesting. Is that... brass?

I believe it is. It looks to me like this is not the first nose job my beetle has had. I think a replacement apron was brazed on sometime before I bought the car. behind the apron I see more of the same inside the trunk:

I wonder how extensive the repairs were? This oddness caught my eye as well.

See where trunk bottom panel meets the side? The lip has a big gap that's filled with seam sealer. My donor panel shows this section spot-welded tight. It'll be interesting to see how (if...?!) this lip is attached once I dig into it.

-JG
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Looks like you are starting to have some fun, finally. Getting into cutting and pasting! I will be following along. Looking good so far!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Hey Mr."G"

You probably found them already, but the spot welds for the Front Apron are located inside the trunk where the Spare tire well connects to the apron. They were a PINA to get to with the spot weld cutter. Somehow, I think that with your skills and imagination, you will have an easier time then I did(and faster!). Applause
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Fun indeed, Jim! Feels good.

That's just it MAC- the apron isn't spot welded at all. It was tacked in place with braze every few inches on the fender edges and in 3 places inside the trunk. This apron has most certainly been replaced before (back when brazing was more popular for bodywork? When torches reigned, before the rise of MIG?)

Anyhow- I managed to wipe the smile off my car. Time to tackle that spare wheel panel!

-JG
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

DUDE! YOU GOT IT OFF! That is a large hurdle to jump. Great job!

Now, break out the Ospho and get rid of the rust before welding!

Awesome job! My hats off to you!

I am sitting here felling your pain. That looks like hell to remove.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

THANKS JIM! Yeah, that job was no fun. But that was the easy part! Check out this madness:

Yep, I removed the entire trunk bottom. WOW there's not much left up front! You can walk up practically to the windshield.

I realized today that my beloved beetle led a ROUGH life before I bought it in the early 90's -- Both the apron AND trunk bottom had been replaced before. The spot welds were drilled out everywhere (including under the gas tank) and the trunk bottom 'plug-brazed' in place.

At first this realization disappointed me. It's a bummer to learn your car had been 'wrecked' in the past. But then the newfound knowledge emboldened me. This repair is frighteningly daunting. But my car had survived this same repair once before. Surely I can piece it back together again. Smile

Ok- If there is a POSITIVE side to removing the trunk bottom, it is this: I now have terrific access for all the front-end welding that needs to be done. (Bulkhead, fresh-air box, pan mounting nut-boxes, strut towers... *sigh*)

Hey, anybody here use a TIG welder? I'm very enamored with the idea lately. I'd really like the ability to create softer welds so I can metal finish them without the fear of cracking.

-JG
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

TIG,d a few times. Never got proficient at it. A very good friend, the best man in my wedding, is an awesome welder. His family built refrigerators for hotels and places like that. His TIGing was impeccable. I would watch him and was just blown away by the gracefulness.

I also watched when Scott of MCM taught me how to build a VW transmission. He welded 3rd and 4th gears to their hubs. It was like art! That is a skill and a half.

I never got even close to that level. Maybe one day I will get a TIG and give myself a few lessons!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about picking up a TIG and giving it a shot. It looks like the 'mechanics' are similar to oxy-acetylene welding, but with the added complexity of a foot pedal thrown in. Sounds like fun. Smile

I broke apart my donor clip today. So...many...welds.

Towards the back is a bit tricky. There are 3 layers of steel here which are tied together with beads of weld. Had to grind all the weld out before the panels could be separated.

Here's the clip broken down:

And here's an inner wheelhouse panel next to the part it will replace. There will be some careful fitting involved.

-JG
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

It looks different. Is it or am I making shit up?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

The difference is no rust...
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

HA!

I think TK is correct. Smile

The parts look identical to me. But I'm holding the replacement at a bit of an angle so it doesn't look quite right.

-JG
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

This man loves his Beetle. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
This man loves his Beetle. Smile

This must be true. Why else would we go to the lengths we do...? Smile

The last few days I did a little bit of cutting, and a lot of pondering.

The Cutting:
One of the forward chassis mounting bolts had broken off, and simply 'spun' instead of loosening. I cut out a bit of the wheel well skin to see what was going on. Looks like the captive plate broke free:

The surrounding metal looks pretty solid. So once I cut out more of the wheel well skin I can sandblast/treat/paint the inside and then secure that captive plate.

The Pondering:
There are (4) bolts that secure the pan to beefy reinforcement 'boxes' inside the bulkhead/firewall (whatever you want to call it. I'm going to call it a bulkhead.) Anyhow- all 4 of these bolts sheared off when I tried to remove them. The thin inner & outer skins of my bulkhead have lots of rust holes to be repaired, but I really need to assess the state of those interior reinforcement boxes. AND I need to get the bolts removed (I've tried repeatedly with heat, welded nut, etc). So I stared for a while with beverage in hand while I pondered next steps. I'd love to start sandblasting and welding my donor parts in, but I think I need to get the bulkhead 100% solid first while I've got such good access to it. And to do that I'll need to chop the heater channels from the bulkhead.

My thoughts on how to move forward:

1) Weld temp reinforcement bars across door openings and body.
2) Cut off front of both heater channels to expose bulkhead rear corners.
3) Cut sections from rear of bulkhead corners to expose reinforcement boxes.
4) Assess condition of those boxes. Free up bolts. Repair/Replace as needed.
5) Work from the bulkhead->Forward cutting/pasting until rust is gone and beetle has a smile again.

That's the current plan. But to paraphrase the old military adage, "No plan survives contact with the enemy", I expect that plan may change as we discover more of the enemy (rust). . .

-JG
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Keep the access holes round and small (1-1/2”) and you will be good. I like using a hole saw. I cut 7/8 of the circle, maintaining an attachment point to use as a hinge for the 7/8 circle cut. Fold the circle out of the way. Do what you need to do on the interior. Spray some weldable primer in and around that area. Fold the circle back into position and weld it in place.

Good luck!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Small bit of progress. I tacked in some reinforcement bars, using whatever steel bits I had lying around:

Then I chopped off the fronts of the heater channels so I could get a better look at the bulkhead corners. I didn't need to cut any inspection holes because the rust already made them for me Smile

You can see that the chassis bolts are COMPLETELY rust-fused to the threaded plate. They certainly weren't coming out without a fight!

My hope is that I can repair the bulkhead in-place by patching just the outer 'skins'. I'll have to abandon this plan if my reinforcement boxes are rusted out. But this bit of exploratory surgery leaves me cautiously optimistic. In the last pic I tapped a chisel between (what's left of) the bulkhead bottom and the reinforcement box. The box still looks quite thick and solid. I need to cut a bit more for a better look but I'm hoping I dodged a bullet here!

-JG
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

You need to diagonal brace the door opening. The door opening will move and rack during the channel install. Cross bracing works great.

Before welding in completely, install the door and see how it closes. Adjust and then weld them in.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Roger that, Jim!

I plan to bolt the body back to the pan and check door alignment before I cut out the heater channels. X-bracing sounds like a fabulous idea.

I'm replacing BOTH doors, so fingers crossed that everything lines up nicely.

-JG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 32

Jump to: