Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SchoolcraftSignal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Mark 75 Super Convertible wrote:
Jeremy, in hind sight, do you think it would have been easier to buy the bulk head and cut it up to fit?

Probably, yes. But where is the fun in that? Smile

Kidding aside- After my displeasure fitting that aftermarket frame head bottom I steered away from aftermarket and tried hard to source donor panels from ORIGINAL cars, or fabricate patches myself. So far it's worked out well for me.

That being said: The bulkhead is a tricky panel, and I have seen people graft chunks of aftermarket bulkheads to original with great success. Seems like a great way to go.

-Jeremy

I would like to point out that I did buy the full bulkhead and the ones that are advertised for Super Beetle do not fit. I bought the one from CIP1 and it only kinda fits. Its designed for a standard rather than a super and the shape is completely different. You could make it fit if you wanted too but it isn't right and I chose to fabricate it myself anyways.

"Sven" 1965 Sunroof Beetle
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Hey Mr. "G",
I hope the house is going well and all is well with the family. Because, I'm really having some Jeremy.G's withdrawal! It got so bad that I had to actually work on my own project to fill the void. Shocked

Good luck and hope to to see more of your impeccable work soon!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

MACJELLY58 wrote:
Hey Mr. "G",
I hope the house is going well and all is well with the family. Because, I'm really having some Jeremy.G's withdrawal! It got so bad that I had to actually work on my own project to fill the void. Shocked

x2

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
MACJELLY58 wrote:
Hey Mr. "G",

x2

x3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Hello, friends- thanks for checking up on me. Smile

I'm still alive, and silently watching all your progress from afar. MAC- that's gotta feel GOOD getting some primer on finished panels! Awesome.

All my energy has been going into the house last few weeks. Here's a quick shot of me checking out my 'new basement', just to prove I haven't been sitting on my a$$:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I installed a temp front door (the white one), and then demolished the front porch and slab/stairs (yellow door) to make way for the excavation. The hole is somewhat terrifying, and feels like the house will tumble into it at any moment. Especially after all the rain, which filled this hole about 8" deep. Water has since been pumped out, and we're hoping to form and pour footings today. Once the basement is poured and backfilled I'll be a LOT less nervous! And hopefully have some time to play with the beetle again as the framers do their thing.

Wish me luck!

-Jeremy
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

That’s a cool shot. Not many have walked next to a home like that!

That shot reminds me of a Laguna Beach cliff house I built, on 21 cassions. Exact same thing in relation to the hole and the house perched directly above it. This one sat on a 45 degree down slope and we did it through a portion of the rainy season. STRESS!!!! I did not sleep well for several weeks!

Looks like progress! Have fun and good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Wow, that's a huge excavation...

Wish you luck!
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Keep the old house and make this your new multi level garage!
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Good luck Jeremy! We are all pulling for you.
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

How’s the house build going Jeremy?

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for asking, 'rails!
And thank you all for the good wishes.

A lot has happened since November! It's been a long road. The framing crew my builder hired is *terrible*. I've made them stop work several times to correct their mistakes, and I've re-done a lot of the framing myself just to get it right.

Complaints and problems aside; I'm excited. It's amazing to see something I've been drawing for the last 15 years actually take shape in 3 dimensions in my front yard.

That being said: I can't wait to be done and get back to my beetle! I give her a wistful pat on the roof now and then to let her know I haven't forgotten her.

Here are a couple shots showing current state of new house, old house, and the cocoon.

I hope you all keep plugging away at your projects, and thanks for thinking of me.

I BE BACK!

-Jeremy
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Worked the mig today, after a vitamin Jeremy G thread for attitude calibration.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

The house is majestic! Love the porches. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Love the style of the house. Has a Victorian, mid to late 1800s look. You lucky guy!

Keep updating the thread!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Wow, just wow. Superb sir. Was hoping you was going to weld it all though Very Happy

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Jeremy, your new house is amazing! You were living in the smaller house behind, on the same property? That's going to be quite an adjustment, but in a good way. Congratulations on building such a fine looking home!
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Thanks for asking, 'rails!
And thank you all for the good wishes.

A lot has happened since November! It's been a long road. The framing crew my builder hired is *terrible*. I've made them stop work several times to correct their mistakes, and I've re-done a lot of the framing myself just to get it right.

-Jeremy

I had my Suspicions that the Jeremy "G" quest for perfection went beyond an old Beetle. I get it...You like it the way you like it, DONE RIGHT!!

Really Looking Good Very Happy
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Sorry, just got my bearings from the previous picture. The Basement must be HUGE!!
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Hello, friends!

I'm bummed it's been so long since my last update, and further bummed that I have no progress to report on the beetle.

But it is April 11- which marks the 2nd anniversary of the beginning of this thread. So it's time for another picture! Here's me and my crew, and the beetle which is patiently awaiting the Return of our attentions:

And here's a quick shot of the project that has diverted our attentions. We're excited to see the chimney up, and the roof on. Progress has been made on HVAC and Electric, with Plumbing soon to follow.

We're 6 months into the house build, with (hopefully!) 6 months more to go!

I hope all your projects are progressing swimmingly.

Best,

-Jeremy
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremy.G's 1973 Super Beetle restoration Reply with quote

Glad to see you and your crew are good and that house is coming along. That is a monster chimney! Looks like Buggee's going to finish before you! We'll be here when you guys get back to it!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: