Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Lowlight find/ preservation
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

A few month back I was browsing thesamba classifieds thread on Facebook, and somebody had made a post that they were looking for a Ghia to buy, there was over 100 comments with pictures of ghias for sale and through the middle I saw this one posted for sale, I immediately messaged the guy asking how much and where he was located. Car was literally a few miles from me. So I went to check it out and bought it, guy even delivered it. PO stated Ghia belonged to his uncle since mid 70s, he lived in Fontana but worked in the high desert, and would use it for transportation when he would go to the desert. His uncle got sick so it sat since 83. Car is super solid no rust beside small spot under battery the size of a quarter, original 36 horse motor which I have got running now. Drivers fender was replaced at one point but luckily they used lowlight fender. Only thing missing was front bumper, front grill, and nose emblem. Had a type 3 long axle trans in it, but swapped it out for shortaxle full synchro trans I had laying around.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Decided to lower the car. Beam, spindles , disc brakes and drop spring plates with repro fuchs

I hated the yellow it was painted and saw that og paint peeking through so we decided to do the tedious job of stripping the paint to reveal the original pelican red/ black roof, I will blend areas with paint I had matched.

vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Was pretty happy the way paint was turning out, still have some details to work out

Got the car running pretty good with the original motor so I will be taking it to the upcoming Prado show
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Yes!!!!

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Bravo!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Looks like a good buy, FB has it uses Laughing
Nice job on the paint stripping, looks 100x better!
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Looks ace. Top job
Strip that black vinyl off those thinbacks too; lets see whats under there
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Nice. I think I looked at this one last year. The guy selling was a metal polisher in Upland, shop just south of Foothill. He kind of see-saweded on me about wanting/not wanting to sell. Awesome to take it back to original paint. Congrats.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Great find! Great job on the paint removal! Looks great! More pics!

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Looks ace. Top job
Strip that black vinyl off those thinbacks too; lets see whats under there

When I took front seats out to clean them I took a peak underneath at and seems like the og material is still there but afraid to see what’s really under there, they covered them for a reason so I’m sure they are torn, I’ll get to them eventually, just want to get the outside all squared away first. rear seat og material is long gone for sure.
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Good buy and really well done on getting it to og paint!!👍👍
What did you use/how did you proceed? I am considering doing it to my vanagon single cab (that also got repainted in a weird yellow Laughing )

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Awesome find man... I have a 57 as well. How’s the interior... I see it has thin back seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Beautiful car, shame about the front apron though.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

TRS63 wrote:
Good buy and really well done on getting it to og paint!!👍👍
What did you use/how did you proceed? I am considering doing it to my vanagon single cab (that also got repainted in a weird yellow Laughing )

Antoine

Thanks guys, as for stripping back the paint, luckily only has 2 layers, primer coat, then mustard color, the top mustard color came off easily with heat gun and scraper/razor. Lower parts of car was a little tougher, the primer were used laquer thinner and 00 steel wool, that part was rather messy and not too much pressure was applied being careful not to dig into the og paint
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Cool

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Favorite color combo
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Looks awesome, good job on stripping 'er down!
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

Any updates on this car?
vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Lowlight find/ preservation Reply with quote

It’s been sold and now resides in Las Vegas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: