Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I have a quick question for you all. I have two motors that I am looking to take out of hibernation in the next few months and wanted to know if there are any things I should ensure I do before going through the efforts of firing them up.

-Both motors were professionally built. One is a 2276cc and the other is a 2176cc.
-Both have less than 1000 miles on them.
-Both motors have been sitting on the shelf for about 3 years.
-Both engines are going to have the engine tin removed and powder coated before being put into use. So I will ensure that the longblocks are clean and good to go.
-Both engines were stored as complete motors, so there is no chance that there is any debris or dirt inside.
-Both motors were stored with oil in the engines.

My biggest concern was valve springs. Neither of the motors had the rockers removed before storage. If they have been sitting for an extended period of time, is there a chance that certain valve springs have fatigued and can potentially be a problem?

I may be overthinking this and might be good to just fire them up, but wanted to ask. Maybe all I need to do is a quick valve adjustment and ensure all push rod tube seals are good and go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation Reply with quote

Put in fresh oil and fire them up.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation Reply with quote

Agreed, let them get warm to chase out any sludge and change the oil again.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation Reply with quote

Whichever valves that were open may have allowed enough moisture in to rust the rings and cylinders a bit. I start stored engines every now and then and don't worry about the valves. A year is pushing it though. But it's and Air Cooled engine and they usually fire up after years if stored inside or if in the desert or somewhere pretty dry they will even start if just in a car after years.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Whichever valves that were open may have allowed enough moisture in to rust the rings and cylinders a bit. I start stored engines every now and then and don't worry about the valves. A year is pushing it though. But it's and Air Cooled engine and they usually fire up after years if stored inside or if in the desert or somewhere pretty dry they will even start if just in a car after years.

personally I have always lived in extremely dry areas, I have never had to worry about this sort of issue. but if your humidity is greater than 0..... all bets are off .

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation Reply with quote

Turlock is pretty dry. I would change the oil/filter and fire them up
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation Reply with quote

I would spray a little lube into each cylinder and turn them over a few times by hand before firing them.

Brian
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the input. Eric is correct, Turlock (in the central valley of California) is very dry during the majority of the year besides whenever it actually rains in the winter. But the rain is minimal and these motors were in dry storage the whole time. They both turn over easily by hand.

I will do a quick valve adjustment on both motors, put fresh oil in both of them and fire them up!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Check list before taking a motor out of hibernation Reply with quote

Bret Young wrote:
I will do a quick valve adjustment on both motors, put fresh oil in both of them and fire them up!

Also my recommendation.

When running, check for any fuel leakage.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: