Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Hi rogertj. I have read your threads on this engine conversion. It seems to me your old engine has had water in it either from a bad head gasket or it just got in from the aircleaner. I think your compression is too high from the 1.8 head on a 2.0 block. That is causing preignition and that is why your engine is overheating assuming your cooling system is working correctly. Your cheapest way out is just replace the engine you already have with a used 1.8 out of a golf. I have run that set up for many years in the hills of New England. It will out run a 2.1 WXB. Will it haul ass? No, but it is drivable. I could have a good 1.8 engine running and ready to drive in a day, not including whatever other problems the van may have. I bet you could find a good used engine for $200 and you are done. It would take me a month, part time, to do any of your other plans. I hope this helps. John.

Hey John, thanks for your feedback,

I actually followed a suggestion here in the forums putting double gaskets with shellac and it fixed the overheating problems, God knows how much time that head was in the machining shop... for now I think I can survive until the next maintenance needed. Im running it right now with distilled water and is not needing anymore so thats good news. I will do the antifreeze in this days for sure.

1.8 is definitely in the list but when I think in climbing 100km with cargo in this rig I always wish the H6 was in my house. Lets see how it goes in this days. Heck I maybe plan a test trip with cargo to that mountain range in Baja to see if my current conversion olds the load Laughing

I did a trip to a national park 2 weeks ago and everything runed fine
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

[quote="danfromsyr"]
go the H6 and automatic,, path of least financial resistance hauling ass for a novice.
[quote="metropoj"]

Will consider that for sure
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climber2377
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This van made it down 81 doing 75 up mountains in had to downshift to 4th a few times and it goes up them at 60-65. I have an anti sway bar upgrade. Suby 2.5 with reversed gears 4.11 final drive. Do it. It's fun!!
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

climber2377 wrote:

This van made it down 81 doing 75 up mountains in had to downshift to 4th a few times and it goes up them at 60-65. I have an anti sway bar upgrade. Suby 2.5 with reversed gears 4.11 final drive. Do it. It's fun!!

I have been checking out subarugears awesome upgrade hope to have it soon. What was your donor car?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: