Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van Life vs Creeper Life
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

The whole #vanlife thing kinda crept up on me while I wasn’t paying attention. Here in CA, vans have always been part of the landscape for surfing, skiing, climbing etc. So I got my van for my own travel purposes. I chose a Vanagon for other reasons. Then, suddenly, it became a THiNG. Even the girl at the drive thru praised my van.

But it wasn’t that long ago that Van Life meant Creeper Life. I think most people seeing someone driving a van that wasn’t clearly a work van were more than a little suspicious bout what was going on in there.

But before Creeper Life, there used to be quite a bit of van conversion fun in the 70s and 80s. Remember that show the A-Team? I used to love that van when I was a kid.

I wonder if Van Life will stay cool, or go back to being seen as Creeper Life.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

It never ended being creeper life. You just became a creeper.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

At least your not a Bay Lifer though. Thats really Creepy.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It never ended being creeper life. You just became a creeper.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

At least your not a Bay Lifer though. Thats really Creepy.

That’s probably true.

But in other news, the hashtag crowd doesn’t seem to be celebrating creepers, unless I’m misreading.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

I think you're paying too much attention to internet memes. Of course, I grew up camping out of a pretty sick converted Econo-line in the late 80s so never knew vans were seen as "creeper" in any serious way.

The two times locally that someone was observed creeping around elementary schools, and had the cops watching for them, it was a Dodge pickup truck and some type of car.

Along the lines of your OP though, I wonder if camping out of a tent will eventually be looked down upon. Frankly, I would LOVE to take a trip or two in my super plush Alltrack and sleep in a tent instead of fighting crosswinds in the van but my wife ain't having it. It's getting to be where you can't go to a camping area or trailhead without it looking like a Sprinter convention or rooftop tent expo.

Last edited by SCM on Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

Who owns a Vanagon and no creeper?
....maybe the folks with a gravel driveway etc.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
..there used to be quite a bit of van conversion fun in the 70s and 80s. Remember that show the A-Team? I used to love that van when I was a kid...

Oh Yeahhh!!! You are not alone. Although it did not have a Wizard airbrushed on the side - that Van was cool. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:
..there used to be quite a bit of van conversion fun in the 70s and 80s. Remember that show the A-Team? I used to love that van when I was a kid...

Oh Yeahhh!!! You are not alone. Although it did not have a Wizard airbrushed on the side - that Van was cool. Cool

I pity the fool that don't love that van.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

In our recent experience, in many camp hosts and RVer's eyes, it's already creeper life.

And in those same eyes, those in tents are already seen as "poor."

Their loss, Viva la Vanagons!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

When I had a gravel driveway, no creeper. Moved to a house with a garage, now have a creeper. Nice thing about the Vanagon is that there's space beneath for creeper and me and tasks. Our two other vehicles are not as considerate.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

For awhile when I was a kid we had brown Ford van with typical “conversion” for the time. Not a typical passenger van, back seat folded into a bed, two swiveling middle seats, lots of carpet and fake wood paneling. No camping equipment. We used it to tow a small pop up trailer to the Grand Canyon. Frequently on the verge of overheating, we limped into Vegas, using my sister’s doll clothes soaked in ice water wrapped around our heads because there was no AC. And the sunroof leaked . And the cig lighter in the back smoked.

And people say VWs are a mess.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Sodo wrote:

When I had a gravel driveway, no creeper. Moved to a house with a garage, now have a creeper. Nice thing about the Vanagon is that there's space beneath for creeper and me and tasks. Our two other vehicles are not as considerate.
. How rude of them.... Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

Sorry, but the only "Creeper Life" vans are these:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Volkswagen vans/Buses have only ever been known in my world as the free-loving, open-roading, totally rad modes of transportation and traveling that seemingly everyone adores... when stopped/parked; out on the interstates, all bets are off.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Volkswagen vans/Buses have only ever been known in my world as the free-loving, open-roading, totally rad modes of transportation and traveling that seemingly everyone adores... when stopped/parked; out on the interstates, all bets are off.

An extended panel van with no windows, that’s Extra Creep.

I’m thinking now that I’ll try starting Creeper Life for the sake of irony.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Yes! And, shudder..

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

have the Workahloics mentality..

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

Everyone knows that VW busses are #hippylife.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

Kamz, please never post pics of our van again.

TIA. (👍🏼)

Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

I've had many girls say my van is cute. I don't feel creeper at all. Like Dave said, more of a Hippie life than anything.

Oh I was at a gas station in the hood once and this guy said he likes my "doobie van* Laughing
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I've had many girls say my van is cute. I don't feel creeper at all. Like Dave said, more of a Hippie life than anything.

Oh I was at a gas station in the hood once and this guy said he likes my "doobie van* Laughing
I was driving home from work last week on the very first day I'd been able to drive the Van home after working, slowly, on it these past few months. There was a guy stopped in Traffic in the opposite Direction, . Called out, What Year's Your Van?
I yelled back ,'84, and then he replied that he had a 1969 Bus at home...
Made my afternoon drive, totally....
Later that day, I had a mid to late 70's Bay Window pass by me in the opposite direction, we both waved to each other.... Cool Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Van Life vs Creeper Life Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

That'd be me. Ive been called a gravel back. 4 months out of the year at least Smile . Once there were too many kids in the family dad sold the TR 7 and bought a late 60s dodge van. He promptly installed 6 airline seats from Boeing surplus in the back. It was cool to have flip down tray tables. Later during our corvair era we were driven around in a Greenbrier, didnt think it was as cool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: