Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter top bolt helper
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

Working alone you’ll encounter this problem some day. You try to install top bolt but as you try to thread the nut bolt pushes back through, what to do?

Ck this out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Using plumbers putty roll up a small piece

Install around the head like this

Install and smash it down

Now you can thread it as the putty will hold the bolt in place.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

I've used "Gorilla Snot" otherwise known as weatherstrip adhesive.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

I use exterior double sided tape. Stick it to the back side of the bolt, like Zund is doing with the putty. Slide it in and go put the nut on!

However, the surface has to be clean for that to work. The putty would work on oil or dirt.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

I use the putty, like Zund does. When you tighten the bolt, the putty just squeezes out. No harm.

It’s another of those cool tricks that make life a lot easier when working on a VW when you’re alone. Although, the last time I installed an engine, it was my friend’s Karmann Ghia. He just got under the car and held the bolt stationary.

Any other time, I’ve had to go it alone—except for my trusty snake Shocked .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

That is a great idea. I used this stuff called duck seal, sorta the same consistency as plumber putty.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

Just for sorta related information, the last new Bosch 'automatic' style starter that I used, didn't have the locking boss for the top bolt. So this job just got harder.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:
Just for sorta related information, the last new Bosch 'automatic' style starter that I used, didn't have the locking boss for the top bolt. So this job just got harder.

I have a IMI starter and it doesn't have any nubs... so i use this:

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

I've always asked my wife to help. This is a nice alternative.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
rosevillain wrote:

I have a IMI starter and it doesn't have any nubs... so i use this:

Dope!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

after wire brushing the bolt's threads, I just use a piece of duct tape to hold the bolt head in place. Might try some of these other suggestions. Now if I only had a double jointed elbow to get back there to the nut. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

These are some good ideas.

Funny, because I've never done anything special to hold such bolt in place. I just apply a little side pressure to the bolt end as I thread on the nut a turn, then I pull the nut slightly rearward as I turn it. I guess this helps to have a bolt and nut that thread together easily.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
These are some good ideas.

Funny, because I've never done anything special to hold such bolt in place. I just apply a little side pressure to the bolt end as I thread on the nut a turn, then I pull the nut slightly rearward as I turn it. I guess this helps to have a bolt and nut that thread together easily.

When I was younger I could get my forearm past the fan shroud and in far enough to reach the nut. That allowed me to do exactly as you have written.

But now, my forearms are to wide to slip in behind the shouts. That is no longer an option. So, I had to find another way. I get it started by tightening the bottom 2 nuts. Go underneath and slide the starter bolt in. On my way back out, I loosen the bottom two nuts about four turns on the lower studs. The engine then leans forward enough for me to get my hands and arms in back of the shouts. I then install the nut as far as it will go. Reinsert the engine to the tranny. And with a long open ended wrench turn the nut about 1/16 each time.Takes forever but better than removing the decklid and fan shouts. Although on the 2127 that is how I tackle that one!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter top bolt helper Reply with quote

A ratcheting box end might be easier, price is way down on them now I got gear wrench brand with fine tooth and it speeds things up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: