Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 with j-pipes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. Just got my hands on a 67 beetle. Pretty much stock. Need to source a pair of front seats, and set of heater boxes.

What all is usually removed when switching to j-pipes? The fresh air hoses are missing and 2 smaller hoses that connect to the oil bath air filter. What are they called and what do they connect to under the rear tin? Any ideas on where I might source these items?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

Heat Exchangers can be installed with the engine in, but being you are a beginner it probably would be easier to just pull the engine out,

You are missing the lower rear cylinder tins also.

The original VW dealer Parts Manual is accessible thru this website:

http://www.oacdp.org/

The type 1 parts manual is thru the "Upcoming" button at the top of that webpage. Lots of need to see exploded diagrams, proper parts names and parts numbers that can be used to find parts thru WWW searches.

You also need this manual ASAP:

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Beetle-Karmann-O...amp;sr=8-2

Check your local used book store for a good used copy for less, or the classifieds here on this website, or any VW swap meets.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

What E&B said.

The pipes that connect the smaller preheat tube to the air cleaner are called "Stove Pipes." They connect to the exhaust port studs when all the proper tins are in place.

When you source a set of heat exchangers. You will also need the "sled Tins."
That go under the push rod tubes. This should be in the diagram linked above.

Regarding seats. If you want stock seats. There are two models in the 67 year. Early seat bottoms had a lever at the pivot to release the seat back. Later seats had the release lever on the door side of the seat back.
Personally, I would like to have a set of seats like your car has. I tend to corner rather aggressively. Causing my body so shift across the seat bottom on stock seats. Depending which direction I'm turning.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
What E&B said.

The pipes that connect the smaller preheat tube to the air cleaner are called "Stove Pipes." They connect to the exhaust port studs when all the proper tins are in place.

So I need 2 heat exchangers, 2 rear cylinder tins, 2 sled tins, and 2 stove pipes. Will this be all I need to put it back to stock?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

Good, solid looking car. I think you are on the right path putting it back original... not to far off the target.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
What E&B said.

So I need 2 heat exchangers, 2 rear cylinder tins, 2 sled tins, and 2 stove pipes. Will this be all I need to put it back to stock?

These are the two stove pipes I need. Right?

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

the what looks to be a giant mouse nest around the #2 exhaust pipe where the muffler attaches to the head (or is that the gravel below, difficult to tell from your pics), as well as the missing heater 'bulb' on the left side tells me you should consider installing a new muffler.

better pics, and some pics of the underside of the engine can help determine what you need to go back to a more stock configuration.

this is the preheating pipe and tin set up for a '67.
be aware that the 40hp left tin looks the same, but is about 1/2" shorter/
send me a pm or contact me through one of my classified ads if you need any of the tins or preheater pipes, i have them available.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:

Hard to tell from here from the few images of the engine. You might be missing the thermostat parts. Might be missing the front engine tin piece. Might have a 1971 and later Doghouse fan shroud missing all the exhaust tin for the oil cooler. Your year of beetle would have left the factory with a non-Doghouse which worked, but was not as good at cooling the engine. DH shroud has a box on the left front of the shroud.

Really need images of the engine that are not so close up to get an over view, and from different angles. Plus would not hurt to get at least two looking up underneath.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
shakers73 wrote:

Hard to tell from here from the few images of the engine. You might be missing the thermostat parts. Might be missing the front engine tin piece. Might have a 1971 and later Doghouse fan shroud missing all the exhaust tin for the oil cooler. Your year of beetle would have left the factory with a non-Doghouse which worked, but was not as good at cooling the engine. DH shroud has a box on the left front of the shroud.

Really need images of the engine that are not so close up to get an over view, and from different angles. Plus would not hurt to get at least two looking up underneath.

I'm familiar with the doghouse as I have a 1776 dual port in a 74 super beetle.

The engine in the 67 is a stock 1500. Is there an adapter made to move the cooler outside the fan shroud and use the DH shroud?

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Heat Exchangers can be installed with the engine in, but being you are a beginner it probably would be easier to just pull the engine out

I'd also pull the engine to do this. A VW owner must know how to do this anyway, so why not now...

I also like the smaller brass nuts for attaching stuff to the cylinder head studs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:

The engine in the 67 is a stock 1500. Is there an adapter made to move the cooler outside the fan shroud and use the DH shroud?

Easy conversion with common off shelf parts for as early as 1200cc 40 HP engines. Just need 6 to 8 mm studs and 8 to 10mm oil cooler adapter seals.

Just because the engine is supposedly "Stock", does not mean it has been rebuilt with all stock for that year parts.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Fri May 31, 2019 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426412&highlight=40+hp+dog+house
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

use copious amounts of antisieze on the exhaust parts!

Nice 67, I had one that color once, his name was Newton.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
the what looks to be a giant mouse nest around the #2 exhaust pipe where the muffler attaches to the head (or is that the gravel below, difficult to tell from your pics), as well as the missing heater 'bulb' on the left side tells me you should consider installing a new muffler.

better pics, and some pics of the underside of the engine can help determine what you need to go back to a more stock configuration.

this is the preheating pipe and tin set up for a '67.
be aware that the 40hp left tin looks the same, but is about 1/2" shorter/
send me a pm or contact me through one of my classified ads if you need any of the tins or preheater pipes, i have them available.

That's gravel with what's left of a stack of hay bales underneath the car.

Here are some more photos from the engine bay and beneath.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

Shroud is non-DH. Engine looks pretty good than other missing so much tin, hopefully it was not run hard or too long that way.

Agreed, you should really get a stock type muffler. If you want to get full flow oil filtration you should get a muffler that has the heat riser pipe on the right side, and one of the CB Maxi 2 or stock Mexican oil filter pumps. While neither oil filter pump was stock for 1967, having all the usual crud not go thru the bearings is good for the longevity of the engine between rebuilds.

You have the thermostat bracket, but looks like the rest is MIA.

Need to get the rubber plug in the rear apron!
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

You will definitely need a proper muffler as the one you have doesn't appear to have the housings over the pipes for the exchangers to attach to.

Other than that, it looks like what the others have pointed out is mostly it. The rear tins with the holes and the stove pipes can be tough to find, but they pop up here every so often.

I have been working on the same project on my 67.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

the generator is installed 90 degrees off. that should be corrected, as correct orientation provides for proper air flow for the generator.
really nice to see the original, "67 only" carb support bracket.
you have no thermostat, but i think you knew that already.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll get it all sorted, before I put her on the road.

One more question, What are the correct heat exchangers? I've found some in the classifieds that are listed as being for 58-67 and others that are for 63-74?

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

Your looking for fresh air type heat exchangers. Any 65-66- 73year will fit. Probably more years. But that is a safe range.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2052053
$10 a piece. That's a deal!

Good Luck.
shakers73 wrote:
Yeah, I'll get it all sorted, before I put her on the road.

One more question, What are the correct heat exchangers? I've found some in the classifieds that are listed as being for 58-67 and others that are for 63-74?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 with j-pipes Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:

Non-F typeI, and not the post-1967 bus ones that have the cable connections way up near the top/head of the HE. Also make sure the outlet is 60mm, not the earlier 50mm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: