Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

I don't know your location, but I had my pan media blasted and it turned out perfect.

My car had been outside for 7 years and the pan was rusted and I had to replaced the battery section. It cost me less then $200. I'm also looking to go the media "dustless" blast route with my shell, but unsure because it needs some additional body work done and I don't have a paint booth.

When I had it media blasted fyi I was in the country in Texas on about 3-4 acres of land. Blasting is super loud, messy and even after you only have 1 additional day max to get primer on it even with a protective coating which my guy put on right after. It also needs to be hooked up to a water source line. Make sure you ask what type of media they use for dustless. My guy used "Black Diamond Coal Slag" media, he said it was the best for rust.
I did some prep work myself to ensure all paint, rust, old primer would be taken off.

I was also outside with no garage which didn't help but it worked out.
Photo below. I didn't take any photos of bare metal because I didn't have time it was a rush to get a coat of primer on it. I used Master Series.
I also opted to keep the tar-board on the tunnel because you can't purchase that OG stuff anymore.

I have been quote around $600 for media blasting my body, but it's only a 2 door so for you I would say $1,000 and IMO it's worth it. The guy who did my chassis took less than 2 hours.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

13mmSpanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

What's the consensus on when you should do this blasting back to bare metal? I'd like to do it now before I do any repairs so I can see what I'm dealing with.

However maybe it's better to weld in new metal in a few places and then have it blasted back to metal?
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to strip ALL the paint and prevent rust? Reply with quote

13mmSpanner wrote:
What's the consensus on when you should do this blasting back to bare metal? I'd like to do it now before I do any repairs so I can see what I'm dealing with.

However maybe it's better to weld in new metal in a few places and then have it blasted back to metal?

This is my opinion and by no means am I a classic car restorer expert, I'm learning from my 75 yr old Uncle who was a gear head and owned over 80 cars in his life but he's too old to "mess with cars". He is the brain, I'm the brawn. His way of doing things is not the way most people on this forum do things bec he is old school, i.e. someone suggested to me I can primer my car and then put fiberglass over it and my uncle said "no way jose", nope, nope nope!" Laughing

You have 2 options:

1: taking the car down to metal but only the parts that you feel need to be replaced. If you think there are rust spots, take a grinder/paint stripping to it a see what is there. If you are capable of replacing them do it before you media blast it. Why? Because when you media blast it you have to primer it within 2 days because of "flash rust".

Not only does this save you $, but you're leaving it in your hands which is always the best (unless you don't have the skills/tools/knowledge). Welding holes up is pretty easy. Heater channels, now that is another level.

Why spend the $ primering a car when you're going to have to replace/weld/ and basically have to primer it again when you're done with all said work.
If you are unsure of what is rusted and what is not...

2. Start off by media blasting the whole car and aspho/phos. acid or whatever you want/preping it so the metal doesn't flash rust, keep it in your garage/covered from elements i.e. what is the weather like in your area (humidity etc). It buys you SOME time, but not like 1 year. Then you can work bit by bit replacing the metal parts, once you're done with what you think you can do go to a shop to have the rest of the metal work done and then they can primer/paint it.

That is the way I see it.. good luck.

Mas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: