Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro: Driving with an axle removed...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

Is it possible to remove a front or rear axle on a Syncro and still operate it? If so, how would you do it and what parts and tools would be needed?

This would be for a field repair / limp home situation. I'm building a recovery kit to keep in my van.

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsmal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

Front axle... yes I believe it wouldn't cause any driveability issues, but getting them out physically would be a huge pain on the side of the road. You have to blow apart the suspension components to get them out (I think).

Rear axle... maybe if you engaged the rear locker and drove it very gently. I haven't removed the rear axles yet so I can't speak to the tools required there.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

Rear axle no problem, ive done it. The front however, you will need at least the outer cv house to keep the wheel bearing hub intact. I have an old junk front outer cv joint housing for just this purpose that i carry in my spare parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsmal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

candyman.. did you lock the rear diff?

I just had a thought on the front diff. If you only pull one then there’s a chance the one side would just spin the side gears inside the differential mechanism instead of the whole assembly, which is not ideal. It would probably be fine for a short distance but I wouldn’t want to drive like that continuously at freeway speeds.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

I've driven 85 miles on the freeway with only one rear axle installed. Locked the rear and it was fine. I had a decoupler and solid shaft at the time. So I could choose between front or rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive: unlock the rear and engage the decoupler. Opposite for rear wheel drive. I could feel the difference in handling between the two. Front felt more stable than one wheel drive in the rear. No damage to the drive train (that I know of).
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

I'll try and not make this a too long of a story, but last year we were down screwing around in SE Utah and I (made a bad choice) snapped one of my rear axles. Had a cheapy flaps replacement with us and threw in on. But the CV failed in 80 miles and destroyed the shaft in the process.

It was Memorial day weekend so we had no luck finding another cheap replacement, so we pointed it North as we had to be back to work on Tuesday. For 1000 miles I alternated from running the locker in the rear, to coupled w/o rear locker, to coupled w/ rear locked. Checked the temps (by hand) every 150 miles or so and all seemed good.

The only thing I noticed was that when I ran with only the rear locked, the output seal started to weep transmission oil on the side that the axle was still driving from. All I could figure was there must have been some kind of unbalanced torque that was being put on/in the transmission. You certainly can feel that unbalanced torque under acceleration. Once the new axle was installed, it has never shown any more signs of an oil weep.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Rear axle no problem, ive done it. The front however, you will need at least the outer cv house to keep the wheel bearing hub intact. I have an old junk front outer cv joint housing for just this purpose that i carry in my spare parts

Yup, you need the outer to support the bearing.

It's easy to get out if the outer is the broken one. It happened to me about 400 miles from home. Pulled out the axle, left the outer cv in, and drove home. That was about 50k miles and 8 years ago. No issues.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

nsmal wrote:
candyman.. did you lock the rear diff?

Nope, but it was only a short distance on a forest service road. So unlikely caused any issues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

Candyman, maybe the front diff alone was moving your van along to get you home? Seems like the coupling would activate in your scenario, right? Even without lockers... I broke the right rear outer CV in my '77 bus. The van would not move - lots of noise though. I initially thought I broke the transmission. Glad it was only a CV joint.

I do have a couple of old syncro outer CV's for the front. I think I will keep one (with my Sodo hub tool) in my kit.

Last edited by tjet on Fri May 31, 2019 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

Print this pic and put it in your Bentley in sec 40.23

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see how if you drove the van with no front CV axle, the bearing/hub would just "fall apart" in a short distance. I'm thinking like within 5 feet. Especially if you turned or went over a bump. You could put a large bolt in there, but keep in mind the original "bolt" (the stub axle) is torqued to 258 ft-lbs to hold the bearing together.

On both hubs (front and rear) the stub axle and nut holds the bearing together. The rear axle unbolts from the stub axle, but it takes a lot of effort and special tools to separate the front stub from the drive axle.

You could carry a used front stub axle.

Probably better to just carry a complete front CV axle cuz wherever you busted a front axle, you[re really stuck now and may need it to get out.

Here's a diagram of the rear hub too.

I drew these for Samba discussions. I drew the rear hub 'cuz we were discussing the myth of "rear bearing hub preload". Laughing Rolling Eyes
The myth "came about" in spite of the rear hub diagram (in the Bentley).

They are not "complete" and there could be errors.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri May 31, 2019 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

Sodo, I posted a question to Candyman above, but I'd like to hear your input as well Smile

If you broke (or removed) a rear axle or CV, will the VC detect this as a traction issue and activate the front diff (even a non-locker Syncro)?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Sodo, I posted a question to Candyman above, but I want your input as well.

If you broke (or removed) a rear axle or CV, will the VC detect this as a traction issue and activate the front diff (even a non-locker Syncro)?

Yes of course it would.

You would simply have a front wheel drive van. The VC would slip a little on takeoff then lock up.

In my imagination I think the VC would get hot if you drove fast. I'd be inclined to lock the rear and have one rear wheel pushing. And don't drive fast.

WHen I broke a rear axle at Mogfest I drove out of the hole with 3 wheel drive and back to camp. Here's changing a broken axle Monday morning on the Mogfest course.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

So, that's something a stock Syncro can do that a Jeep can't do (with open diffs). Cool
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

If the cage breaks and all the ball bearings fall out leaving only the inner race on the shaft you can drive it. The inner race is protecting the splines on the shaft and the outer race keeps the axle in place...makes some noise, but a lot less noise then you would think driving with the locker engaged on the rear. In fact, around town no noise 90% of the time.
Not something I would do at freeway speeds, but low speed on a trail or around town it does work.
Sounds blasphemous, but it is do-able if you do not have the tools or place the safely change it out right away.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Candyman, maybe the front diff alone was moving your van along to get you home? Seems like the coupling would activate in your scenario, right? Even without lockers... I broke the right rear outer CV in my '77 bus. The van would not move - lots of noise though. I initially thought I broke the transmission. Glad it was only a CV joint.

I do have a couple of old syncro outer CV's for the front. I think I will keep one (with my Sodo hub tool) in my kit.

Yes it was powered by the front. Unless the locker is on the rear would not drive with one shaft removed
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
tjet wrote:

Yes it was powered by the front. Unless the locker is on the rear would not drive with one shaft removed

If you do not lock the rear axles will not the rear diff spin excessively?
Granted you need it spinning beyond normal to engage the front VC.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
If you do not lock the rear axles will not the rear diff spin excessively?
Granted you need it spinning beyond normal to engage the front VC.

Depends what you consider excessive.

Teenager with dad’s Satellite Sebring 383cil *pedal to the metal* with one tire smoking is excessive. Speedo says 65mph, that smokin’ tire is going about 130mph. The spider gears are getting a workout, and they survive, Dad knows nothing beyond the condition of the passenger tire and melted rubber flung around the inside of the fender.

On the Syncro, IF:
    - one rear CV axle missing
    - in “front wheel drive”
    - VC solidified, (slipping a tiny amount)

Yes the empty flange would be spinning at a very slightly different RPM than the drive wheel. Thus the spider gears are slowly freewheeling , under zero load. They can spin under zero load, in an oil bath, for thousands of years.

Overheating or just over-using the Viscous Coupling (the VC) is a much bigger concern. So driving slower is good.

If the Syncro has a locker, load on the driving CV shaft “doubles” and then load on the VC Is reduced.

I can see no problem driving “home” like this because it’s not forever the driver can elect to drive “slower”.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

So, in a nutshell, in a non-locker Syncro, you can remove up to 2 axle assemblies and still operate it (Both front or both rear), or a locker or Peloquin equipped Syncro, (front-rear-both) you can remove 3 axles depending on locker location in a worst-case scenario and still limp it home. Nice.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Print this pic and put it in your Bentley in sec 40.23

My Bentley shows the front nut torque value at 236 ft lb.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Driving with an axle removed... Reply with quote

You can cut down an old outer front CV to make it easier to carry for front shaft removal.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: